• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Amazon Link Amp

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought some of the Amazon Basic Cables (I think that's what they are called) for interconnects. Seem to be decent construction/good value.

Ditto, I have found their HDMI cables to be cheap and of good quality.

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I consider this to be a decent value product and I think amirm is right to recommend it with reservations.
It probably outperforms many of the audiophile products around and does a reasonable job given its multi functionality.
No its not state of the art. I wonder how many people could tell this apart from their separates system in a DBT.:)
You can pay ten times and more the price of this unit for a bit of audiophile wire. What's not to like.

Tks

Major Contributor
If the volume control turns too far to the right, Amazon will ban it. So you better get it while you can.

What does this mean if you don't mind me asking?

confucius_zero

so... is this better than the psaudio sprout 100?!

Cageymaru

For a budget PC gamer it seems to push all of the right buttons. Decent power for a set of monitors and a sub out. I was wondering how well did the headphone amp section of the device work? How does it sound with Dolby Atmos for Headphones enabled on a PC? Does the sub out have its own crossover? Can I limit the frequencies going to my desktop speakers and send the lows to the sub out?

I would have liked it to support higher bit rates though. I love Tidal.

Thanks!

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just packed the bloody thing for the second time. :)
Hey Amir, sorry that it’s not related to this thread, but I think I found another way to keep you busy:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/dcs-rossini-transport-sacdcd-transport-measurements

“Eye” measurements of a $23,500 CD/SACD transport with a $7500 clock.

If I say pretty please, could you try to duplicate this with the digital out of a “cheap” CD player/transport (or even a DVD/Blu-ray player)?

JA’s test methodology:

eye pattern of the dCS Rossini SACD transport's single AES/EBU output, plotted over one "unit cycle" as it fed the Audio Precision a 16-bit AES/EBU datastream comprising the Miller/Dunn J-Test Signal for 60 seconds.

To make this a worst-case situation, the AES/EBU link was a 45' length of Canare 110-ohm balanced interconnect, which results in a somewhat lengthened risetime compared with the Audio Precision's own AES/EBU output using the same 45' datalink.

Instead of AES, you’d probably use digital coax for a long run, which makes it even more telling.

The error correction is the dSC also seems impressive, but I don’t care much about that, not gonna stop you though :).

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hey Amir, sorry that it’s not related to this thread, but I think I found another way to keep you busy:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/dcs-rossini-transport-sacdcd-transport-measurements

“Eye” measurements of a $23,500 CD/SACD transport with a $7500 clock.

If I say pretty please, could you try to duplicate this with the digital out of a “cheap” CD player/transport (or even a DVD/Blu-ray player)?

JA’s test methodology:
My new Audio Precision analyzer is better than the old series JA uses and I used to have in almost every regard but this! While my old analyzer could generate the eye pattern, the new one cannot. While I had the old analyzer, I measured such in some of my reviews: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-s-pdif-digital-audio-filter.2189/#post-59445

index.php

I can use my digital scope to capture the same but it is a bit more work than my lazy self likes to embark on. :)

Jungstar

Soooo looking at the Echo Link.... for a pair of JBL 308P MKT ii with the Sub.... I really want to connect the sources: 1)Alexa via a decent DAC + 2)input from PC Soundcard + 3) Bluetooth option from any phone... This seems to check all boxes but is it really bad this DAC? (My PC Soundcard is Soundblaster AE-5).
I found the Echo Link DAC chip: "Cirrus Logic CS42526 audio codec for the Echo Link." Amazon Forum. Anyone familiar with this thing?

JohsonChou

The Echo Link is $200, so the amp is bascially just $100... This for $100 is not too bad.

tusing

Amir, IMO 2dB isn't a "slight" droop :) That is easily audible to even the untrained ear.

2dB rolloff on bass and highs honestly sounds horrifying. These are the nightmares that chase me in my sleep. It's also the last thing I'd expect from any solid-state amp built with even the barest shred of competence.

mi-fu

Forum Donor
I'm loading the Link amp almost daily, but the price kept appearing at $600 every time. I guess it will be at $300 on special sale dates. At $600, there are better alternatives.

Isn't the Link Amp $300 on amazon?

vkvedam

Forum Donor
@amirm or has anyone looked into this just using as a streamer with digital out going into one of the decent DACs? In other words just getting an Echo Link to be used as a streamer with digital out.

D700

@amirm or has anyone looked into this just using as a streamer with digital out going into one of the decent DACs? In other words just getting an Echo Link to be used as a streamer with digital out.
I believe its digital out is limited to 24/96 which may/may not be an issue for you.

Top Bottom