• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So, what are recommendable amps below 200$?

estuardo4

Excellent point. I'd happily pay $1,000 to $1,500 for such a beast. I could always get a Bryston 2.5B3, but I don't have $4k handy. :)

125wpc there are plenty in the $500 range that measures well. But 125wpc at 4 Ohm :p

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow, that is amazing.

WHat is the interest level in these large units as opposed to desktop class products I have been testing?
The form factor makes it less interesting to me. But maybe they are good performers for this money. I would suggest picking the best from this list and measure that one.
The Sony STR-DH190 looks to provide great performance for the buck.

OP
G

goodkeys

Ofcourse a desktop amp that measures well and is affordable would be awesome. But as that proves to be hard (impossible?) to find, I am interested in these large units. If they perform better than the desktop amps then I'd rather buy the large one.
+1 would love to see a review of the Sony STR-DH190.

BillG

Major Contributor
Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Willem

Major Contributor
And it is a bit anaemic for anything more than a desktop amp.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It'll be louder than a jackhammer from six feet away with 89dB sensitivity (rather average) speakers. But if you prefer to damage your hearing, go for it... :rolleyes:

I take it that is a joke? :p

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, that is amazing.

WHat is the interest level in these large units as opposed to desktop class products I have been testing?

Personally I'd love to see you publish more tests of full-size component power amps (or integrated amps). I don't have a hangup about the size - I'd just love to see more data points for amps that provide a bit more power and measure better. The idea that you can get a small desktop amp that performs very well "considering its size and price" is cool - but I'd love to see if relatively affordable ($500-$1500, say) larger amps measure better, for use in a primary component stereo system.

I recognize that shipping could make such things prohibitive, but since you asked for interest level... Thanks!

SEKLEM

Personally I'd love to see you publish more tests of full-size component power amps (or integrated amps). I don't have a hangup about the size - I'd just love to see more data points for amps that provide a bit more power and measure better. The idea that you can get a small desktop amp that performs very well "considering its size and price" is cool - but I'd love to see if relatively affordable ($500-$1500, say) larger amps measure better, for use in a primary component stereo system.

I recognize that shipping could make such things prohibitive, but since you asked for interest level... Thanks!

Considering the cost of some of these desktop solutions It would be nice to see how a full size component of similar cost (stereo or multichannel) compare in the $100-200 range. Accessories4less.com has quite a number of certified refurb receivers from major manufacturers for under $200. Additionally all the multichannel units have subwoofer outputs with bass management and some even have some manor of auto EQ.

estuardo4

And it is a bit anaemic for anything more than a desktop amp.

If you have normal speakers, then yes, it is anemic. But if you have an efficient speaker, then 40W is more than enough to bring the house down. It all depends.

Other people with more knowledge than me at this forum has proven with measurements that even 5W can work, depending on room dimension, speaker efficiency and clean power from the amp.

I much rather prefer to have the cleanest 40W amp, than the dirtiest 200W offered from certain bargain models. No matter the class of the amp.

Thanks to Amir, I didn't buy the Nuforce STA200. I purchased the Powergate and I couldn't be happier.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Sony STR-DH190 looks to provide great performance for the buck.
OK, I just ordered it. What the heck I am going to do with after the test, I don't know.....

estuardo4

OK, I just ordered it. What the heck I am going to do with after the test, I don't know.....

It would be a miracle if it performs well. When on the outside you look cheap (those speakers connections for example), imagine the components used on the outside.

Sony is not the same Sony of yore. I miss that Sony. Now they are just an OEM company for several products, including their famous TVs :confused:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"The total number of employees in the Sony Group as of March 31, 2018 was approximately 117,300, a decrease of approximately 11,100 from March 31, 2017. Although there were increases in the financial services and picture segments, there was a large decrease in employees in the Electronics segment due to the transfer of the battery business. As a result of the splitting out of business units in recent years, the number of employees at Sony Corporation was approximately 2,400 as of March 31, 2018."

More: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/csr_report/employees/info/

estuardo4

"The total number of employees in the Sony Group as of March 31, 2018 was approximately 117,300, a decrease of approximately 11,100 from March 31, 2017. Although there were increases in the financial services and picture segments, there was a large decrease in employees in the Electronics segment due to the transfer of the battery business. As a result of the splitting out of business units in recent years, the number of employees at Sony Corporation was approximately 2,400 as of March 31, 2018."

More: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/csr_report/employees/info/

Really sad. And now even the sales of PlayStation 4 are not what they were expecting.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No. I'm not particularly funny to most people since I tend to be very direct. Grab a SPL calculator and verify it for yourself... :oops:

Ok, my apologies :)

Anyway, I get no more than 100dB, depending on the speaker’s impedance. Less if the speaker had a more average sensitivity of 86db.

That’s a good 20-30dB short of a jackhammer at the same distance, I would have thought.

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow, that is amazing.

I'm very interested. Ironically, some of these receivers (like the Sony measured in that Wirecutter article) are actually better suited to desktop use than a lot of "desktop" Class D amps thanks to their lower distortion at <1W.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be a miracle if it performs well. When on the outside you look cheap (those speakers connections for example), imagine the components used on the outside.

Sony is not the same Sony of yore. I miss that Sony. Now they are just an OEM company for several products, including their famous TVs :confused:

Sony's official specs page rates it as 100wpc - at 1kHz, 1% distortion. Yikes.

Top Bottom