• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can Loudspeakers Accurately Reproduce The Sound Of Real Instruments...and Do You Care?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More seriously, has any attempt of an ABX between real musicians VS Hi-FI system ever been made?

https://seanolive.blogspot.com/2010/07/why-live-versus-recorded-listening.html

"Thomas Edison was among the first audio engineers to embrace live-versus-recorded demonstrations. In 1910, he invented the Edison Diamond Disk Phonograph, which he claimed had “no tone” of its own. To prove it, a series of road shows involving 4,000 live-versus-recorded demonstrations of his phonograph were conducted in auditoriums across the United States. At some point during the live music performance there would be a switch over to the recorded performance, and apparently audience members could not tell the difference between the live and recorded performances.

After a 1916 live-versus-recorded demonstration in Carnegie Hall, the New York Evening Mail stated “the ear could not tell when it was listening to the phonograph alone, and when to actual voice and reproduction together. Only the eye could discover the truth by noting when the singer’s mouth was open or closed.”

Edison's Tone Test.jpg

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But you can have BETTER sound than in real-life, even more REALISTIC, with a dCS Debussy.

More seriously, has any attempt of an ABX between real musicians VS Hi-FI system ever been made?

Well, there was that Carnegie Hall demo in 1940, where Rachmaninoff was present. :)

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
"Thomas Edison was among the first audio engineers to embrace live-versus-recorded demonstrations...
View attachment 25458

My understanding, from the latest edition of Toole's book, is that the opera singer trained to deliberately mimic the sound of the phonograph. Toole also noticed that the blindfolds cover or at least partially cover the ears of the listeners.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reproducing a live event is very different to just reproducing instrumental timbre.
No hifi, except maybe a surround one I haven't heard, can reproduce the live event in the room but some speakers definitely have better reproduction of instrumental timbre than others IME.
Of course, as I keep being reminded, classical music is dying out, and electronic instruments don't have a recognisable timbre (to me, anyway) to reproduce so it may be of little importance to most people who find other aspects of performance more important. For me it was the decisive parameter in my choice.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
"Can Loudspeakers Accurately Reproduce The Sound Of Real Instruments...and Do You Care?"

No...and I don't care!

As quoted above, the problem starts from the choice and placement of microhone(s)! Other major problem is the loudspeaker and third the room. Still, listening to a good recording with good equipment is a pleasure, close enough.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My attitude toward speaker design is that as a designer you're trying to create a space where musical expression can take place. The space has many different dimensions, and different technical decisions either enlarge or restrict that space. A good speaker, to me, is one which can do more things, and ideally do those things simultaneously.

My goal is, within cost and size constraints, to make that space as big as possible. If the speaker can play loud, that makes the space bigger. If it can resolve quiet sounds well, that also makes the space bigger. If it can go deep, and the bass works in the room, that's better - although I am also a fan of speakers with restricted bass, so that I can use subs to more carefully fill in the bottom end.

Narrow directivity vs. wide directivity is less of an issue for me - they can both give you the music, just in different ways in different rooms. As long as the power response is fairly smooth they're both possibilities, but something like a fourth order two way with a 7" woofer and 3/4" tweeter essentially has a huge resonance in the power response which may sound good but is less natural.

The issue of instrument timbre that you're referring to is really important to me. I have also noticed that some speakers can make brass really sound like metal, and make woodwinds really sound like wood. The trick is being able to do both simultaneously.

For conventional speakers like the ones I like to design, the choice of a midrange driver is what makes the difference. A real high end mid driver is what makes the difference here in my experience. These needn't be expensive - the Peerless NE123 is a great midrange although it isn't the final word here. The Bohlender Graebner 8" planar mid is another good one, and I'm sure there are many others. A bigger paper or poly cone I would personally shy away from here, but I've heard the 5" AudioTechnology unit is among the best mids according to people I trust.

These days you see a lot of metal cone mids in good speakers like those from Revel and Paradigm; you also see ceramic or Be midrange units on their higher end units, which presumably allow shallower crossover slopes to the HF unit due to the higher break up points. In this case, the cone material is effectively allowing smoother directivity. This is a great approach, and these modern metal mids have very low measured distortion and can play pretty loud, but they can also sound a bit precise on bad recordings.

