• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try both and see if it produces and audible difference for you.
I already have. In my perception, I'd say that full level sounds more forward... But this is nothing relevant without proper double blind test. And this kind of test is almost impossible to practice at home as I can't match the level precisely with the amp'

Damian

You could also simply use the +7 dBu setting at 0 dB volume. The difference to full 2V (-1 dB) max output level (something you most probably not set) is too small to notice, or worry, or meaningless because you stay several dBs below that max volume anyway. The advantage of using +13 dBu with reduced volume is a bit less THD and more headroom for intersample peaks (theoretical advantage). But you loose 4.5 dB of SNR this way (theoretical disadvantage). Theoretical, because you won't be able to hear either.

No. Reducing volume lowers SNR, as in any device that uses digital volume control. The concept of multiple Ref Levels performs the opposite, it helps to maintain the maximum SNR as good as possible. Even at lower Ref Levels.

If not audible what is the setting for? Excuse my ignorance.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, as I’m planning to buy it, could you provide examples of usage?
Yep. Apart from all DSP functions you could explore, setting the output level precisely has several advantages. If used variable, it does the preamp function with acurrate adjustments. If used as a fix output, you may adjust it in purpose to be more suited to any headamp/amp sensitivity.

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Mine is due for delivery mid July. :rolleyes:

I will be using the RCA output to my Arcam amp via the fixed volume to allow my amp to do the volume adjustments.
Is the output level something I need to concern myself with?

Sparky

Forum Donor
According to @MC_RME answering me:

- Auto Ref Level: Off
- Ref Level: +7Dbu
- Set the volume at 0db and set "Volume Lock" On. And it's done.

Thank you very much for that! :)

I feel a little more at ease now. Its horrible when you doubt your capabilities, especially with a DAC as advanced as this one! o_O

Damian

Mine is due for delivery mid July. :rolleyes:

I will be using the RCA output to my Arcam amp via the fixed volume to allow my amp to do the volume adjustments.
Is the output level something I need to concern myself with?

Once you get the unit, can you report on the differences between connecting headphones (assuming you have good ones?) to the RME and to the Arcam? Which model you have?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Once you get the unit, can you report on the differences between connecting headphones (assuming you have good ones?) to the RME and to the Arcam? Which model you have?
Hum. I guess his Arcam amp is a speaker amp. By the way, I know none headphone amp in the Arcam line that would perform better than the ADI-2 DAC for that purpose.

Sparky

Forum Donor
VintageFlanker is correct.
The Arcam is a 2 channel AVR so no headphones I'm afraid.
I do plan on getting some decent headphones or IEMs in the near future though. :)

Sparky

Forum Donor
He's also right in that there is nothing in the Arcam line that even comes close to the RME for headphone output ability.

Sparky

Forum Donor
This may be a daft question to most of you guys but I just wanted to know.....
Whatever I connect to the RME and output in analogue whether it be RCA or Balanced, am I hearing the RME or the amp?

This is obviously when you're using the DAC to feed an amplifier for speakers and not headphones.

In my mind, the analogue signal sent from the RME will pass through the amplifier which will then "colour" the signal depending on its topology as far as the analogue output stage is concerned.

Am I looking at this in the wrong way??

McFly

This may be a daft question to most of you guys but I just wanted to know.....
Whatever I connect to the RME and output in analogue whether it be RCA or Balanced, am I hearing the RME or the amp?

This is obviously when you're using the DAC to feed an amplifier for speakers and not headphones.

In my mind, the analogue signal sent from the RME will pass through the amplifier which will then "colour" the signal depending on its topology as far as the analogue output stage is concerned.

Am I looking at this in the wrong way??

I dont actually know but I believe the converted digital signal (post DAC chip) must be passed through "OP amps" to get it up to a line level - which is then split to the RCA, XLR outs and also the internal headphone amplifier, which is the second stage of amplification for phones and IEMs. I could be way off.

Sparky

Forum Donor
Hi.

It's a funny one isn't it.
I would like to think that the amp just passes the signal straight to the speaker binding posts untouched but I think you may be right....

I used to have a Yamaha AS2100 and it had the most beautifully designed analogue stage I've ever seen!
Both channels were separate, balanced and completely clean.
Lovely sound and those big Mosfets! Wow.
Should've kept it but it was an absolute beast! :oops:

I'm going to research this but I have a feeling its a subject that has no easy answer!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New firmware out! (and new USB driver as well)

ADI-2 DAC

- The currently loaded EQ Preset stays valid after a reboot (if it wasn't modified). That also solves the EQ Preset name in the new Details Top screen to no longer change to 'Manual' after reboot.

- To make ON and OFF messages easier to recognize ON now features a light green background, OFF a light grey one, and OFF and ON are in capital letters which also improves readability.

- Brought back Standby button to interrupt the AutoDark mode.

- Changed 'DIM' to 'Dim'

General

- Added phones removal to interrupt the AutoDark mode.

Firmware downloads

Win:
http://www.rme-audio.de/download/fut_madiface_win.zip

Mac:
http://www.rme-audio.de/download/fut_madiface_mac.zip

Driver: http://www.rme-audio.de/download/driver_madiface_win_09685.zip

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks, and you're welcome! The ADIs are really a lot of fun. To read all the posts about them, and being able to react on feedback plus improving the units (make you love them more...) is a great way to keep developers motivated! I have another surprise in my drawer for next week... :p

Top Bottom