• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to EQ from SPOTIFY

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I converted an old PC as my music source. I will in due time install the ROON core on it it . I also listen from my work PC when I am traveling or in my office
Question:
How do I eq from SPOTIFY? on foobar and ROON, not a problem , .... with SPOTIFY no EQ. Output is USB from a PC, I'd like any source to simply be EQ ... from the PC be it SPOTIFY , ROON or Foobar. I would like to have one EQ application through which all music go. Headphones are my 3 mainstays: HiFiman HE-560, Stax-SR-009 and SONY WMX-100 Bluetooth NC which I use once in a while with my PC when I want to isolate myself from the ambient noise.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you considered using a system-wide EQ like Equalizer APO?

I was going to answer EqualizerAPO as well.
It will be bypassed by ASIO, so won't be applied to Foobar2000 if you select an ASIO driver on it for instance.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi

I converted an old PC as my music source. I will in due time install the ROON core on it it . I also listen from my work PC when I am traveling or in my office
Question:
How do I eq from SPOTIFY? on foobar and ROON, not a problem , .... with SPOTIFY no EQ. Output is USB from a PC, I'd like any source to simply be EQ ... from the PC be it SPOTIFY , ROON or Foobar. I would like to have one EQ application through which all music go through. Headphones are my 3 mainstays: HiFiman HE-560, Stax-SR-009 and SONY WMX-100 Bluetooth NC which I use once in a while with my PC when I want to isolate myself from the ambient noise.
Thanks in advance

1231front_lg_full_width.jpg

DDF

Is this a software?

I will try EqualizerAPO immediately

I’ve heard to also try peace GUI with it. They’re in my to do list for the same reason as you.

gvl

Major Contributor
You can use JRiver for that. For Spotify you need to enable the WDM driver in settings and make it the default sound device on your PC, for others they can also use the WDM driver directly in exclusive mode or there is also a virtual ASIO device JRiver installs if memory serves. Then when you play in your applications JRiver gets the audio stream and there you have a pretty powerful DSP engine, EQ including. JRiver must be set to output to your actual audio device using WASAPI or ASIO.

You can use JRiver for that. For Spotify you need to enable the WDM driver in settings and make it the default sound device on your PC, for others they can also use the WDM driver directly in exclusive mode or there is also a virtual ASIO device JRiver installs if memory serves. Then when you play in your applications JRiver gets the audio stream and there you have a pretty powerful DSP engine, EQ including. JRiver must be set to output to your actual audio device using WASAPI or ASIO.
Yes this is what i did when I was learning about all this last month. Jriver is your playback device, and it was outputting to my dac/amp via USB.

OP
F

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried the APO EQ plus Peace GUI. The combo works well.

I don't have plan to use JRiver...

gvl

Major Contributor

You may want to reconsider if you're a serious Spotify premium user, as JRiver allows to bypass the system mixer and improve sound quality, from my experience anyway.

DDF

Just installed EQ APO as well (didn't bother with peace gui). Using Audacity I verified that the EQ applied was identical for Tidal, Spotify and foobar. I set the default in windows to 44.1 and 24 bits as everything I play (and streaming) is 44.1 so there is no resampling and it sounds great, I should have done this much earlier!

gvl

Major Contributor
No resampling? Are you implying the EQ it performs is bit accurate?

DDF

There's no such thing as "bit perfect" eq. The Windows resampler can lead to bad problems but if set to the correct sample rate, its avoided. Windows will add some dither but thats well done. I've taken measurements and am very satisfied.

There's no such thing as "bit perfect" eq. The Windows resampler can lead to bad problems but if set to the correct sample rate, its avoided. Windows will add some dither but thats well done. I've taken measurements and am very satisfied.
When you talk about Windows adding dither, can you elaborate? Sorry, I'm still learning all this. I setup this way and just stream mostly through tidal hifi, and I'll manually change to 24 bit when listening to mqa tracks. I did the jriver thing but it just seemed like way more inconvenience than it was worth. Maybe if I had a larger collection of downloaded files vs streaming. Plus tidal can be set to exclusive mode if you wish anyway, but I prefer to use a little eq

VincentYyl

The Equalizer on Spotify sucks. I never get a satisfying effect. But I found the EQ from Poweramp is super useful, and so I get the whole album from Spotify with spotify album converter and play the album on Poweramp, to be honest, that built-in eq is staggering.

Top Bottom