I have no idea how good it can get; recordings and speakers have obvious limitations, but as far as timbral presentation, modern drivers can do a better job for less money than could be achieved in Infinity's heyday.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as the historical demos are concerned, I think the context and expectations of the era also played a big role. If whatever you hear or see is closer to the real thing than anything you have been used to before, the wow factor takes over. Even if I haven't heard the Edison recordings (are they available somewhere btw?) or attended the Carnegie Hall demo (I am a bit old, but not that old) I doubt we would perceive them as amazingly lifelike today.

In other fields, color cinema and TV were quite a shock back then, they "finally looked like real life".

At a personal level, I took a break from hi-fi in the mid 80ies and came back to it around 2010. It was quite a shock as well. Suddenly everything sounded much much nicer and closer to the real thing. I believe speakers have improved tremendously thanks to computer-assisted modeling, signal analysis and DSP in general. I am sure some good speakers existed 30 years ago, but most of them seemed to have been a bunch of semi-randomly assembled drivers back then.

I am guessing that at some point, in the next 50 years or so, we'll get some kind of implants or direct neural interface for music and that people will enjoy testing and comparing them, endlessly arguing about action potential rises and fall and making fun of external, intrinsically limited interfaces such as today's speakers...

JanRSmit

The key questions to ask are: how is the recording fine? And, what criteria has a loudspeaker system to meet in order for our hearing system to be accepted as ok?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At a personal level, I took a break from hi-fi in the mid 80ies and came back to it around 2010. It was quite a shock as well. Suddenly everything sounded much much nicer and closer to the real thing. I believe speakers have improved tremendously thanks to computer-assisted modeling, signal analysis and DSP in general. I am sure some good speakers existed 30 years ago, but most of them seemed to have been a bunch of semi-randomly assembled drivers back then.

The ability to measure speakers using a PC in the 90s was a huge leap forward for the industry; the ability to do gated measurements at home as really helped the DIY scene. Many designers in the 90s became a bit obsessed with phenomena observed from a single mic measurement (this whole ridiculous false distinction between 'time' and 'frequency' domains), but with the proliferation of free software enabling spatial measurement, we are finally seeing very complete pictures of speaker radiation.

Unless a manufacturer is serious enough to have a big anechoic chamber, or laser interferometers or a klippel set up, or FEA expertise, they have few advantages over a good DIY set up, in my opinion. You'll notice it's only people like JBL and EV designing new waveguides, and not boutique speaker companies.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for all the interesting replies.

It seems the majority here fall in to one of the categories I mentioned in my first post: It's impossible to recreate the real sound (including my particular focus on instrumental timbre), thus I don't expect it of a sound system so I don't care about that goal.

At least that last "therefore I don't expect it and don't seek that" is an inference. But surely, don't many people here care at all that a piano sounds like a piano? A sax like a sax? To *some* degree? And isn't familiarity with the sound of real sounds - e.g. voices - one of the ways we can identify with our ears how a reproduction departs from the real thing? I.e. you could reject a speaker without even measuring it based on how obviously it colored the reproduction of the human voice - an obvious dip in the frequency spectrum, or a resonance giving an artificial "chesty/boxy" coloration. So a residue of my question remains: Given a loudspeaker can't perfectly reproduce the real thing...to the degree it CAN reproduce some aspects or semblance of the real thing, do you not use any comparison to the real thing AT ALL or care?

For me, the single most important characteristics of a "High End" audio listening experience is a timbral presentation that gives me some of what I like about the sound of real life voices and instruments. If the tone/timbre sounds obviously "off" to my ears, I simply have no desire to keep sitting and listening. I don't have these demands for music that I listen to elsewhere - in my car, in my kitchen while cooking, as background music.
I think the idea that one needs high end gear to properly enjoy music is ridiculous. I truly, deeply enjoy even listening to music from my iphone's speakers - select a song, or internet radio station, toss my phone on to my bed while it's playing music as I'm getting dressed or whatever...love it!

So I don't need a high end system in order to enjoy music. But if I want to be compelled by both the music AND the SOUND, which for me is the point of wanting a higher end system, then I prefer a system that can, in some important-to-me-ways, remind me of the real thing.

And for me some systems can do this, others just do not.

For decades I've been habitually closing my eyes when listening to real voices and acoustic instruments to inventory the characteristics that I love so much about it, and which distinguish it from most reproduced sound. Same when I listen to sound systems - why don't I buy this? What characteristics depart from the real thing?

