• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Twst

Serious case of envy. I'm seriously considering getting an OCTO8 later this year, but, of course, it wont have the miniDSP nanoSHARK module. :(

I hear you - the DAC8 DSP is a great all in one solution.
It's too bad about the nanosharc modules, but you could go the PRO route and attach a computer for the crossovers via a software like Audiolense or equivalent. It might take you even further :)

That beeing said, I am not parting with the DSP anytime soon!
It's clearly been laid a significant amount of thought for the details and the operation of the unit.
The miniDSP software is familiar, and a breeze to set up. Laying out all the crossovers for each of the eight channels seems to work perfect. I like that one could set up profiles(diffrent xoverfreq,slopes,eq,etc) in the minidsp software and access them with the remote control via the menu of the DAC8. Giving it the set and forget kind of feel, but still able to tweak it a little while listening.
Changing inputs, adjusting volume and the menus is responsive and laid out exactly as one would expect - along with the great dimmable display giving the unit a overall solid feel.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear you - the DAC8 DSP is a great all in one solution.
It's too bad about the nanosharc modules, but you could go the PRO route and attach a computer for the crossovers via a software like Audiolense or equivalent. It might take you even further :)

That beeing said, I am not parting with the DSP anytime soon!
It's clearly been laid a significant amount of thought for the details and the operation of the unit.
The miniDSP software is familiar, and a breeze to set up. Laying out all the crossovers for each of the eight channels seems to work perfect. I like that one could set up profiles(diffrent xoverfreq,slopes,eq,etc) in the minidsp software and access them with the remote control via the menu of the DAC8. Giving it the set and forget kind of feel, but still able to tweak it a little while listening.
Changing inputs, adjusting volume and the menus is responsive and laid out exactly as one would expect - along with the great dimmable display giving the unit a overall solid feel.
I think my solution will pair a miniDSP SHD Studio with an OCTO 8 PRO. Adds an extra box and an extra $500 or so to the cost, but gets me there.

nm4711

I think my solution will pair a miniDSP SHD Studio with an OCTO 8 PRO. Adds an extra box and an extra $500 or so to the cost, but gets me there.

You could also try to use a nanoDIGI. S/PDIF is more ore less the same fromat as AES/EBU. Maybe you would need some transformers.

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Figured someone would be interested, so I took a quick shot of the internals of the newly arrived DAC8 DSP. :)
View attachment 28769

TWST,

Is this the demo tour unit or a production unit ? If it is a production unit, can we see a pict of the back panel ?

TIA

Twst

TWST,

Is this the demo tour unit or a production unit ? If it is a production unit, can we see a pict of the back panel ?

TIA

It's a production unit. However the DAC8 DSP was a limited run.
I think there was a picture of the back face a couple of pages back - anyway here you go;
20190701_185952-3024x2268.jpg

:)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Serious case of envy. I'm seriously considering getting an OCTO8 later this year, but, of course, it wont have the miniDSP nanoSHARK module. :(
What is the miniDSP nanoSHARK module being replaced by?

g29

What is the miniDSP nanoSHARK module being replaced by?

Nothing, miniDSP has shelved their production.

Legacy products
The following miniDSP products are no longer offered for sale. The End of Support dates for discontinued products are listed below. For more information on support plans and spare-part availability, please contact miniDSP tech support.

miniDSP EOL products

Last edited:

kn0ppers

I think miniSharc Modules are still available somewhere, they should also work? The naming would lead me to believe the Mini has more features than the Nano? Edit: I see, they are quite different. I will have to read up on that.

Where is the fuse ? The signal ground doesn't have earth connection ? Where is the mechanical switch ?

g29

None, miniDSP has shelved their production.

Legacy products
The following miniDSP products are no longer offered for sale. The End of Support dates for discontinued products are listed below. For more information on support plans and spare-part availability, please contact miniDSP tech support.

miniDSP EOL products
I think miniSharc Modules are still available somewhere, they should also work? The naming would lead me to believe the Mini has more features than the Nano? Edit: I see, they are quite different. I will have to read up on that.

The posted miniDSP link indicates that the miniSharc was also deprecated and placed into the Legacy Products category in 2019.

g29

Is there any way to sync a microphone's clock with the DAC8 PRO (short of using an 8-channel sound card and AES3 inputs) so one can get accurate phase and timing measurements (for use with DRC applications such as Audiolense and/or Acourate) ?

TIA

kn0ppers

The posted miniDSP link indicates that the miniSharc was also deprecated and placed into the Legacy Products category in 2019.

At not point did I deny that, I just stated that unlike the NanoSharc modules, MiniSharc Modules are still available (from more than one source).

g29

Figured someone would be interested, so I took a quick shot of the internals of the newly arrived DAC8 DSP. :)
View attachment 28769

The power supplies look different/partially populated (heatsinks, number of caps, etc.) as well as the grounding and power switch.

index.php

DSCF8003.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MWC

Okto Research

A little teaser ahead of the launch...
DSCF8787_1.jpg

I'd definitely prefer a grooveless knob, too. Mentor's program (https://www.mentor-bauelemente.de/katalog/k/MENTOR-K.pdf) seems somewhat limited, but they have a picture on page 23 with a very nice looking, plain silver knob without grooves which, unfortunately, I'm unable to find listed in the catalog. If this were avaliable in the correct size in black, I'd be all over it.
The knob in the picture is just a render I'm afraid. We have contacted Mentor on Monday regarding a custom/modified knob, but haven't received a reply yet.

Where is the fuse ? The signal ground doesn't have earth connection ? Where is the mechanical switch ?
There is one on the secondary for digital circuitry, while the analog voltages provided by the PSU are short-circuit proof. The signal ground is connected to earth. A mechanical switch is not present on our products, we prefer soft switching and in case of DAC8 DSP, you generally want to keep the Raspberry running so it is accessible from the network.

Bliman

A little teaser ahead of the launch...
View attachment 29062

The knob in the picture is just a render I'm afraid. We have contacted Mentor on Monday regarding a custom/modified knob, but haven't received a reply yet.

There is one on the secondary for digital circuitry, while the analog voltages provided by the PSU are short-circuit proof. The signal ground is connected to earth. A mechanical switch is not present on our products, we prefer soft switching and in case of DAC8 DSP, you generally want to keep the Raspberry running so it is accessible from the network.
Thanks for the info. Any comments on the new layout in post416?

You don't understand me... Did you have 230v fuse ? I do not see any connection of the GND to the earth at IEC-230Vac. Mechanical switch on-off, fuse on live 230Vac and earthed signal ground are mandatory for CE regulation. The only one which is ok in Okto DAC is the chassis earthed. Take care with the CE regulation because it's not a joke.

Top Bottom