• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much difference in sound quality will you hear between qutest and tone board ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So they waste money just to buggle amir?

You are a master in drawing incorrect conclusions on purpose.
People test/try equipment for the same reason... to find out things.
This has nothing to do with pricepoint, alterior motivations or methods.

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So they waste money just to buggle amir?

Do you normally know what motivates some random individuals you've never met from a few of their posts on the web? You are trying to infer DAC quality from the behavior of some random individuals. I'd rather look at measurements than to try to guess what motivates a SBAF poster. But that's just me.

Calexico

You are a master in drawing incorrect conclusions on purpose.
People test/try equipment for the same reason... to find out things.
This has nothing to do with pricepoint, alterior motivations or methods.
Oh sorry understood that some were drawing conclusion that they were not liking how the dac sounds. So i didn't understand why then buying such dac.

It seems obvious that they prefer the sound of this kind of dac and there are not the only ones.

Calexico

Do you normally know what motivates some random individuals you've never met from a few of their posts on the web? You are trying to infer DAC quality from the behavior of some random individuals. I'd rather look at measurements than to try to guess what motivates a SBAF poster. But that's just me.
But i do have such dac (a much cheaper one) and i can understand what they like in it and what they don't like in better measuring dacs.
Also i understand people preferring having most neutral dac.

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
Answering the last bit, that is their bias, being insulted that I recommended the D30 back when they were praising the much worse implemented Schiit DACs.

Someone took a potshot at me over on Head-Fi because I said I liked (and the measurements were good on) the Topping NX4:
“you got chased out of SBAF because they aren't so politically correct and don't pull any punches with computer geeks that are brand new to audio who think they know it all.”

Two things came up. One was that the Topping killed the dynamics of music because good sound was more than good measurements. The other was that you can’t be trusted because you warmed up a Schiit DAC. Admittedly, I would be irritated if it was my DAC and you didn’t ask first, but I digress from the key point regarding sound.

All: There are a lot of emotional or subjective agendas out there. However, there is no agenda or bias in a properly conducted ABX test. Here is how that works for audio:
“The ABX methodology requires device A and device B to be level-matched within +0.1 dB, after which you can listen to fully identified A and fully identified B for as long as you like. If you then think they sound different, you are asked to identify X, which may be either A or B (as determined by a double-blind randomization process). You are allowed to make an A/X or B/X comparison at any time, as many times as you like, to decide whether X=A or X=B. Since sheer guessing will yield the correct answer 50% of the time, a minimum of 12 trials is needed for statistical validity (16 is better, 20 better yet). There is no better way to determine scientifically whether you are just claiming to hear a difference or can actually hear one.”
See page 5 here.

Of course, if one system is highly distorted you will probably notice that, but this is a completely different issue from good (accurate) sound. Indeed, it is the inverse unless we reject the proposition that measurements reflect good (accurate) sound. Let’s not do that. This is Audio Science Review after all.

If you like a certain type of distortion you can easily create it by applying EQ or a filter on an accurate system.

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But i do have such dac (a much cheaper one) and i can understand what they like in it and what they don't like in better measuring dacs.

I have had a few R2R DACs in the past. I have one now, one that's not cheap but measures much better than the one in SBAF test. I don't understand why they like what they like, despite reading their descriptions, and I certainly can't tell what motivated them to buy it. I can make a guess that the high price may have had something to do with it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It seems obvious that they prefer the sound of this kind of dac and there are not the only ones.

It seems obvious you did not read/fully understood the entire thread at SBAF.
And I am quite sure that for every product (even crappy ones) you can find a lot of other 'not the only ones that like this' reviews and 'tests'.
It's called preference and can be based on many variables, more often than not based on sighted observations disguised as 'undeniable truth'.

Calexico

I have had a few R2R DACs in the past. I have one now, one that's not cheap but measures much better than the one in SBAF test. I don't understand why they like what they like, despite reading their descriptions, and I certainly can't tell what motivated them to buy it. I can make a guess that the high price may have had something to do with it.
So you don't like r2r anymore?

Calexico

I do, but only when properly filtered using HQPlayer and upsampled to high sampling rates. I don't prefer this to a well made S-D DAC, and I have a few of those that are much cheaper than the R2R DAC but sound just as good to me.
Thanx :) but you still keep it ;)

Rusty Shackleford

The “no true Scotsman” dismissals of Marv demonstrating that DACs do sound different using your preferred methods are hilarious, IMO.

Get a hearing test

None. The whole point of asr is to measure if dacs\amps arent technically broken and distorting sound in audible thresholds. Im sure u wont be able to tell a difference unless you know just how good your ears are. Go to a doc get your ear frequency range sweep. Or you can do a biased self test online.

Samudra1825

Not necesarilly, consider the badness is below their hearing capabilities or they just don't care about it.
I would not assert it sounds pleasant to them (well the roll-off may be an aspect)
he probably meant the fact that people there like mos16 but not d30 as stated in the blind test thread, not the measurement one

Top Bottom