When I listen to acoustic guitar, or play my own, it invokes in my mind certain tonal qualities/colors/characteristics. It was always sort of vexing that acoustic guitar through some systems actually DID seem to recreate the essential tonal colors/characteristics I apprehend in the real thing.
As in "yes, that's right, that's essentially how those sound to me in real life!" While others didn't evoke this sense of "rightness" whatsoever.
I found that "rightness" to be utterly compelling and satisfying.

Of course there's all the problem of bias involved and, like almost all of us, I had no easy way to do some double-blind tests between real instruments and reproduced. But I did still wonder if I was actually carrying around some usefully accurate sense of "the sound of real instruments" that was doing any work when listening to systems. As a very basic touchstone I long ago made recordings of my wife's voice, my kid's voices, instruments I knew well - my acoustic guitar, my son's playing sax and trombone etc. So I could do live-vs-reproduced comparisons
for speakers I had in my home (I used to review for a brief while, but aside from that had many different speakers), and as a touchstone to bring to auditioning speakers. In the close-my-eyes and listen to the live-vs-reproduced sounds, especially when it came to my wife's voice and my acoustic guitar (I'd have a friend play it), there really DID seem to be that difference I thought I was detecting. Some speakers really DID seem to be reproducing the guitar with recognizable timbrel verisimilitude, while others just didn't. For me, discerning a believable timbrel representation between speakers is like viewing different TVs to see if the color seems accurate, especially for well known colors like skin tones. There's always going to be deviations for many reasons in terms of a TV perfectly reproducing skin tones (not least because the sources and photographic techniques/quality/artistic choices will vary), but we can still identify when a TV's color is really "off" when it never renders realistic skin tones.

Frankly I've been amazed at how authentically some speakers have rendered the sound of my acoustic guitar, where it was *almost* effortless to imagine someone was playing my actual guitar right in front of me. Whereas other speakers can produce a very convincing sense that *something* is playing very vividly in front of me...but it's not like the real thing because the tonal "color" is wrong.

And I still use that touchstone: I don't expect any sound system will produce total accuracy, the true range of tonal characteristics of "the real thing." But I want it to generally be able to produce something characteristic of the real thing, something important to the way I hear things.
So acoustic guitar recordings may not be perfect facsimiles of what occurred in front of the microphone, but they *do* generally invoke in my mind what I hear from acoustic guitars, that particular combination of "woody body, sparkly metallic strings" that produce the "tonal colors" I seem to experience from real guitars.

And with this "tone-first" attitude when evaluating sound systems, I've noticed that every speaker system I've encountered seems to homogenize timbres in a specific way. That is, once I hear just a few instances of drum cymbals, or a sax, trumpet, acoustic guitar or whatever on that system, there is no more timbral surprises really. I pretty much know what drum cymbals and those other instruments are going to sound like, in terms of tonal color, from then on. So given every system homogenizes to some degree, I prefer to have a system that at least "homogenizes" to a tonal quality that *generally* or often seems consonant with what I hear from the real thing.

But, again, I remain curious to what degree others here use the sounds of voices or real instruments as any sort of touchstone in choosing speakers, even within the understanding "it will never truly reproduce the real thing."

My sense from reading web sites like this is that most members evaluate mostly on technical parameters off accuracy, and if it measures accurate...well...what else should I bother worrying about?

Last edited:
OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do audiophiles often eschew orchestral music in favour of solo violin or girl-and-guitar when demonstrating their systems? Because the problems don't stand out as much.

And/or because few audiophile systems have the output to even come close to reproducing the power and scale and complexity of an orchestra, where a single instrument or voice might be presented realistically within the limits of even a stand mounted speaker.

My MBL 121 omni stand mounted speakers can produce a pretty amazing facsimile of the real thing with a sax or acoustic guitar, especially in the "sounds real from just outside the room" test.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At least that last "therefore I don't expect it and don't seek that" is an inference. But surely, don't many people here care at all that a piano sounds like a piano? A sax like a sax? To *some* degree?

If the recording sounds like that, sure. But all you can say about the speaker is that it should accurately reproduce recordings. Whether a given recording will sound like a sax/piano/voice is beyond the speaker’s control.

My sense from reading web sites like this is that most members evaluate mostly on technical parameters off accuracy, and if it measures accurate...well...what else should I bother worrying about?

