• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

kaka89

I hooked up my RME ADI-2 DAC to an ifi iPower 15V and it sounds thicker (better) than the stock power supply.

Stocked power supply: 12V/2A
iPower 15V: 15V/1.2A

(ADI-2 DAC requirement 9.5V - 15V, 1A+)

This result surprised me.

kaka89

I measured the frequency response of my speaker of the two power supplies.

Measurement was made 1M away from the right speaker.

The SPL is almost identical, but the phase and harmonic distortion show bigger different. I don't know how they translate to what I heard tho.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.11.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.11.31 PM.png
    123 KB · Views: 329
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.12.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.12.14 PM.png
    197.2 KB · Views: 267
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.16.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.16.49 PM.png
    271.7 KB · Views: 283
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.16.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.16.51 PM.png
    264.9 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

kaka89

Meade another measurement from the listening position, both channels.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.32.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.32.37 PM.png
    123.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.33.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.33.52 PM.png
    263.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.33.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.33.54 PM.png
    255.8 KB · Views: 173

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I measured the frequency response of my speaker of the two power supplies.

Measurement was made 1M away from the right speaker.

The SPL is almost identical, but the phase and harmonic distortion show bigger different. I don't know how they translate to what I heard tho.
Unfortunately an acoustic measurement will not show if the psu made any difference, which it almost certainly didn't.

sonci

Does the RME sound this bad? I noticed a lot of people change or try to change the power supply, I guess if you buy a 1k dac and start swaping boxes it means you don't like the sound,
It's a bit the same for the Chord people , even though manufacture still doesn't recommend any psu upgrade..

Yuno

Does the RME sound this bad? I noticed a lot of people change or try to change the power supply, I guess if you buy a 1k dac and start swaping boxes it means you don't like the sound,
It's a bit the same for the Chord people , even though manufacture still doesn't recommend any psu upgrade..

The more expensive something is, the more likely it is that people will try to change it.
Case in point, look at the entire custom cable business. People don't really drop money on cables for cheap headphones, but are very likely to spend hundreds on cables for their expensive headphones or speakers. Since it is obvious that manufacturer could not provide decent cable for their headphones, the audiophile crowd takes matter in their hands and figure out how to get the best sound out of their purchase.
In audiophile community, if something can be upgraded, it will be upgraded. Regardless of how much sense it makes, and whether it actually provides any actual benefit.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Forget about that... The RME sounds, works (and measures) great right out of the box.
Every "improvements" people seems to hear are nothing but placebo.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The reason why people want to "upgrade" their ADI-2 Dac is because it sounds good but no better than their former Topping D10.

kaka89

Unfortunately an acoustic measurement will not show if the psu made any difference, which it almost certainly didn't.
I was just trying to prove to my self that there is a *different* in sound, by comparing before and after.

I liked to believe power supply won't change the sound, but my recent experience tells me otherwise. I could be wrong. Trying to find some *objective* way to confirm what I am hearing.

kaka89

I didn't purchase the ifi power supply for the RME. It actually comes with the ifi Itube2 I recently bought, and its power supply happens to also work on RME, so I tried it and have positive result. I was not expecting changes in sound.

I love the RME, it is the only unit in my system that makes me forget about upgrading. (until now)

kaka89

Find someone to help you to perform double blind test with stock and aftermarket PSU.
Since the difference in measurement is so tiny, if I am able to pass a double-blind test would it make me a golden ear? :D

Double-blind test is a good idea. I don't think I can hear the difference in every song, but with a certain song and if I know what to hear for, I might able to tell. We will see.

Hybride

I liked to believe power supply won't change the sound, but my recent experience tells me otherwise. I could be wrong. Trying to find some *objective* way to confirm what I am hearing.

You are not wrong. The changes in sound you hear are probably also caused by dirty mains power. These distortions travels through any psu. Try good mains filtering and i think you will be surprised.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are not wrong. The changes in sound you hear are probably also caused by dirty mains power. These distortions travels through any psu. Try good mains filtering and i think you will be surprised.
If an engineer working for me designed a mains powered product and it needed some sort of external mains filter to work properly he would be looking for another job.
If the component needs mains filtering it should be in the component - obviously.
Incompetent fools always infuriate me.

DosThou

The reason why people want to "upgrade" their ADI-2 Dac is because it sounds good but no better than their former Topping D10.
So you're saying that objective measurements are useless since this DAC objectively measures better than D10. Got it.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

Jimmy

It's unlikely that the RME is supplied with an inferior power adapter, not at its price point, but for cheap products it's more common that you may think.

I've experienced it myself for example with the monoprice desktop headphone amp/dac, with the original psu more often than not the unit didn't power up with a flickering red led, and some distortion could be heard with low impedance headphones and certain music, replacing the wall wart fixed all the problems and improved the sound, who knows, maybe I had a defective unit.

Cheap chinese wall warts are often sold with fake specs, for example I tested a 12V 6A adapter that dropped the voltage to less than 9V with a 3A load, the 6A were probably a peak they measured before it bursted in flames.

When something seems too cheap to be true, sometimes is.

Top Bottom