• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Audioengine D3 DAC & Amp

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The problem for me with USB OTG device (which I tested) - is that you cannot be charging your Android device and listening to the music at the same time. I tried connecting just power thru USB OTG. Nothing happens.

DosThou

The problem for me with USB OTG device (which I tested) - is that you cannot be charging your Android device and listening to the music at the same time. I tried connecting just power thru USB OTG. Nothing happens.
One potential solution to this is by using a wireless charging. Of course then you'll need android devices which support that...

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
Could this dongle be used on Windows 7 (Pro) without driver?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems difficult to find it for cheap with the assurance that it will be v2.
At least in France (no international shipping from AudioEngine).

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Going again for 65$ at massdrop NOW!

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just received the one I got in last drop.
I can't have it working on Vista (who still uses it though?).
Works plug-&-play on Win 10.
In use with AKG K701, corrected by convolution in Foobar with an impulse I found on Github, it sounds great!
Detailed and smooth at the same time in this configuration.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What prevents you from upgrading Vista to Windows 10 (similar or better performance on the same PC)?
Or, if money is an issue, go with Linux on such an old machine.

Old Listener

Just received the one I got in last drop.
Works plug-&-play on Win 10.
In use with AKG K701, corrected by convolution in Foobar with an impulse I found on Github, it sounds great!
Detailed and smooth at the same time in this configuration.

MY D3 works plug and play on Win 7, Win 8.1 and Win 10 for me. My regular use is on a Win 8.1 NUC.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to connect active speakers to this DAC (for example JBL 305P MKII) or only headphones?

Old Listener

Is it possible to connect active speakers to this DAC (for example JBL 305P MKII) or only headphones?

My D3 DAC is connected to Dynaudio active pro audio monitors through a 3.5 mm to RCA phono adapter followed by RCA phono (unbalanced) to XLR cables. Works fine.

You can buy the adapter and cables on Monoprice, B&H Photo or Amazon. Probably on Sweetwater too.

Old Listener

Thanks. Why do you need a phono adapter?

I don't think that you understand what RCA phono refers to.

a 3.5 mm to RCA adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...ocphy=9032056&hvtargid=pla-303037967706&psc=1

The two RCA connectors are the sort used for unbalanced cable conections between components in consumer Hi-Fi gear. The more precise name is RCA phono connector.

An entirely different kind of connector(RCA phone) is used mostly in the pro audio world. It was used for connecting headphones to amplifier.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think that you understand what RCA phono refers to.

a 3.5 mm to RCA adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...ocphy=9032056&hvtargid=pla-303037967706&psc=1

The two RCA connectors are the sort used for unbalanced cable conections between components in consumer Hi-Fi gear. The more precise name is RCA phono connector.

An entirely different kind of connector(RCA phone) is used mostly in the pro audio world. It was used for connecting headphones to amplifier.

Thanks. I didn't know those were also known as RCA phono. Very standard!

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Running the Audioengine D3 (bought a few months ago so it must be v2) with a pair of One More Triple Driver Over Ear on Windows 7
It is loud enough at 2% in Windows. 10% would be the max I can handle. How does that correlate to the power graph?

dopeist

Hello Amirm,

Long time lurker, but first time poster.

Have you ever considered measuring the long standing AudioEngine D1?

I would love to see measurements of their comparable full size desktop unit.

I would be willing to loan mine out to you!

Cheers,
Dopeist

Top Bottom