• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much difference in sound quality will you hear between qutest and tone board ?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a way to get one without the other?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Nah, he was thinking about the HD800 :D

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
With all your explanations I conclude that i always prefer a sound colored to my taste than a transparent sound.
That may very well be the wrong conclusion. As long as you perform your listening tests incorrectly (sighted, not level matched, etc.), you are working with faulty data. Your doctor doesn't prescribe medicine for you that way, why would you do that here?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Your doctor doesn't prescribe medicine for you that way, why would you do that here?

Actually, he (or she) may. France is a hotbed for homeopathy, which has failed every double blind test of its efficacy.

Calexico

Actually, he (or she) may. France is a hotbed for homeopathy, which has failed every double blind test of its efficacy.
@amirm
I hope hifi is not like medecine.
I believe there are corruptions and interest conflict in médecine and the tests are not rigorous. Also side effects are diminished. I stopped some médecine for my heart.
You re right i should do more a/b testing to lead my conclusion about my components selected.
I just tried to change back for some days and feels the differences.
To your experience you ve always been satisfied with a transparent sounding equipment ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Not Amir but...

Changing back for some days is not A-B testing as you know it is in the chain.
To really find out you must not know what is in the chain.
You need someone else to switch gear (while you do not know it) and keep logs.
This really is the only simple way to AB gear.

I have been satisfied with transparent sound as well as colored sound.
Using transparent equipment ensures me that any 'ill' effects are either in the recording or transducers. Keeps me from worrying about/questioning gear.
Everyone listens to colored sound as no transducer is ever free of distortion and FR anomalies and most pop music has been altered anyway.
Sound can be convincingly good though.

Calexico

Not Amir but...

Changing back for some days is not A-B testing as you know it is in the chain.
To really find out you must not know what is in the chain.
You need someone else to switch gear (while you do not know it) and keep logs.
This really is the only simple way to AB gear.

I have been satisfied with transparent sound as well as colored sound.
Using transparent equipment ensures me that any 'ill' effects are either in the recording or transducers. Keeps me from worrying about/questioning gear.
Everyone listens to colored sound as no transducer is ever free of distortion and FR anomalies and most pop music has been altered anyway.
Sound can be convincingly good though.
This is the kind of sound that i like.
Guitar is meaty

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the kind of sound that i like.
Guitar is meaty

It's definitely heavily distorted. The question is whether you like your gear to distort it even further when you play it back. Can only be answered with a controlled test, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're right to think you do.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If only this were Neil Young done 192/24 hirez on a Pono player. Ah the satisfaction then.

On the other hand, less meaty, but also less ear bleedingly distorted:

Here is a more meaty version I suppose:

Calexico

It's definitely heavily distorted. The question is whether you like your gear to distort it even further when you play it back. Can only be answered with a controlled test, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're right to think you do.
It's distorded but i can hear easily the bass the drums and i like the way trebles guitar bass and battery sound. I guess it's tube distortion that i like.
Neil young usually record on tube multitrack recorders.
Also i like the sound of some old mono classic recordings that are distored.
And i usually find that adding a tube buffer render these recordings better than a classic dac with aop.

For such recording that have distorted sounds it's where i find the most easily differences between sound of dacs. It's quite strange.

Calexico

If only this were Neil Young done 192/24 hirez on a Pono player. Ah the satisfaction then.

On the other hand, less meaty, but also less ear bleedingly distorted:

Here is a more meaty version I suppose:
I don't understand what you said about pono player.
Well i don't like so much the sound of the two songs finally. If it's distorded that's not the kind of distortion i like. I prefer the sound of neil young that is more pleasant and less fatiguing to my hears.
I feel like too much compressor somewhere in the two tracks you sent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom