• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile Reviews Dutch & Dutch 8C

MSNWatch

Kalman Rubinson wrote a very complementary review and JA's says to conclude his measurements: "all I can say is "Wow!"
FR +/- 1.4 dB from 200Hz to 15KHz.

OP
M

MSNWatch

From that Stereophile Aug 2019 review:

Attachments

• Stereophile1.jpg
    Stereophile1.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 421
  • Stereophile2.jpg
    Stereophile2.jpg
    681.7 KB · Views: 396

maty

Major Contributor
https://www.stereophile.com/content/dutch-dutch-8c-active-loudspeaker-system-measurements

The green trace above 200Hz in fig.2 shows the D&D speaker's farfield response with an analog input signal, averaged across a 30° horizontal window centered on the tweeter axis. The response is superbly flat, remaining within ±1.4dB limits from 200Hz to 15kHz! However, the output rolls off sharply above 20kHz, reaching full stop-band attenuation just above 24kHz. This suggests that the 8c's internal digital signal processing operates with a sample rate of 48kHz.

719DD8Cfig2.jpg

Fig.2 Dutch & Dutch 8C, anechoic response on tweeter axis at 50", averaged across 30° horizontal window and corrected for microphone response, with the nearfield woofer (blue) and subwoofer (red) responses and their complex sum (green), respectively plotted below 300Hz, 350Hz, and 300Hz.

Wombat

Master Contributor

maty

Major Contributor
The 8c's cumulative spectral-decay plot (fig.6) is one of the cleanest I have measured, especially in the treble! In summing up the Dutch & Dutch 8c's measured performance, all I can say is "Wow!"—John Atkinson

719DD8Cfig6.jpg

Fig.6 Dutch & Dutch 8C, cumulative spectral-decay plot on tweeter axis at 50" (0.15ms risetime).

sfdoddsy

Whilst I love that Stereophile does measurements (something Sound and Vision seems to have stopped) I’m still bugged by JA’s bass hedge.

If his measuring technique consistently produces a bump in the bass (which it seems to) why not make an allowance for that in the same way we do for other measurements?

That aside, very impressive measurements.

I’d love to seem them side by side with the equivalent KEF or Revel.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
That bump really should be seen in stereophile's measurement. It comes from Atkinson's measuring technique which he has explained. I can't give a link now with the phone.

sfdoddsy

Yep, I’m aware of that.

Every measurement he’s done has the same bump and the same explanation for it.

My point is that given this is a consistent glitch, would it not make sense for him to allow for it so we get a better idea of the true bass extension?

His in-room measurements kind of do this and one for the D&D would have been far more useful, especially since the D&D raison d’etre Is taking the room away.

sfdoddsy

That’s the question I guess.

Form wise the M126, KEF Reference 1 or TAD Evolution?
Or do these new speakers transcend that?

Then again, HiFi News had the KEF R3 measuring very close to the Kii.

Given the evidence-based nature of what is being claimed, I’d love to see some evidence-based testing.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There are some really fine measuring speakers available, the Kiis/8Cs have an advantage though when the speaker is actually placed in a room.
It is immediately apparent when you hear them compared side by side with any other design.
Keith

sfdoddsy

Again, that is my point.

Kal did not mention the Revel Salons (his long-term reference I believe).

I'm curious if this new generation supercedes such venerable speakers.

Some discussion form JA about why they measure so well compared to other speakers would have nice. He did with LS50.

Mind you, it's kind of odd that he did not remeasure after discovering Kal's EQ, in which case the measurements may have been even better.

:)

If you talk, as the review did, about a new generation I feel you need to refer back to old generation.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are some really fine measuring speakers available, the Kiis/8Cs have an advantage though when the speaker is actually placed in a room.
It is immediately apparent when you hear them compared side by side with any other design.

You've listened and compared them with every other design of speakers?

WOW! I am indeed impressed!

However, I don't understand the meaning of "advantage" in this context? Are you implying that they don't have an advantage outdoors?

----------------------------------

Snark Attack.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Well, I didn’t compare them to omni’s, dipoles or those single driver speakers with whizzer cones because that would have just been a waste of time.
Keith

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those measurements in Stereophile do look in several ways to be better than anything they've ever tested before now. So maybe it will be superseded in a few years time. So then you'll have maybe the 2nd best speaker made. I hope for trickle down effects, but see no reason those wanting the best now and know they are early adopters would hesitate.

Top Bottom