• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

vitalii427

Forum Donor
408E1F1E-136B-4EE6-ABB2-79237100F81F.jpeg

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Some sort of old Timex though lately have been wearing a FitBit my wife got me for Christmas (older model on clearance; I've smashed or electrocuted too many watches to pay for a good one). Looked at Rolex and a few others on our European trip a few years ago, even had wife's permission, but just couldn't see spending that much for a watch on my salary. Rather put it into better speakers. Which I did. :)

caguilar91

It's a wonderful watch, my father bought it new in 1967 and used it on many white water canoe trips. It's the watch he wore throughout my childhood, and is very special to me. I'm very lucky to have it
Nice story behind the watch, thanks for sharing! It's one of the nicest Rolex ever in my opinion. So, congrats on having a nice piece of Rolex history, especially because of its background! :D

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Custom modified Seiko I did myself.
Only parts left of original watch is the case and caseback.

On the timegrapher after regulation it reads within +2 ~ -3 s/day on 3 positions.

20180323_102909_HDR_2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
NTomokawa

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Custom modified Seiko I did myself.
Only parts left of original watch is the case and caseback.

On the timegrapher after regulation it reads within +2 ~ -3 s/day on 3 positions.
Nice one. My Dad had his Seiko Kinetic for two and a half decades by now.

OP
NTomokawa

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Bit of a story about my Orient SpeedTech.

The first one I got ran at +40 seconds *per day* for the first week, then settled down to +40 seconds per week. So I brought it to my local watchmaker (the only one where I live) to get it regulated.

$50 later I got the watch back, and to my horror I discovered a hair on the winding rotor (the watch has a display back). So I brought the watch back and they removed the hair at no cost to me.

Only to somehow introduce a white piece of "dust" right under the sapphire crystal. It's not a piece of luminescent paint that's chipped off; and while the watch has an open heart, I am baffled at how exactly this piece of dust worked its way through the movement.

At this point the watchmaker is denying responsibility, and quoting $150 to "dismantle the movement" to remove the piece of dust. Deciding that I've learned my lesson with the fifty bucks, I was able to exchange this watch with the vendor.

...Only to receive a used unit, complete with missing tags, scratches on the rubber band, and a mixture of the previous owner's B.O. and cheap cologne.

Outraged, I contacted the vendor's customer service, who after a few hoops assured me that a representative will personally oversee that I get a *new* replacement watch this time.

Thankfully they weren't lying, I got a brand-new replacement, and to my pleasant surprise, is running at a consistent +1 second per day... Putting it in COSC territory.

Now hopefully I won't have to service this watch anytime soon.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My one and only - I have an irrational love for this watch.

I have a deep appreciation and longing for so many of them, but I have only married this one. Most of my other desires would be financially imprudent.

View attachment 27277
I used to have a Junghans MegaSolar watch until a year ago, when it stopped updating from the radio transmitter. Loved the look of it, and of course, it kept 'perfect' radio time. However, after only 18 years, Junghans couldn't repair it. Actually, they couldn't repair it at all, as it's sealed into the ceramic case. If it had failed during the warranty they would have given me a new one, but after 18 years, they would only sell me a new one for over £1000, which again was only guaranteed for 2 years and can't be repaired.

So I bought a Citizen Solar Radio watch which is guaranteed for 6 years and is claimed to be repairable thereafter.

I need split second accuracy as I use my watch to check the accuracy of the satellite switching for our local radio station, our other radio clocks and our Internet PC timing, so a simple quartz watch won't be accurate enough over a few weeks or months. I use Casio AQ-222 for gardening. and it's quite good enough for that.

S

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

jhwalker

I have never in my life worn a watch - hate having things "on" me (I wear a wedding ring, that's it).

We are constantly surrounded by reminders of the time (laptop has time in upper right hand corner, mobile phone has time right on the "lock" screen, clocks on the wall(s), etc.), so I'm never unaware of the time, and can usually answer the question "what time is it?" within 1-3 minutes, any time, day or night.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
My one and only - I have an irrational love for this watch.
I have a deep appreciation and longing for so many of them, but I have only married this one. Most of my other desires would be financially imprudent.
I love the simplicity of your watch and I now desire it.

This is what is on my wrist now, but maybe a Junghans in my future.

Attachments

• Nomos2.jpg
    Nomos2.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 185
Top Bottom