• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on the Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro DAC?

Tks

Major Contributor
I mean it looks aesthetically nice.. Though I am perplexed why they lack a gallery, and why the images currently there are simply all renders..

Second issue is, the Okto Research DAC exists, and boy does every DAC have their work cut out now. Once production catches up with demand, Okto I think it going to slap quite a few DACs out of relevancy (especially the stereo version that's folding channels together for better performance).

Final issue.. 1 year standard warranty. That's just dumb.

gvl

Major Contributor
I see that head-fi audiophiles are off-loading their X-Sabre Pros relatively often, which makes me think it will post good results here.

cjfrbw

Too 'spensive. Or, not 'spensive enough. I'm confused.

gvl

Major Contributor
Full-size CNC machined aluminum cases ain't cheap.

Veri

Master Contributor
I believe this will perform very similar to the Gustard X26 but with special niche features like xmos XU216 / DSD1024 which no one really 'needs'.

OKTO I am sure blows both away in objective performance :) no wonder they sold through all pre-orders in no time !

gvl

Major Contributor
Afaik it uses XMOS U6. It is a beauty.

open_big.jpg

gvl

Major Contributor
Sounds like it. I remember reading the original version didn't even get the XU208, and I2S was the only way to use the obscene DSD rates at the time for which they had the X-SPDIF 2.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Attachments

• element.PNG
    element.PNG
    44.9 KB · Views: 429

Zog

I'll buy it and send it in to Amir when he has time to do a test :)
Do it. You wont regret it. How do I know? I have bought one and it is fabulous. It is a real step up above both the Wyred4Sound Dac 2v2 SE and also the Oppo 205. I have been using the Oppo as a DAC (via USB) and it is virtually identical to the W4S (via I2S).

I even prefer the The Matrix Audio X-Sabre over the Accustic Arts Reference Tube Dac-II Mk3. This latter produces a refined and polished sound. I had it in my system as a trial for two weeks. I did not buy the Accustic Arts due to a combination of cost (I would have had to sell my daughter) and it was not a sufficiently large step above the W4S and Oppo.

I am running the Matrix Audio via I2S and USB interchangeably. It does native DSD 128 without breaking into a sweat. It is showing a lot of detail and has a natural sound.

Many thanks for the find Chris!

Crane

Forum Donor
Do it. You wont regret it. How do I know? I have bought one and it is fabulous. It is a real step up above both the Wyred4Sound Dac 2v2 SE and also the Oppo 205. I have been using the Oppo as a DAC (via USB) and it is virtually identical to the W4S (via I2S).

I even prefer the The Matrix Audio X-Sabre over the Accustic Arts Reference Tube Dac-II Mk3. This latter produces a refined and polished sound. I had it in my system as a trial for two weeks. I did not buy the Accustic Arts due to a combination of cost (I would have had to sell my daughter) and it was not a sufficiently large step above the W4S and Oppo.

I am running the Matrix Audio via I2S and USB interchangeably. It does native DSD 128 without breaking into a sweat. It is showing a lot of detail and has a natural sound.

Many thanks for the find Chris!

I wonder how the newer element x would be in comparison especially with the built in headphone amp and how it would compare to the RME

Top Bottom