• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

jbar

Hi

I'm New here, must say I think the content is fantastic , I really like the measurement details and discussion.

Does anyone know if Okto are running a waiting list for orders or pre-orders, I tried filling in the contact form and sending email to info@ but I haven't heard anything back, perhaps they are just really oversubscribed.

J.

Veri

Master Contributor
Does anyone know if Okto are running a waiting list for orders or pre-orders, I tried filling in the contact form and sending email to info@ but I haven't heard anything back, perhaps they are just really oversubscribed.
Iirc they are still preparing for a new order phase since the initial pre-orders had been closed (they probably couldn't meet demand :D)

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So what is going on with the Domestic demo tour ?

There should be a couple more demo tour reports by now, but it has been radio silence.

Is the tour still active ?

nm4711

You don't understand me... Did you have 230v fuse ? I do not see any connection of the GND to the earth at IEC-230Vac. Mechanical switch on-off, fuse on live 230Vac and earthed signal ground are mandatory for CE regulation. The only one which is ok in Okto DAC is the chassis earthed. Take care with the CE regulation because it's not a joke.

Signal Ground is connected to earth over the chassis. The XLR connectors connect the signal ground to the mounting screws and they connect it to the chassis. Further more the DAC is grounded over the chassis too over one of the mounting screws.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I do not see any connection of the GND to the earth at IEC-230Vac.
It is in the picture:

1562657890359.png

I see that of course, but ... :D GND signal earthed over the chassis ? Ok, for me it's a bad design...to inject the noise pick up from the chassis directly in a GND signal...and do not have 230Vac fuse and mechanical switch... I am out from this DAC, sorry.

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
Talking about ground signal, whatever that means (screenshot from pin1problem.com) :

1562664243313.png

I might be misguided, but I guess the AES standard would take chassis earthing into account.

As for the lack of hardware on/off switch, it might raise an eyebrow, not aware of applicable regulations but in fact I'd rather have one - though such a blameless DAC as the RME ADI-2 has none, but it has an external SMPS - anyway you have to pull the plug when it starts smoking :oops:

rickyhgarcia

Please excuse my ignorance. Why the eight outputs? On most DAC´s there are only two outputs, easy, left and right channels. So, what comes out of the other six outputs? What input is required to get all eight outputs to work? As far as I know, maybe I am wrong, USB and optical carries two channels. There is no HDMI input, that I know could carry a multichannel digital signal, on the unit. Or perhaps this unit is meant for a different application, and not for a stereo home rig.

g29

Please excuse my ignorance. Why the eight outputs? On most DAC´s there are only two outputs, easy, left and right channels. So, what comes out of the other six outputs? What input is required to get all eight outputs to work? As far as I know, maybe I am wrong, USB and optical carries two channels. There is no HDMI input, that I know could carry a multichannel digital signal, on the unit. Or perhaps this unit is meant for a different application, and not for a stereo home rig.

Biamping, Triamping, Quadamping, Multi-channel audio, 2.1 stereo, 2.2 stereo, 7.1, digital XOs, digital delays and time aligning, etc. It can be used for a variety of applications.

USB can support more than 2 channels of audio just like USB soundcards with multiple inputs and outputs. HDMI carries both Audio and Video. Video uses up much more bandwidth than what audio does.

Last edited:

Anubhav

Forum Donor
Can anyone enlighten me with the price for DAC8 Stereo ? I can't see the price on the website as they have closed the orders due to limited production capability.
I can see DAC8 PRO is for 989 Euros.
Can anyone help me with the price for DAC8 Stereo ?

Thanks

g29

Can anyone enlighten me with the price for DAC8 Stereo ? I can't see the price on the website as they have closed the orders due to limited production capability.
I can see DAC8 PRO is for 989 Euros.
Can anyone help me with the price for DAC8 Stereo ?

Thanks
See post 351.

Post 351

wtsz

I am asking for advice. Should the DAC Topping D70, Topping D50s be the best for the Linear Acoustic amplifier (only RCA) and ELAC (stereo) or should it be worth paying extra for the Okto 8Dac stereo?

Last edited:

g29

I am asking for advice. Should the DAC Topping D70, Topping D50s be the best for the Linear Acoustic amplifier (only RCA) and ELAC (stereo) or should it be worth paying extra for the Okto 8Dac stereo?

The OKTO DAC8 Stereo does not do RCA and they advise against XLR to RCA cable usage.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It is expected to do so.

Veri

Master Contributor
Ok, thanks. D70 or d50 or.....?
The D70 is solid especially with the ~$400 sales going on. If you want a high-end DAC, that's the one I would go for.

Top Bottom