• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Canjam SoCal Headphone and Audio Show 2019

hangcheng

Spent some time at Sennheiser booth. Tried these bluetooth IEMs:
View attachment 28115

Problem I had with them that they were so easy to lose. Not for active listening.

Listened to the closed back HD-800s headphones. Was surprised that the signature did not match that of HD-800. It was closer to HD-650 but not as nice.

View attachment 28116
hi amirm, for your ear, hd820 sounds even worse than hd650? i have a hd820.....

Veri

Master Contributor
hi amirm, for your ear, hd820 sounds even worse than hd650? i have a hd820.....
hd820 sounds really wide for a closed back and does not sound 'bad' whatsoever, but for its price it sounds less balanced than hd800/hd800s, and in terms of absolute accurate tone or 'timbre' I agree that the hd650 beats it. But hd650 sounds very closed in and has a rather big roll-off in the low-end, the hd820 has much more accurate bass with a very nice heft to it.

So no, the hd650 is not objectively 'better' of course, but it does some things right that the hd820 does not which in itself is a rather poor showing for a $2,399.95 (!!) headphone. I know people like you that own one and are quite happy with it, so personal preference plays a huge part, as always.

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Mimizone

Thanks for your notes

And you successfully avoided taking pictures of me. So I hope I was not one of those holding the seats too long. Always tried to check behind my back once in while to see if there was a line. Surprisingly there was only a few times that somebody behind me was waiting.

I’d like to spec out a setup for the Raal. The imaging and softness of the sound is so different. And I like the idea of the speakers floating in mid air next to your ear. The large Abyss does the same to me since I have a small head. It really gives a nice natural imaging without the pressure and presence of headphones pads on your skull.

Too bad you didn’t have a tag name. I was looking forward to meeting you.
I looked hard everywhere for an asian lady in a traditional outfit like on your profile picture though.

Fone

I didn't know RAAL made headphones. I'll have to have a listen

I have heard the RAAL ribbon "tweeters" on a few "unlimited budget" horn systems. The ribbons were the only "affordable" items on those systems.

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, did you have the chance to chat with Mr. Watts? I guess he probably heard about your reviews.
I did not. Was going to correct something he said in his talk but QA time ran out.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning

solderdude

Grand Contributor
0db.co.kr have also measured all 3. Both HD 820 and HD 650 show poor bass performance and HD 800S isn't very good either.

My measurements of HD820, HD650 and HD800S
I don't understand the HD650 plots from 0dB.co.kr.
I have never seen any channel mismatch and weird HF response on any HD650
They sound exactly how I measure them.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Did you mean similar to their corrected response ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, that's what you said ...

raw HD650 Rtings:
raw-frequency-response-l-graph.png

10dB difference at 3kHz, 15dB difference at 10kHz

mine:
fr-hd650.png

compensated Rtings:

frequency-response-graph.png

which is closer ?

But let's get back on topic please ... the Canjam show (could not attend as is on the other side of the globe)

Last edited:

Mr. Olinad

Definitely not Cao's first CanJam. He was in Singapore in March, I spoke to him there and then and breached the idea of sending their stuff over to ASR there as well. You can ask if he recalls that though. ( I was the guy who has the HPA-3B he had on the desk.)

Maybe they are there under their own flag for the first time, as in Singapore, they were under Shenzhen Audio's booth.

Oh forgot to add, if you can get into a short enough queue, go audition the Raal SR1a headphones and share what you think of it.
If there is a unique headphone worth your time to check out, that's probably the one.

The first thing I looked at that table was that HPA-3B.
For a moment I thought they'd bring it back.
I'd feel pretty bad if it has happened right after I have joined to one of the THX 789 drops :p.

AndrewDavis

Our favorite vendor, Synergistic Audio was there I think selling some kind of table to put your gear on. Supposedly, it stops the stray electrons from leaking below your gear (kidding):

As I read this I thought you were joking, but I still had some doubt. If these guys can sell some of the stuff they do, then an electron table isn't far behind!

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I don't understand this. Why should they care who you are?

If you have been to trade shows as members of the trade/press rather than the general public, you'll see why.
The first thing I looked at that table was that HPA-3B.
For a moment I thought they'd bring it back.
I'd feel pretty bad if it has happened right after I have joined to one of the THX 789 drops :p.
The HPA-3B is a pretty decent balanced output amp with a lot of grunt. But i'm pretty sure its not quite SOTA like the THX 789.

Based on Matrix's old specs, think it should top out at around 105-108dB for SINAD numbers.

For all purposes, its more than good for listening though.

Top Bottom