• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parlor trick exposed

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

This will not change the opinion of the believers a iota... The newer and more expensive cable will make the soundstage wider, deeper and the music clearly more organic and with more PRAT will emerge from an even darker background ... This could have been truly interesting and newsworthy if those who believe would question the brand and its competitors a little. As it stands one needs to take a glance at Synergistics to know this would not change anything and that this battle as quixotic a it is possible.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How do you have your frog legs Bob? Plenty of butter and garlic and a little parsley to finish? Yum!

Watch out they don't reanimate and hope off though..it's a bummer when that happens... 1-0 frog.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Yes Thomas I can see that you like them too...with garlic butter. Here it's an exotic meal...and nothing like the audio cable charlatans.
You have fresh frog legs or you don't.

Lol, what a funny business we're in...even frog legs are served for the connoisseurs. ...And before that I remember what you introduced us to.
And Ray posted an excellent video on how to prepare them. We could have a thread on cooking in the miscellaneous forum section.

Yes, me too I can see the tremendous potential in culinary science. :) ...On audio cables too.
_________

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If anyone hadn't seen it Mark Waldrep did do a good interview with Steve Wilkinson at THE Show. I do support the position on what is and what isn't HDA discussed by Kevin Voecks

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is it possible to analyze the audio on the above video to determine if the level is switched with the cables? It sounds like it's the same track.
I did a quick test. On the first set of peaks, the "old" cable has a peak RMS value of 3.3 db whereas the "new" cable is 3.9 db. So half a db louder. Too small of a difference to make a case given the camcorder capture and such.

TBone

Major Contributor
Sal, thx 4link, Mark Waldrep 100% correct. That Paul Rogers 5 times back story, kills me every time.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Good find! It's hard to bury the truth no matter how much you threatened to sue over. ;)

Lawsuits are an empty threat. None of the fraudsters want to deal with discovery.

I've been threatened more than once. In each case, I did nothing that was demanded, and not a blessed thing happened.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Lawsuits are an empty threat. None of the fraudsters want to deal with discovery.

I've been threatened more than once. In each case, I did nothing that was demanded, and not a blessed thing happened.
Yea but Nordost has plenty of money for lawyers to make life difficult/expensive for a guy like Mark. It was probably the prudent thing to do in removing the posts.
I have also been threaten with legal action by Mikey Fremer, who claimed I was "besmirching his character." LOL.
That one I ignored but the whole series of posts was deleted by Chris at CA.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yea but Nordost has plenty of money for lawyers to make life difficult/expensive for a guy like Mark. It was probably the prudent thing to do in removing the posts.
I have also been threaten with legal action by Mikey Fremer, who claimed I was "besmirching his character." LOL.

Yeah, I have had factual and data-filled posts deleted at places like Head Fi because a potential or actual advertiser (in that case, the fraudsters at Synergistic Research) was unhappy. My reaction was to stop posting in a place with that poor of a sense of ethics. I had my issues with diyAudio (which is why I don't post there any more), but they never, ever censored my posts.

But if someone wants to come after me legally, fine- I'd be happy to nail them for costs for a frivolous suit. I don't post things without data and clearly stated methodology. But like I said, the issue of discovery will put a stop to that quickly. My stuff is out there and in public; a rip off company would not want to be explaining to the FTC why they are making unsupported and likely fraudulent claims with no data to back them up.

I can't imagine how one could "besmirch" the character of someone like Fremer.

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
Hey that’s me in my other forum ;):)

Thank you for recording the information. It would have been a shame to lose a record of (alleged) slight of hand in the demo scene.

Coming from the technology industry I am fascinated, amused and horrified at how strange myths exist in audio as a hobby.

Power. Cables. < possible winner

Suspended cables to improve sound.

Tubes/vinyl more accurate/better *

Oh! Special USB or Ethernet cables.

Ouch.

Then we move to the militant and aggressive attitude of the hobbyists who believe in this stuff (I got a “wait until you meet someone who can identity a DAC across a noisy room” last month). It is a storm of passion with no relationship to facts.

Then...companies. They are selling into these beliefs. Not a crime. It’s normal commerce. But I am not sure how they get away with the outlandish and impossible claims. The power cable thing has no basis in any provable (trustful) measurement.

Weird.

* let’s differentiate this from “I like the distortion I am getting from this tube” or “the pops and clicks make me happy”, which is perfectly reasonable.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Well you have a rock-solid defense, because Mikey ain't got much in the way of character to besmirch. And he's been whingeing for decades now, and he's still a smug wanker with huge insecurities.

Must say, though, I'm impressed that he went after you. Impressed with you, that is.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
whingeing
For us US guys, LOL

"informal•British
verb
gerund or present participle: whingeing
  1. complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way.
    "stop whingeing and get on with it!"
    synonyms:complain, grouse, grouch, grumble, whine, moan, carp, mutter, murmur, whisper;"
Must say, though, I'm impressed that he went after you. Impressed with you, that is.
Yep, Mikey don't like me much, I carry it as a badge of honor. :)

Top Bottom