• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Let's not have generic debates in every review thread that this and that is good enough. Post a review, readers want to learn more about the product in the rest of the thread rather than arguments that can't be settled and are generic to every review.

Krunok

Major Contributor
This entire industry is of things that cost way too much, this unit is not one. Besides your definition of engineering is for an operating company where they utilize an engineer for their needs to make a fit-for-purpose product while minimizing overhead cost not where they are a business company selling something for profit. Any company looking to make a profit will not sell things at cost. It just happens to be this specific company is run by engineers who believe in best design products while making a profit.

My definition is not only for "operating" companies, but for any company that operates in non-luxury segment. For example, of course Rolex watches are ridiculously expensive because they main purpose is not to show time, but rather to show off. They are status symbols, not chronometers that measure time. I understand it, I also own few of such products and they give me pleasure of owning, driving etc.

But please, just don't claim such DAC specs are needed for good sound - be in inlie with Rolex owners which are not claiming Rolex measure time better than atom watches. ;)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, over engineered. Calling such products a "state of the art" and providing a clever marketing to make people buy them is totally wrong...

Engineering is not about about designing a product with the best possible specs, it is about designing a cheapest product which meets the reasonably defined specs.
Totally wrong? Totally? Categorically unethical to call the best product out there SOA? Better to call it 'over engineered'? I don't know. That sounds like part of the 'everyone is a winner' line of thinking that I mentioned. Again, I'm more a 'best is the enemy of the good' kind of guy.

I did not know that calling something SOA 'makes' people buy things. I am happy to be corrected on this, but it seems to me that people buy a lot of stuff that I'd never consider SOA. Only average, or even less. I think a lot of people buy things based on brand recognition. Or a sexy girl in an advertisement. In audio, people often buy things because of something they've read in a magazine, or maybe it was something they were told by an audio store sales jockey. A lot of the goofy high priced audio gear is certainly not hawked as SOA, but rather because of 'magical' properties.

I think our disagreement boils down to the simple fact that you and I have a different idea of what constitutes the concept, SOA. I don't reduce it to marketing.

What you next define as 'engineering' is really an exercise in product development, sales and marketing. I'll tell you how it works. The engineering team meets with a marketing and manufacturing team, and are told a set of goals and price points. They are often given a parts bin to work with, and tasked to design a product within certain parameters. Yes. That is an example of a kind of engineering. But it is not engineering to SOA specs. State of the art is designing the best that can be produced. Period.

My guess is that if you go to a company like Sony, the former situation is what you get. If you go to a company like Benchmark, or Matrix, you get a group of engineers whose first goal is designing the best product they can build and sell. Period. In the final analysis you have to choose what's important to you. Is the Matrix better than a DAC 3 HGC? Well you do get streaming, but no preamp. It costs a thousand dollars more. Can you reliably tell a sonic difference between either the Matrix or Benchmark, and, say, a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus in a DBT? Probably not. But, again, you don't get streaming with one, or a preamp in the other. But you can save $1500 to $2500 with the latter. However it is, I'd never call a DACmagic Plus SOA. It's pretty good, maybe even excellent, for its price point.

Finally, as good as the Matrix measures, it evidently has some ergonomic problems--problems described in the review. So when I say it is SOA, I'm just talking about what the company has done with the DAC implementation. That is all.

PS: I don't like to give advice, but since you brought up tires, I'd advise everyone to buy the best tires they can afford. Be careful of super low profile tires, though, unless you drive a sports car, or live in Michigan and like bent rims. :)

Krunok

Major Contributor
Let's not have generic debates in every review thread that this and that is good enough. Post a review, readers want to learn more about the product in the rest of the thread rather than arguments that can't be settled and are generic to every review.

I agree. As you seem to be acting Mod now I suggest you move this discussion to a new thread with a title "Luxury DACs - do they sound better or their specs only look better?".

Krunok

Major Contributor
I think our disagreement boils down to the simple fact that you and I have a different idea of what constitutes the concept, SOA.