I think you need subjective data to know what (and to what extent) measurements matter. And when it comes to speakers, certain factors (e.g. polar response) are not present in the recording, so a range of possible measurements could be called equally “accurate”. Further, my interpretation of the majority view on this site is that a preference for inaccurate sound is fine, so long as it is a genuine preference and not a mistaken belief based on e.g. sighted listening, which is notoriously unreliable.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Can Loudspeakers Accurately Reproduce The Sound Of Real Instruments...and Do You Care?

Not in my experience. Do I care? It's still the goal of High Fidelity, so yes in a way.
If a speaker (or system) came out tomorrow that could do the "live or memerex" thing perfectly wouldn't that be a revolution in HiFi?
I don't believe it's totally a timbrel issue though it may be folded into the larger issue.
IME the closest speakers I've heard that approach "live" were all horns so low distortion at live spl's might be more to the issue.
Also some hard to describe point of how the speaker couples it's wavefront to the room seems to play a part.

How about the mic? Is it missing something.
Any recording guys ever mic'd a guitar amp and then played the recording back on the same amp?
Did it sound identical?
Just curious?

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
AND NOW...SOME MEASUREMENTS...

Jukka Pätynen’s PhD thesis on “A virtual symphony orchestra for studies on concert hall acoustics” (https://aaltodoc.aalto.fi/bitstream.../isbn9789526042916.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y) contains some interesting charts (see below).

Pätynen and the Aalto University team set out to create a virtual orchestra, making instrument recordings in anechoic chamber to be played back in concert halls. Their main purpose was to study concert hall acoustics, but these figures - which show the power response of instruments and the played back power response of the same recorded instrument through a loudspeaker (a Genelec 1029A, https://www.genelec.com/support-technology/previous-models/1029a-studio-monitor) - are maybe of interest in this discussion, aren’t they?

My first reaction is: What is the source of different power responses between instrument and speaker? Why is it that the gap - the frequency response error - is downward sloping with higher frequencies in almost all cases.

In any case, this is documentation that the reproduction is not the same as the real instrument. And the systematic bias in the loudspeaker is fascinating. Such a big gap is undoubtedly audible.

Any thoughts?

49E5F9C7-352B-4236-8098-74524AF79C4D.jpeg

91910EEB-011E-4C80-B381-422E0002D298.jpeg

ABE97C1E-C22D-428D-8BF6-CEAD17805EA1.jpeg

046E5F96-4E8D-464A-8AD9-7EBBCC31C28B.jpeg

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually it can be.

Yup. See my TV colour analogy. We don't have to expect perfect replication in order to recognize more ore less deviation from reality, which it seems to me makes reality still a useful measure to some degree.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Just a remark - when protoptyping the speaker in my avatar, I listened to it (the single proto) a lot. A single speaker presents a single instrument's sound much better than a stereo pair! This same phenomenom is one of the virtues of multichannel recodings and systems - solist sounds so much better, more coherent and with better timbre from C-channel.

And yes, as a fan of acoustic music - a piano, violin, ac. guitar, trombone, tenor saxophone, upright bass etc. must give the most natural sound possible. Small groups and solos reveal this best. Big orchestras and born-in-studio music are secondary. And because I can't change the recording, I must do my best with my diy-speakers and the setup in my room.

Kvalsvoll

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
AND NOW...SOME MEASUREMENTS...

Jukka Pätynen’s PhD thesis on “A virtual symphony orchestra for studies on concert hall acoustics” (https://aaltodoc.aalto.fi/bitstream.../isbn9789526042916.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y) contains some interesting charts (see below).

Pätynen and the Aalto University team set out to create a virtual orchestra, making instrument recordings in anechoic chamber to be played back in concert halls. Their main purpose was to study concert hall acoustics, but these figures - which show the power response of instruments and the played back power response of the same recorded instrument through a loudspeaker (a Genelec 1029A, https://www.genelec.com/support-technology/previous-models/1029a-studio-monitor) - are maybe of interest in this discussion, aren’t they?

My first reaction is: What is the source of different power responses between instrument and speaker? Why is it that the gap - the frequency response error - is downward sloping with higher frequencies in almost all cases.

