• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder which will top the chart. Okto DAC8 STEREO, or matrix :D

Okto Research is most likely breaking out the last minute spit and polish on the DAC8 STEREO after reading this review.

gvl

Major Contributor
Given the 9038PRO part itself is spec'd at 122dB THD+N it would seem the spit and polish, literally, may work just as well as other tricks.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Given the 9038PRO part itself is spec'd at 122dB THD+N it would seem the spit and polish, literally, may work just as well as other tricks.
At this level, it's really just about tricks. Can always reduce noise by paralleling, and for distortion just fine tune the thd compensation.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
The third harmonic is landing on 60 Hz mains frequency here so that is probably not the right harmonic distortion level.

LOL... I should have realized that! Thanks, Amir.

gvl

Major Contributor
At this level, it's really just about tricks. Can always reduce noise by paralleling, and for distortion just fine tune the thd compensation.

I doubt Okto will add another ESS chip. They did say the extra channels are paralleled in the Stereo version, but Matrix probably did the same. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I doubt Okto will add another ESS chip. They did say the extra channels are paralleled in the Stereo version, but Matrix probably did the same. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Yeah so in the end there should be virtually no difference.

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning

This is what Okto is currently publishing and they said they have a surprise coming.

0.000032% / -130dB full-scale THD (Total Harmonic Distortion)

0.0001% / -120dB full-scale THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise)

131dBA dynamic range

0.00022% / -113dB THD+N @ 100mW into 32 Ohms headphone output

deafenears

Forum Donor
0.00022% / -113dB THD+N @ 100mW into 32 Ohms headphone output
Combined headphone amp?

EDIT: Ah, nvm. I just saw the specs and that's the Stereo version, which includes headphone output.

Yviena

We have probably reached the end in audible performance in the new DAC chips like 9038PRO, I would rather have ESS focus on improving the filters, and modulator, currently software filters still technically do a much better job, and in some cases it could be audible.
@amirm have you ever thought about measuring stuff using HQplayer upsampling, I remember you said awhile ago that you thought about doing it.

Reactions: 777

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
The element P is interesting as well. I know its a different product, with a built in amp, but I'd love to know if the streamer section is the same as the M.

Also, your site rates it as 110 watts into 8Ω with 1% THD. Do you have the wattage rating at .1% THD?
Hello, the streamer/audio player section of element X, element P and element M are all based on the same hardware (ARM CPU) and the same firmware.

Sorry i have no such specs. the current posted specs are come from ICEpower official. we have no necessary measurement filter, so we could not test this specs.

BillG

Major Contributor
Hello, the streamer/audio player section of element X, element P and element M are all based on the same hardware (ARM CPU) and the same firmware.

Any chance of Chromecast built-in on current or future products? Many of us appreciate the framework's ease of use, widespread support, and power saving mode of operation when using mobile devices as remote controllers. You're giving Apple some love in form of AirPlay support, which is a battery drain on their mobile devices. So how about Google, too? :cool:

Last edited:

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Any chance of Chromecast built-in on current or future products? Many of us appreciate the framework's ease of use, widespread support, and power saving mode of operation when using mobile devices as remote controllers. You're giving Apple some love in form of AirPlay support, which is a battery drain on their mobile devices. So how about Google, too? :cool:
I am trying this indeed. hope we can implement Google cast into element X and other element family members smoothly. Please note, I am a big Google fan. ;)

Daverz

Major Contributor
This video introduces hybrid volume control detailed. just for your reference.

Thanks, but I'm looking for test results. Would also be nice to have comparisons with non-hybrid volume control of Topping, SMSL, Benchmark, etc.

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
Thanks, but I'm looking for test results. Would also be nice to have comparisons with non-hybrid volume control of Topping, SMSL, etc.

I don't think we should be any worried with volume control of modern ESS and AKM DACs as they perform volume calculations with 32 bit integer precision and have extremely low noise floor. Even the best analog volume controllers can't do it much better and lot of them are actually worse.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Thanks, but I'm looking for test results.
I don't think we should be any worried with volume control of modern ESS and AKM DACs as they perform volume calculations with 32 bit integer precision and have extremely low noise floor.

Why measure anything then? Just link the datasheet for the chip and call it a day.

Even the best analog volume controllers can't do it much better and lot of them are actually worse.

That's what I suspect. I'd like to see how they compare in practice. I don't have the equipment to test this myself.

Top Bottom