• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70 DAC

Snafu

If the price difference is around 300-400€ vs D50, it needs to be solid out of the gates or it's just a D50 with remote.
They must be sweating to make it perform better than D50 or it's a major let down ;)

typericey

Happy D50 owner here and really excited about this. Could be the logical upgrade for me. Not that I find fault with how the D50 sounds, but balanced outputs and better (anticipated) measurements may be enough reasons to move up.

I just hope that the price is closer to $600 than $800. This would put it at the clip level of how much I am willing to spend for a DAC (the Chord Qutest, Gustard X26 and SMSL D1 will remain to be mere fantasies for me).

Also fingers crossed that there’ll be no bugs. Which means I have to wait for Amirm’s review and reports from early adapters. Which means this would likely be a Christmas gift for myself.

P.S. Seems the DAC race is so real, both for chips and products. Loose analogy, but it reminds me of the camera megapixel and high ISO noise race (more recently sensor size too) as well as the smartphone race. Heck it even reminds me of the CD player bits and oversampling race of yore, 16-4x, 18-8x, Bitstream etc.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Also fingers crossed that there’ll be no bugs.

Well, it's just a DAC. Either it performs or it doesn't :)

The only 'bug' I sometimes saw with D50 is some people having trouble connecting with its coax input. D70 should have transformer isolated digital inputs if it's built similar to DX7 which should remedy the possibility of that.

typericey

The only 'bug' I sometimes saw with D50 is some people having trouble connecting with its coax input.

Coincidence that you mentioned this now. Since I bought the D50 I’ve been using only the optical and usb. Only today that I tried its coaxial with the Fiio X5 III and it just wouldn’t connect. I was quick to blame my crappy Fiio than my beloved DAC.

AresHarvest

The only 'bug' I sometimes saw with D50 is some people having trouble connecting with its coax input. D70 should have transformer isolated digital inputs if it's built similar to DX7 which should remedy the possibility of that.

Is there some documentation on this, and has anyone figured out the cause and/or solution? So far I've found mentions of it in this thread but I'm having difficulty finding anything definitive.

Veri

Master Contributor
Is there some documentation on this, and has anyone figured out the cause and/or solution? So far I've found mentions of it in this thread but I'm having difficulty finding anything definitive.
No clue. I can only assume the sensitivity of the input is low, since the issue is not 'locking' onto the signal but rather getting any connection at all.

Tks

Major Contributor
If the price difference is around 300-400€ vs D50, it needs to be solid out of the gates or it's just a D50 with remote.
They must be sweating to make it perform better than D50 or it's a major let down ;)

You better start praying now, especially with this whole trade-war bullshit going on, that this pre-order price of last year hasn't gone up higher, let alone "price being 300-400"

Our expectations aren't even in the same ballpark.

Fucking RIP

At these prices might as well save up for an RME DAC, the DSP capabilities on that thing are too large to ignore from a value proposition (on top of not having to deal with the distances involved with warranty of Topping products, as well as pedigree between one and the other in terms of communications and provanance and such...no offense to Topping or anything of course, they're killing it compared to the competition nonetheless).

Tks

Major Contributor
^mmmmokey... what ?

:rolleyes:

The possibility of this thing costing far more than we’ve anticipated is still, possible. Not good news basically is what I’m saying.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If the price of D70 is really 800 USD, I see no reason why I shouldn't simply buy RME DAC-2 - it has a very good headphone amp, parametric EQ, way more functions, and it is proven to be a well-designed / made product.

I like my Topping D50 and DX7s.

But D70 at this price, it is hard to convince me...

tomli747

D70 will be available in China on 27/5.
Price is RMB2999 (USD 435).
There will be 10% discount before 3/6 in China.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
D70 will be available in China on 27/5.
Price is RMB2999 (USD 435).
There will be 10% discount before 3/6 in China.
Well, that's a lot better than $800. Now, lets see if Massdrop gets it for cheaper, along with the SMSL M300.

thesrod

Directly from Topping:
"
Dear Matt

MSRP of D70(no Bluetooth version) is USD499.99, but I think maybe some sellers will provide discount when it launch. Bluetooth version will come later.

Best Regards!
----------------------------------
Hailin Huang
Sales manager & Product team member of TOPPING
26th Jiaomen Road, Huangge Town, Nansha, Guangzhou, China
Zip code: 511455

"

Top Bottom