• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'm glad you're excited about the new toy.

But indeed, your opinions about the sound are worth nothing until you compare them blind and level matched. That's just basic.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Anyone purchased the D70 from SHENZHENAUDIO on Amazon. After the 10% coupon on Amazon, it comes out just a little cheaper then drop+tax. But it looks like the dates amazon estimates are pretty much same time as when Drop would get here. Trying to see if anyone has ordered and if it takes less time then what amazon said.
I haven't bought the D70 that way but have bought plenty of gear from Shenzhenaudio through Amazon. They are a very reliable seller.

Moriarty

I'm glad you're excited about the new toy.

But indeed, your opinions about the sound are worth nothing until you compare them blind and level matched. That's just basic.

Jeez, man... I don't talk to people about their religion, so I'm not going to explain you how wrong is your attitude. I don't care you believe in Jesus, Flying Spaghetti Monster, Allah, Cthulhu or this strange Compare Them Blind diety you probably worship. It's your private thing. Untill you try convert people who don't care, of course. :facepalm:

I bought this DAC, because I love music. Well played. And I'm very happy how it play. Differences are obvious to me. And I don't have to prove it to anyone.

Moriarty

Impressions, part II.
Do you know "The Ambient Collection" Art of Noise? Beautiful remix, very relaxing. Highly recommend it. It is also well recorded. Sound is spacious, a lot of interesting things happen in the background. I know this record very well, all changes are obvious to me.

This time I was able to hear more than usually. I could localize sound effects more precisely. For instance, all these trains, cars, helicopters moving from one side to another. I could point with no hesitation where such object is in this very moment. Not only horizontally, but also vertically. I also know now, where waves hit a beach. Circa 4 to 5 meters from me, gently to the left.

I'm very happy I bought this DAC. Worth every penny. I only hope there will be no technical issues, Topping engineers should learn something after DX3Pro failures, I suppose... Anyway, they reacted well in this case, replacing damaged devices with no problem and fast. Professional attitude, I appreciate it. It was one of the reasons I trusted Topping and bought D70.

Reactions: MWC

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using RCA and Dynaudio Focus 110a, D70 connected to Raspberry pi 3 via USB. My hdd with music died day before Topping arrived, so I only left just with several albums (Slayer, Rebecca Pigeon and AC/DC), so no serious subjective listening tests yet performed. It's a level up for sure - even without burning in D70 sounds better than D50. Not even a sign of harshness, great instruments separation, better focus and soundstage, guitar sounds way more natural. Overall d70 sounds less "digital" than d50. Recently I tested Gustard x26, fantastic dac, a was shocked with SQ. Topping d70 didn't produce same wow effect, but it cost three times less and I'm totally satisfied for now with it.

Build quality superb also, even better than Gustard, solid and nice looking unit. Can't wait to try i2s and aes inputs.

Would you be able to spot them in an ABX?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Would you be able to spot them in an ABX?

Do I get to bet on the outcome?

I'm still trying to figure out what "sounds less digital" means. Fuzzier? Wow and flutter? Compressed?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Impressions, part II.
Do you know "The Ambient Collection" Art of Noise? Beautiful remix, very relaxing. Highly recommend it. It is also well recorded. Sound is spacious, a lot of interesting things happen in the background. I know this record very well, all changes are obvious to me.

This time I was able to hear more than usually. I could localize sound effects more precisely. For instance, all these trains, cars, helicopters moving from one side to another. I could point with no hesitation where such object is in this very moment. Not only horizontally, but also vertically. I also know now, where waves hit a beach. Circa 4 to 5 meters from me, gently to the left.

I'm very happy I bought this DAC. Worth every penny. I only hope there will be no technical issues, Topping engineers should learn something after DX3Pro failures, I suppose... Anyway, they reacted well in this case, replacing damaged devices with no problem and fast. Professional attitude, I appreciate it. It was one of the reasons I trusted Topping and bought D70.

Are you sure you didn't just
- put the volume a bit higher than usual ?
- sit closer to speakers than usual ?
- concentrate more than usual ?

Try to get back to your older DAC to check if you could un-hear the extra details / instrument localization.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Impressions, part II.

I just got mine today, and so far so good. I've got it plugged into USB on my Nvidia Shield, and it has had no issues or problems running anything so far from Tidal, Roon, Plex...

Always nice when stuff arrives promptly and works.. Bought from Shenzhen through Amazon on the 2nd.

gvl

Major Contributor
Good call, doing further digging on the Drop, it says that it just comes with a "warranty card" but nothing else mentioned about any warranty. Looks like I will just cancel my drop and order via shenzhen.

Good looking out!

One way or another you'll likely need to ship it to China on your dime for warranty work past 30 days. Topping fixed my DX7s, I didn't even have to provide any proof of purchase, return shipping was free. I think you'll be taken care of by Topping no matter where you buy.

MWC

@Moriarty Please don't take offence at some of these harsh, nit-picking statements and rather unsubtle suggestions-posed-as-questions from those who have not trained their ears to be accurate measuring instruments: those that have realised that their minds can all too easily be fooled, by sensory stimulation. They can't help themselves proselytising. They seem unable to do basic empathy and first ask themselves if their words might hurt another person, before they utter their science-as-religion dogma. Maybe you could, 'forgive them as they know not what they do'?

Last edited:

DeepSpace57

I had a look at the measurements of Schiit Modi 3. There seems to be huge losses /gains between inputs through USB and SPDIF. Amirm does not post such a conclusion for D70. I am wondering about what input among SPDIF, USB , opt and IIS provides the cleanest sound.

Veri

Master Contributor
I had a look at the measurements of Schiit Modi 3. There seems to be huge losses /gains between inputs through USB and SPDIF.

That was only in the preliminary review, review had been edited with proper usb performance I'm pretty sure..
For the D70 there are no audible differences. No need to worry. They all go into the same AKM receiver..

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
No, but I don't need to...

No, you don't. Nor do the people who claim to be kidnapped and anally probed by space aliens need to provide any evidence, either. After all, their buddies at UFO forums all agree with them, and who cares what those skeptical scientists think.

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
Wrt D70, I just read that some buyer returned his unit for the reason it sent loud pops in the speakers, on switch-on and changing tracks. Is this a case of one defective unit, or might there be some inherent issue ?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wrt D70, I just read that some buyer returned his unit for the reason it sent loud pops in the speakers, on switch-on and changing tracks. Is this a case of one defective unit, or might there be some inherent issue ?

According to what the user says Audiophonics answered him on that site, the D70 can't be used as a pre-amp before a power amp !?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

On day 2 for me... Not a click or pop yet. So far it's simply disappeared (in the best way).
I will be sure to post if I have an issue. So far so good.

Top Bottom