• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AC power conditioning and Oppo 205

Ptss

This is related to your measurements of the Oppo 205.
I experience dramatically better sound when my Oppo 205 is plugged into balanced ac power (Equitech) and using a variety of top level MIT power cables that address differential noise.
Is there anything in your measurements of the Oppo 205 that indicate the reason? Thanks :)

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Self-fulfilling expectations.
An Oppo has a modern power supply and doesn't much care what the AC power looks like.
Although if you have Equitech & MIT with your AC power, you may also have boutique interconnects that are doing strange things.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is related to your measurements of the Oppo 205.
I experience dramatically better sound when my Oppo 205 is plugged into balanced ac power (Equitech) and using a variety of top level MIT power cables that address differential noise.
Is there anything in your measurements of the Oppo 205 that indicate the reason? Thanks :)
No. I used an ordinary AC outlet to get those superb results. Have someone blind test you to see if you can tell when it is plugged into the conditioner or not. I will predict you won't be able to tell which is which. :)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oppo Digital audio gear tended to be very well designed and made (well, the stuff I've had any opportunity to see and try), I would be amazed if the on-board power system wasn't perfectly good.

artnoi

IMO, a well-designed audio gear usually come with decent PSU and thus should not show any swing in performance when having its AC cable swapped to different model (given that the wire is of proper gauge and not defective)

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO, a well-designed audio gear usually come with decent PSU and thus should not show any swing in performance when having its AC cable swapped to different model (given that the wire is of proper gauge and not defective)
IMO, I am absolutely certain I would hear a dramatic improvement in sound had I made the investment required for Equitech and top level MIT power cables. I hope we do not sound condescending when we discuss confirmation/expectation bias. Every one of us has it.

After looking at the website, prices, and ship weight of Equitech products. I am convinced that they use science, and that they do something. They just do not do something that a well engineered product like Oppo needs done. Any tiny measurable improvements it makes would be far below human audibility. The dramatic improvements that I am sure most of their paying customers experience, are proof that confirmation bias is innate.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom