• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

nymeria96

Hello, fellow Khadas users. I have read about a pop when the unit it powered on and powered off. Could anyone please shed some light in this regard? Does this happen? I am about to order the board but I just wanted to confirm about the popping issue.

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
Can anyone here tell me if other USB to USB-C cables work for the Tone Board? The grey one that came with my Tone Board is defective, the USB 2.0 side keeps disconnecting with the slightest movement. Would a USB 3.1 to USB-C work ok, or does it need to be USB 2.0?

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello, fellow Khadas users. I have read about a pop when the unit it powered on and powered off. Could anyone please shed some light in this regard? Does this happen? I am about to order the board but I just wanted to confirm about the popping issue.

Many have reported here in thread its a very low level noice that shouldn't harm any downstream gear, myself have no proplem let it loose power when wearing my head phones with a dedicated head phone amp at a more or less full throttle so as to control a stereo SPL in 86dB area and same is case if i let it feed DSP steered speaker system where power amps is also dialed into about a 86dB SPL area.

Can anyone here tell me if other USB to USB-C cables work for the Tone Board? The grey one that came with my Tone Board is defective, the USB 2.0 side keeps disconnecting with the slightest movement. Would a USB 3.1 to USB-C work ok, or does it need to be USB 2.0?

Can't see why it shouldn't work alright, inside cable there will be a couple of twisted pairs (SuperSpeed) that sit floating or non terminated at one end whether that is god or bad i really don't know.

Link USB at Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

thunderchicken

Just grab the amazon basics cable and you'll be set. I had the same issue and that's how I solved it.

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
Just grab the amazon basics cable and you'll be set. I had the same issue and that's how I solved it.
Yeah I just ordered one off Amazon today, hopefully that will work better. I guess we just got a bad batch of cables. Ah well, I needed a longer cable anyway.

systemshock

They should work, yes. Right now I am using it with the cable that came with my phone. In fact, you may be forced to replace the original one, as it causes problems; check out this thread on their forums: Audio cuts out randomly. I've had the exact same issue and fixed it by changing the cable.

Sidenote: I haven't measured it, but there seems to be a problem of some sort with the original cable. Since I changed it with another one, I started using it to charge my phone. I noticed that sometimes, when I touch the cable, while it charges, I get a small electric shock (like the one you get from, say, a 1.5V battery).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have never received an electric shock from a 1.5V battery, nor a 9V b.t.w.

When one feels a continuous 'sensation' then most likely it has something to do with mains leakage currents (common mode) and when one feels a short 'jolt' it is most likely that person has being statically charged and discharges (him/her-self) via the touched device.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I have never received an electric shock from a 1.5V battery, nor a 9V b.t.w.

When one feels a continuous 'sensation' then most likely it has something to do with mains leakage currents (common mode) and when one feels a short 'jolt' it is most likely that person has being statically charged and discharges (him/her-self) via the touched device.

You mean you dont test 9V batteries on your tongue?

Roen

sojer2005

Hi,
I have recently installed Khadas Tone Board in my main system and I really like it’s sound quality. IMHO sounds better than my Node 2 streamer.
Currently, I am using: Raspberry Pi3 (ropieee Roon endpoint) -> USB KTB -> Marantz integrated amp. I am using Roon software and I really like hardware volume control, everything works fine.

I am thinking about using something better as transport than plain Raspberry Pi3. Mayble Allo DigiOne? But my main concern is hardware volume control. Is it possible over spdif interface? In this case it wolud be: AlloDigiOne with ropieee -> spdif KTB -> Marantz integrated. Will I losse hardware volume control with this config?

Thanks.

Kingsley

I found that the Khadas Tone Board are back in stocks on Digi-key Website and can ship immediately, https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/k/khadas/ktone-tone-board , in addition, the accessories could be purchased on the same page, so convenient!
Digi-Key.jpg

Reactions: g29

Veri

Master Contributor

bunkbail

Forum Donor
So looking at the headphone 'conv', this thing can properly direct drive headphones :) ? If so, a cool feature.
I tried directly powering my headphones using the Khadas and they sound good but unfortunately can't get loud enough as expected :p.

Top Bottom