• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Audio Measurement of LG G7 ThinQ Smartphone

Zut^_^

LG in the past has had serious quality problems. Are you sure those are worked out?
I am not sure what you are referring to... I owned the G2 and have held all the other phones of the series up to the G7 (friends phones), and I and my friends never had issues...

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
The ones that had issues with the G4 and V20.

The subsequent ones were generally as reliable as other major phone makes.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I am not sure what you are referring to... I owned the G2 and have held all the other phones of the series up to the G7 (friends phones), and I and my friends never had issues...
I've had friends with issues with the V10, V20, V30.
Issues with a couple other G4/G5/G6 products too.

Bootlooping, screen burn-in, overheating. All serious problems with LG phones.

Zut^_^

Oh... I am sorry to hear that. The only one who had an 'issue' was someone who used to chew his G5 and complained about the glass, saying it was too 'weak' ahah :)

Zut^_^

I was wondering one thing... I have bought NeutronMP on the App Store. Will I be able to use it without the distortion shown in the measurements using UAPP? Neutron has no MQA option.

Screenshot_20190327-103532_Neutron.jpg

It does have many other options though... Maybe there is one that doesn't send the audio to the Android audio pipeline and give that awful distortion?

Edit: I have ordered an LG V30, but I still haven't received it yet. The screenshot was taken on a Samsung S7 Exynos version

Last edited:

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning

As I've mentioned, I've had all of those, and my wife had the G4/G5. I had bootloop with the v10, twice, I had bootloop once with the v20, and the screen burn in, and fast battery drain. My wife's g4 and g5 both had expanding battery issues.

My v30 has been nearly perfect for over a year though. Only issue is, I've developed a small screen crack in one of the corners, and I've had it in a hard case since day one.

Roen

Do the LG phones pair well with the SE846? That lower impedance performance doesn't seem great.

pwjazz

Forum Donor
I was wondering one thing... I have bought NeutronMP on the App Store. Will I be able to use it without the distortion shown in the measurements using UAPP? Neutron has no MQA option.

View attachment 24178

It does have many other options though... Maybe there is one that doesn't send the audio to the Android audio pipeline and give that awful distortion?

Edit: I have ordered an LG V30, but I still haven't received it yet. The screenshot was taken on a Samsung S7 Exynos version

Yes, I use Neutron and it takes advantage of the Quad DAC without forced resampling to 48 KHz.

Roen

Did we ever have Filter comparison tests?

Does the Quad DAC support DSD?

Can one utilize the Quad DAC with a third party audio player?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I actually bought one of these phones now, but I haven't done much with the headphone jack in the last week.

Sueekhy

Does that mean i won't hear significant improvement changing to DX3pro with my AKG K702?

bravomail

Does that mean i won't hear significant improvement changing to DX3pro with my AKG K702?

That is a good question. The sound from my phone S7edge and Modi3/Magni2 are both very good, clean, powerful and enjoyable. It just Magni2 creates this powerful darkness/silence during quiter/silent periods. I think you will feel that more powerful amp difference. It is just hard to describe, subtle maybe.

D

Deleted member 5035

I have an LG V35. I'm using Neutron for my player. Playing back a 1 KHz sine wave at any bit/sampling rate with no load on the output, I get 1.03 V-RMS out with the the quad-DAC on, and .7 V-RMS with it off - same as Amir. Does this mean I'm being limited to 16 bit audio, as Amir suggests? I intend to use the phone to drive a headphone amp, and would like to get the output right.

----------------------------------------

Update... I figured out how Amir got 2.0 V-RMS. In "High Impedance Headphones" mode, you get 2.0 V-RMS. in Auxiliary mode, which is what you get when you plug your phone into a headphone amp, you get 1.0 V-RMS. In order to get that "High Impedance Headphones" mode, you have to load the output of the phone with 50 to 600 ohms, on each of the two channels. Any higher, you get Auxiliary mode. Any lower, you get the regular headphones mode.

This means something. Those of you plugging in an adapter to trick the phone into high impedance mode aren't getting it. You're getting auxiliary mode, which is 1 V-RMS. If you want high impedance mode (2 V-RMS), you have to make an adapter with a load on each channel, then disconnect the load after you get your headphones connected - kind of difficult...

WARNING... Tricking your phone into either high impedance mode or auxiliary mode when using low impedance headphones forces your phone to output way more power than it was designed for. You are risking blowing your phone's headphone output chip.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 5035

Amir,

Since you had to "trick" UAPP into properly using the onboard quad-DAC and bypassing the Android stack in the G7, I'd be curious to know if Neutron Player is properly using the DAC and bypassing the stack, or if it has to "tricked" somehow, too. Any chance you could test Neutron on any LG phone that has the quad-DAC?

Nango

Major Contributor
@amirm I use this thread for a generic Q on audiophile mobiles vs DAP.

I have been told that commanding a given DAP by another DAP via USB otg (usually this poorer sounding but with WiFi-featured for TIDAL, the first DAP way better sounding but no wifi built-in) is much better than controlling the DAP by a mobile phone due to interferences, etc.

Do you have any ideas or measurements for these setups?

Top Bottom