• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Marantz AV8805 AV Processor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Didn’t you get a feeling that stereo version is like B/W picture comparing to the colorful picture (surround one)?
I have always felt that way.
Must be nice. ;)
Yes and no. It great to play with new and interesting stuff. OTOH, it is often sad to return items which are inherently superior but do not accommodate one's personal (or uxorial) requirements.

ProFan

I have always felt that way.
Well, we are discussing 8805 in this thread, which is more or less affordable piece of equipment to enjoy the quality of surround sound along with previous 8802, 8802A AV processors (these ones use relatively good DAC chip).
Trinnov is nice, but it is a bit expensive, and not so many people can afford it. This is why this discussion is pretty important - 8805 can be a good solution (unless one can afford something better) to enjoy the “color” of surround sound for many people. It is relatively good not only for movies, but for high resolution surround musical sources as well (some of them you have considered as magnificent). As an expert, what can you say about the measurements of it, published in this thread?

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
As an expert, what can you say about the measurements of it, published in this thread?
I think that they touch only upon a portion of the factors that determine total performance.

ProFan

I think that they touch only upon a portion of the factors that determine total performance.
Wow, what a diplomatic answer! OK, let me rephrase the question : do you also think that something is “flat broken” in the DAC filtering?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Wow, what a diplomatic answer! OK, let me rephrase the question : do you also think that something is “flat broken” in the DAC filtering?
No, I do not. I have listened to it for a long time and compared it with any number of other "DACs." It is generally quite satisfying and I bought it. I would not say that it is superior, as a DAC, to all comers but, when you are dealing with a complex device like a modern pre-pro, many other issues are relevant. For example, the Trinnov is (to me) audibly superior but I'd rather use the Marantz and so would my wife.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I had a Marantz processor some years ago from the 7000 series. It had definite audible distortion to my ears when doing an AB comparison to a Lynx Two-B sound card. When I asked Ken Ishiwata at a hifi show in Munich whether the 8000-series would be transparent, his basically answer was no. He explained it by saying Marantz didn't have a goal to produce what he called "studio sound". So I'm not surprised by these measurements.

The way I got around to a transparent solution for my home theater was setting it up with a Lynx sound cards and using Jriver for processing.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The way I got around to a transparent solution for my home theater was setting it up with a Lynx sound cards and using Jriver for processing.
I have contemplated that but I don't really care very much about home theater. The Marantz is in an HT system and is used also for music listening in that environment. My main music system is elsewhere.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yamaha's surround processor sounds more transparent than Marantz 8000 series to my ears. I heard them up against each other a few years with level matching. Would be great to see a measurement of it. It's also cheaper.
On the other hand, Yamaha's surround receivers have always sounded distorted to me. But their processor seems to be a lot different.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Yes and no. It great to play with new and interesting stuff. OTOH, it is often sad to return items which are inherently superior but do not accommodate one's personal (or uxorial) requirements.

Had to look up "uxorial", darn you! :) I was thinking it related to money, like you couldn't afford it, but no. Or maybe yes. Or, nevermind...

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yamaha's surround processor sounds more transparent than Marantz 8000 series to my ears.
That may be but YPAO is inadequate, imho.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Had to look up "uxorial", darn you! :) I was thinking it related to money, like you couldn't afford it, but no. Or maybe yes. Or, nevermind...
I could afford it if I wanted it badly enough but, as I keep saying, "I don't really care very much about home theater."

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I could afford it if I wanted it badly enough but, as I keep saying, "I don't really care very much about home theater."

No, wasn't thinking of (just) the Trinnov and not HT at all. I meant "afford" in the more general sense of reviewing a (any) piece of gear I couldn't afford to buy. As in a pair of speakers worth more than my house, or a set of interconnects (or stereo preamp) worth more than my car. Back when I was in the biz and knew, or at least spoke with, a few reviewers that would come up now and then -- the really awesome piece of gear reviewed that was unaffordable to the guy reviewing it. After hours at CES that was usually one of the topics over dinner and drinks.

But now that I think about it, are there many if any multichannel processors that focus on music? I'd think you'd either have to go with a multichannel player like an Oppo into something fairly simple (or a group of simple preamps or passive switches and level controllers), or buy an HT processor to get EQ, bass management, and all that jazz. I am behind on reading but IIRC a high-quality surround system for music has been one of those things you've had to struggle with a bit?

ProFan

"I don't really care very much about home theater."
If we will rephrase it: “I don’t really care very much about multichannel musical sources even knowing that some of them are magnificent”, does it sound right?

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
If we will rephrase it: “I don’t really care very much about multichannel musical sources even knowing that some of them are magnificent”, does it sound right?

No. Check out his column on the Stereophile web site. Kal cares dearly about multichannel music.

Top Bottom