• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal´s catalogue declining

• Thread starter Deleted member 65
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 65

Lately I've discovered more and more artists and albums I've been looking for in Tidal are not there.

Seems as record labels/artists are abandoning Tidal. Just two examples below of artists whose previous albums are on Tidal whereas their latest are not.

1559569217008.png

1559569389116.png

These are only two of my recent failed searches in Tidal.

Opinions out there, is Tidal declining?

Daverz

Major Contributor
Hyperion doesn't do streaming.

I don't see the Youn Sun Nah album on Qobuz or Spotify, either.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Yeah, I just found it on Spotify. I don't think Tidal's selection is declining, though it's never been quite as extensive as Spotify.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I just found it on Spotify. I don't think Tidal's selection is declining, though it's never been quite as extensive as Spotify.

I get not available in your country when I click that, it's not in tidal either. Streaming licences must be a right mess, I'm surprised it's not worse than it is.

Tarzan

yeah i have thought this was happening. Certain albums have been removed from some artist's collections.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have noticed similar on Spotify, but not sure whether it reflects a general trend or simply that albums are licensed and then un-licensed over time. After all, if you search for the first time for an album that was only recently licensed to the streaming service, you don’t see that it wasn’t previously available, whereas if an album you had previously saved becomes unavailable, it is clear.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Pay for services are popular because they are highly profitable, not because they protect listeners' best interests

I couldn't give a rat's ass about Tidal, Spotify, Apple or Amazon Music because I can (and do) buy physical format music in order to have complete control, portability, and availability of my library at nominal cost.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Lately I've discovered more and more artists and albums I've been looking for in Tidal are not there.

Seems as record labels/artists are abandoning Tidal. Just two examples below of artists whose previous albums are on Tidal whereas their latest are not.

View attachment 27168

View attachment 27169

These are only two of my recent failed searches in Tidal.

Opinions out there, is Tidal declining?

Disappearing albums and even catalogues are normal. Sometimes until contracts are re-nogitated or renewed (depending how/why they disappeared in the first place).

With purchased downloads on the decline and streaming numbers on the up, I don't think these things are permanent, long term. Contracts need to get sorted.

For example, there's big contract talks coming up between Spotify and all 3 major labels:

"This year, Spotify is likely due to renegotiate its global licensing deals with the three big US labels, Warner, Sony, and UMG. These agreements lay out everything from advance money to revenue splits to a Most Favored Nation clause, which makes major aspects of the contract amendable if another label gets a better deal. Spotify needs these deals to ensure that it can stream the large swaths of music controlled by these labels."

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/1/18243053/spotify-warner-india-global-food-fight-music-streaming

Similar things will happen at various points with Tidal and Apple Music and the rest.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
I've been using Tidal for the last 6 months, and there's never been an album that I couldn't find, even when searching for foreign language music. I even find comedy albums that I hear about on podcasts, which I'm surprised by lol

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As for me, I've decided to go back to CDs. I find that streaming makes me less focused on the music. Streaming usually necessitates a mobile device to control it, and with that comes the possibility of getting distracted, jumping between songs or albums, etc. I also miss the physical media, liner notes, etc. Yes, you can get some of that with Roon for example, but it's not the same. Also, streaming is neither environmentally friendly nor good for the musicians.

Back to the future!

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
As for me, I've decided to go back to CDs. I find that streaming makes me less focused on the music. Streaming usually necessitates a mobile device to control it, and with that comes the possibility of getting distracted, jumping between songs or albums, etc. I also miss the physical media, liner notes, etc. Yes, you can get some of that with Roon for example, but it's not the same. Also, streaming is neither environmentally friendly nor good for the musicians.

Back to the future!
Yeah, that's exactly one of the many reasons why I like listening to vinyl when I'm at home; there's a physical and commitment aspect to it :D But I like the concept of CDs, given the sound quality, and the ability to get older very high quality and nice sounding CD players for not too much money these days. The only thing for me is that the CDs have zero artifact value, because I came from the generation where buying a CD was just a means to rip the music into iTunes, and then the CDs would just gather dust.

I consider it one of the biggest scams in entertainment technology history that they managed to brainwash everyone into using iTunes and iPods. If I could go back, I'd just use the Mp3s for the iPod, and then invest in a high class CD player to get the full quality. But that's what the journey in this hobby is about you live and you learn :)

Top Bottom