• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

Jim777

Forum Donor
This product would be a no-brainer if it had room correction. Without that, I guess I'll stick to a simpler DAC/pre-amp.

If a product is going to include both the streamer and the DAC (i.e. if the only input isn't optical+coax), I feel it should also do room correction or at least have a parametric EQ like the RME. Otherwise, I can't integrate external room correction with the product's USB/network audio sources (unless I'm missing something, correct me if I'm wrong).

Yviena

This product would be a no-brainer if it had room correction. Without that, I guess I'll stick to a simpler DAC/pre-amp.

If a product is going to include both the streamer and the DAC (i.e. if the only input isn't optical+coax), I feel it should also do room correction or at least have a parametric EQ like the RME. Otherwise, I can't integrate external room correction with the product's USB/network audio sources (unless I'm missing something, correct me if I'm wrong).
You can do room correction with convolution if your player supports it

Yviena

@amirm when the matrix sabre pro arrives, would you mind doing jitter test with async/sync, and jitter on/off, as there are still some people who say sync, jitter off sounds better without showing proof.
Though I believe when using the USB input that the only thing sync/async does is toggling between the CCHD 957 USB clock, and the CCHD 950 Sabre clock.

gvl

Major Contributor
@amirm
Though I believe when using the USB input that the only thing sync/async does is toggling between the CCHD 957 USB clock, and the CCHD 950 Sabre clock.

It should turn off ASRC on the DAC chip as a side effect.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm when the matrix sabre pro arrives, would you mind doing jitter test with async/sync, and jitter on/off, as there are still some people who say sync, jitter off sounds better without showing proof.
Sure.

gvl

Major Contributor
Oh so it's not just switching the clock used?

It is switching the clock, but as the DAC now runs synchronously with the incoming data the ASRC is not needed. If you think about it sync mode is the most direct and desired mode of DAC operation, however it doesn't necessarily perform better technically as now much depends on other factors such as PCB design and what not, that's why most ESS based DACs just use a cookbook approach and have the chips run asynchronously with ASRC enabled. I think you couldn't even disable ASRC/enable sync mode on earlier ESS chips.

Yviena

It is switching the clock, but as the DAC now runs synchronously with the incoming data the ASRC is not needed. If you think about it sync mode is the most direct and desired mode of DAC operation, however it doesn't necessarily perform better technically as now much depends on other factors such as PCB design and what not, that's why most ESS based DACs just use a cookbook approach and have the chips run asynchronously with ASRC enabled. I think you couldn't even disable ASRC/enable sync mode on earlier ESS chips.
i see, so properly engineered there probably isn't a big difference running it in sync then.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey guy, look at our official site, element M is a bit lower model, the same streamer section, but 9028 dac chip, unbalanced headphone amp, and digital volume control, etc.
We will also announce much lower streamer combo model and even stand-alone streamer model (with only digital output) in the future.

Not many Chinese manufacturers understand good industrial design. You guys clearly nailed it. Congratulations.

gvl

Major Contributor
So smooth, so musical and natural, it is again unbelievable that this is not a NOS (non-over-sampling) R2R design.

NOS R2R is a high bar, indeed. And he almost invoked the "wife argument", but I suppose she wasn't very impressed as he didn't.

Zog

NOS R2R is a high bar, indeed. And he almost invoked the "wife argument", but I suppose she wasn't very impressed as he didn't.
So he's damned if he does (invoke the wife argument) and damned (with an inference) if he doesn't.

Bamyasi

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @MatrixAudio

Does Element M have the “ESS Sabre hump” ?

Also, the website states Element M is mid-range model in Element series - which product is the entry/budget model in Element series?

Top Bottom