• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is it only me or the figure is very high? This will definitely need a DC-servo or cap-on-input amplifier.
I will need to verify the AP readings first before trusting it. Stand by....

maxxevv

Major Contributor

There is no provenance of performance or any data for that matter for that set.

Not even at Breeze Audio / Weiliang Audio's official store listing on Taobao.

Besides, all the testing done to date has shown that implementation is way, way important than whatever specs the components they dumped into the set has .

ES9038Pro vs AK4497, comparing apples to oranges (not to mention the 1-post weirdness of your account)

Well, some people are a little enthused. I'll give him that benefit of doubt here.

HDavidson

I sent an email to the service Topping and voila the repence:

"When you shut off the power, press the SEL button, and then turn on the power, you will go into the system setting, choose the mode DAC, then you can use D70 as a native DAC."

.. and it works, super ;)
They are quick to answer at Topping.

Here it is but note that I have not attempted to assess the accuracy of AP's DC offset measurements:

Ch1 -25.55 mV
Ch2 -18.24 mV

The most probably there is an output high-pass filter, made it with an series capacitor and parallel resistor. Maybe the resistor is not there and it will made by load resistance. In this case, if your the measurement unit impedance(resistance in fact) is very high, the corner frequency filter is at very low frequency and you will see an AC signal with 0.1hz for example. Maybe an additional parallel resistance of 10kohm will solve the "problem".

ceausuc

Is it only me or the figure is very high? This will definitely need a DC-servo or cap-on-input amplifier.

Looks very very high. I measured my Topping D50 and the multimeter shows -0 on one channel and -0.2 on the other.
I also have an "ancient" 30$DAC that is perfectly clean: 0/0...

My ex Dx30Pro has 0.0mV and 0.3mV. I don't believe in Amirm measurement. It's a mistake for sure.

Veri

Master Contributor
My ex Dx30Pro has 0.0mV and 0.3mV. I don't believe in Amirm measurement. It's a mistake for sure.

Well he did say he wasn't sure about the test/measurement :) let's see

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not at all. They are now the standard for how to go fast around a corner. Especially with the size of some of these cars.
The Cadillac CTS-V for example is the standard for a large performance sedan. Holding many records that the germans keep working hard to try to beat.
As I said before the Camaro SS is faster than a M4 GTS (especially the SS 1LE edition) around a track.

Straight line performance is good too, but its not what GM cars are about today.
Even the Ford Mustangs are doing great in the corners these days. With the GT350 and GT500 versions and now finally the GT having a magride option as of 2019 (or maybe 2018) model year.

To be fair, the American cars are generally good at power tracks where traction isn't a huge issue and they can deploy their power fully. The smaller technical tracks are still in the domain of the Euros and Japs. Then again, the Americans aren't interested in such tracks.

gvl

Major Contributor
American cars improved but still don't age well.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
To be fair, the American cars are generally good at power tracks where traction isn't a huge issue and they can deploy their power fully. The smaller technical tracks are still in the domain of the Euros and Japs. Then again, the Americans aren't interested in such tracks.
Do you follow motor trend? Because Willow Springs / Streets of Willow is one of the shortest tracks at like 1.8 miles total and the American cars do REALLY WELL there. Basically competing with Mclaren / Ferarri / etc
American cars improved but still don't age well.
All depends on what you buy. The newer performance cars (Camaro, Corvette C7, CTS-V, ATS-V, Chevy SS) are all top-quality vehicles.

Although German cars today age extremely poorly. Most are broken within 3 years / 36k miles, as they are only built for leasing.
They typically have electrical issues either in the powertrain or the body; crippling vital features and rendering them useless/worthless.

Do you follow motor trend? Because Willow Springs / Streets of Willow is one of the shortest tracks at like 1.8 miles total and the American cars do REALLY WELL there. Basically competing with Mclaren / Ferarri / etc

All depends on what you buy. The newer performance cars (Camaro, Corvette C7, CTS-V, ATS-V, Chevy SS) are all top-quality vehicles.

Although German cars today age extremely poorly. Most are broken within 3 years / 36k miles, as they are only built for leasing.
They typically have electrical issues either in the powertrain or the body; crippling vital features and rendering them useless/worthless.

The american cars are like Boeing 737 MAX ? :facepalm: Ok, you can drive what you like. I remain at BMW, Mercedes and Audi. Maybe we stop the cars discussion and we'll back at Topping D70 ;)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The american cars are like Boeing 737 MAX ? :facepalm: Ok, you can drive what you like. I remain at BMW, Mercedes and Audi. Maybe we stop the cars discussion and we'll back at Topping D70 ;)
You can drive what you like, just like you can purchase Schiit products if you like too! Objectivists might poke fun, but its your money :)

I like Topping, I like my 0.0002% power amplifier made by me and a good speakers. Schiit products are not for me, sorry. Schiit doesn't has any clue with BMW or Airbus :). If we talking about USA, I love that country and people.

Krunok

Major Contributor

Fact is that European cars are sold in considerable quantities in USA but practically nobody is buying American cars in Europe. Have you ever wondered why? ;)

Let me also add that I agree with @Blumlein 88 - metric based on SINAD is doing great unjustice to DACs like D70.

Reactions: MWC

Cars, cars, cars... The most boring OT around :facepalm:.
Wake me up when you finish, please.

:D:D:D I am waiting for a D70. I'll wake up you in a few days, one, two, three, everything depends on customs. I'll test D70 bymyself, with an oscilloscope and QA401. Until then, we talking about boring cars and beautiful womens. :p

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning

A short technical track is like a Tsukuba, which is like 1.2 miles, with 12 turns. Streets of Willow is 50% longer, Willow Springs is more than 100% longer, with 3 fewer turns. I was looking up Horse Thief Mile production car times, but it seems to be too small for manufacturers to test there.

American small, technical tracks are average-sized everywhere else......just like many other things lol.

I run in a time attack, and am somehow classed (with some terrible classing if you ask me) in the same class as a 2015 Mustang GT, with 435 hp @ 3796 lbs with Toyo R888. I run a 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution with 291 hp @ 3572 lbs with Kumho Ectsa V720 ACR tires and Nitron R1 coilovers. On a 80-ish second course, the Mustang is 1 sec faster than me. I'm sure a few tenths are due to driver but the majority is due to that obscene power difference. Chassis-wise, I'm probably gaining a few tenths back due to weight and better suspension, but even stock, I'd probably still gain a tenth or two.

After driving an ATS, CTS, CTS-V and sitting in the Mustang GT and Chargers, they're very brutish cars, far from being refined, and have improved handling over the older US cars, but mechanical grip is still well within the domain of Euros and especially Japs. Engines suck though for Euros and Japs, unless you're willing to pay $$$$$.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Here it is but note that I have not attempted to assess the accuracy of AP's DC offset measurements:

Ch1 -25.55 mV
Ch2 -18.24 mV

A Fluke multimeter will be a better instrument for this.

Top Bottom