In any case, this is documentation that the reproduction is not the same as the real instrument. And the systematic bias in the loudspeaker is fascinating. Such a big gap is undoubtedly audible.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 25463
View attachment 25464
View attachment 25465
View attachment 25466

This is a hopeless experiment that simply can not work, and this is why:

- The recording does not capture the sound emitted from the instrument, because the mic receives sound from one direction only, while the radiation pattern of the instrument will be highly frequency dependent and closer to omni in parts of the frequency band.
- The speaker does not have the same radiation pattern as the instrument, which will induce faults in emitted energy for different frequency bands and different frequency response from reflections.

To make this work, you need to measure the instruments from ALL angles, and the reproduce using a speaker with radiation pattern similar to that of the instrument. Which means one speaker for each particular instrument.

But this has no relevance to what we are trying to do at home - reproduce the recording of an event, a recording which includes the reflections form the concert hall. More or less successful, depending on the recording/production and the reproduction system - speakers/room.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for all the interesting replies.
It seems the majority here fall in to one of the categories I mentioned in my first post: It's impossible to recreate the real sound (including my particular focus on instrumental timbre), thus I don't expect it of a sound system so I don't care about that goal.
At least that last "therefore I don't expect it and don't seek that" is an inference. But surely, don't many people here care at all that a piano sounds like a piano? A sax like a sax? To *some* degree?

Oh, I think most of us do. It may just be a matter of degree. Now, the thing about degree is that the better it gets, the more you try to find small differences and you always seem to find them.

I know what you mean by "sounds right, just outside the room" - when my daughter plays her piano (about 2 meters away from the right speaker) and I am in the kitchen, the only way I can tell it is her and not the hi-fi system is playing is because of the quality of the execution (sadly for my daughter as you can imagine, I hope she never reads me). That obviously only works for simple stuff such as Einaudi's compositions. Home made recordings sound very real. Guitars, saxophones, voices, trumpets, cellos, etc... sound very well. There are some exceptionally well recorded small jazz ensembles that sound almost like the real thing, where even the individual components of the drum set are in the correct position, including height, and sound very believable. Also, I find that small imperfections, noises, scratches, clothes movements, discrete foot tapping, breathing, imperfect string attacks, a bit of saliva in the trumpet and all those kind of things contribute to that impression of real instruments and people.

Which brings us back to the recording. The upper verisimilitude limit is imposed by the loudspeaker, but it is very rarely reached imho. Even the careful, close-miked, natural solo piano classical recordings often don't fully deliver, they may pass the outside of the room test with flying colors, they may sound very nice in terms of timbre, color, etc... but then they would fail on width, often being too wide. I don't know about you, but I don't usually listen to a piano with my head suspended over it ;) Cello fares much better btw. But I guess it is a matter of taste.

Symphonic stuff doesn't fare well imho, even if you can reproduce the SPL and have very good imaging. Dr Bose wasn't totally wrong when he decided to focus on reflections in the 901s ;) Two front facing sources won't reproduce the concert hall imo. Opera, with a symphonic orchestra (or a near symphonic one) usually fares much better because the orchestra is in a pit.

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is a hopeless experiment that simply can not work, and this is why:

- The recording does not capture the sound emitted from the instrument, because the mic receives sound from one direction only, while the radiation pattern of the instrument will be highly frequency dependent and closer to omni in parts of the frequency band.
- The speaker does not have the same radiation pattern as the instrument, which will induce faults in emitted energy for different frequency bands and different frequency response from reflections.

To make this work, you need to measure the instruments from ALL angles, and the reproduce using a speaker with radiation pattern similar to that of the instrument. Which means one speaker for each particular instrument.

But this has no relevance to what we are trying to do at home - reproduce the recording of an event, a recording which includes the reflections form the concert hall. More or less successful, depending on the recording/production and the reproduction system - speakers/room.
I don't think this is quite right. You've ignored the listener in the above. The listener doesn't receive the pressure waves as they are emitted from an instrument, so trying to capture the pressure waves at all angles seems sensible but in reality wont reflect what the listener hears. You might get closer with a single instrument but even then this would only roughly match the event at certain frequencies. You need only superimpose a listen on a scaled polar response graph to see this and that will only account for one plane.
With multiple sources the problems are exacerbated. What you might measure and record at 1m will not be the same at 5m over time. Pressure waves from other instruments will combine with the source and of course, reflections and refractions set up in the envirnment.

Top Bottom