Exactly. IMHO DAC is not an art item. Some loudspeakers are. Some watches also are, but DACs are not. :D

PS: I don't like to give advice, but since you brought up tires, I'd advise everyone to buy the best tires they can afford. Be careful of super low profile tires, though, unless you drive a sports car, or live in Michigan and like bent rims. :)

I fully agree with this. And be carefully with semi slick (track day) tires as they don't hold well with normal road driving as they simply cannot reach operating temperature. They also suck when raining. :)

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Over engineered? Well, the game we are playing is, after all, engineering. Right? It seems that there are two points of view in play. First, the best is the enemy of the good. Second, there are no winners here; everyone gets a ribbon just for participating.

To my mind, the point is to reward engineering excellence. If company A can produce a device that is SOA for a 'reasonable' price, then that is what I want to buy, regardless of whether the DAC can be subjectively distinguished from its lesser counterpart. I like excellence. But that's just me. On the other hand, if pretty good is good enough, then a consumer has a choice of a lot of other audio engines, for a lot less expense. At the same time, consumers have a lot of pretty good (and sometimes not so good) options for a lot more dollars than this particular DAC/Streamer. So you pays your money and makes your choice, depending upon what's important to you, and what your pocketbook can stand.
There is the danger of falling into the same trap as the subjectivists here. Subjectively someone might believe a particular product sounds better than another. The truth, when tested, can't tell the difference between one or another. Objectively measured better, the truth, can't tell the difference between one or another.;)
However, it's a great product and if people want to spend their money on it at least they are buying something that performs.
It's nice looking, a complaint I have with some of the cheaper equally well performing in the audible range products is they can look pretty ghastly.
I don't know what the companies reliability or customer service reputation is like and this would be important for me.
I think for some the product has more features than many would use and of course you have to pay for those.
Now if they made one in black I might change my mind. After all, it's the looks that matter at this level because you can have adequate performance for a lot less cash.;)

johan

Audio Company
Hi Amir

on RCA output what is the THD ratio ? I assume something close to -120 to -122 ?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi Amir

on RCA output what is the THD ratio ? I assume something close to -120 to -122 ?
-118.5 from averaged 0.000119%THD if I didn't botch the calculation.

johan

Audio Company
I am wondering who here would like a Miss Universe contestant as a friend .

Looks and measurements don't matter ..... ?

Human nature did not change.

Sunship

There's one thing I look for in every new DAC and am always dissapointed to not find: An analog-in.
The Benchmark DAC1 Pre / HDR / DAC2 and DAC3 have that and let you connect a turntable, you can really use them as preamps.

The Benchmark hybrid volume control with digital control (And passive attenuators) on digital + Analog control on analog in is so perfect (Functionally) that I cannot think of an alternative other than the Auralic Vega G2 (But this one doesn't have passive attenuators and its output is too high for my system).

www.sunshipaudio.com

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There's one thing I look for in every new DAC and am always dissapointed to not find: An analog-in.
The Benchmark DAC1 Pre / HDR / DAC2 and DAC3 have that and let you connect a turntable, you can really use them as preamps.
Yeh, it is a miss for me too a I have a Reel to Reel as another input and hate to use a pre-amp (as I do now) just for that.

Sunship

Did you ever measure the analog section of the Benchmark's volume control?
I'd be curious to see if their HPA4/LA4 preamp improves on the two sections and by how much.
I imagine (Maybe wrongly) that it doesn't really improve the digital volume control, knowing that you can adjust the passive jumpers to match your amp, but is probably better than the built-in analog volume control.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really can't see what is stopping you to realise from the measurements of the analog output of the DACs that we have entered the "overkill" zone at least a decade ago?

Let me come with the brutal analogy here.. Let's assume we have a technology to produce shoes that last 150 years for $150. Would you buy shoes that last 250 years for $1000? My guesss would be that nobody would.

An excellent analogy, it even has the exact same flaw as the original argument.

The answer to your analogy: YES I‘ll buy the 250 years shoes for $1000, IF they are more comfy and/or better looking.

Finding the corresponding flaw in the original argument is left as an exercise to the reader :)

Krunok

Major Contributor
I am wondering who here would like a Miss Universe contestant as a friend .

Looks and measurements don't matter ..... ?

Human nature did not change.

Of course they do, but let's not mix form and function. DAC's function is to be neutral to the ear while form shouldn't matter much. Miss Universe doesn't have a function but form should look nice and measure well. :D

Top Bottom