• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Fellow Patreons & Members
I purchased the D50 finally and my only intention is it use it with a streamer (Chromecast Audio) and feed it into my Marantz Amp. I shall be receiving it today and will post my impressions soon. Many thanks for all the tips and tricks that were discussed.
Ven

MWC

@Kiko1974

I have experience with ripping SACD to iso to DSF/PCM (about 1000). From what you have said here, I think you may not have a hardware problem, although I personally would not use s/pdif for any DSD, even DoP, rather better to use USB. An audible click, at album start, can be present due to the way SACD iso is converted to DSF or PCM. Best to replace the 1st few sample with silence from nearby, to eliminate the click. I use tailor made batch files for this, but the freely available Sonore ISO2DSD seems capable.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Fellow Members
How to check the firmware version?
Regards
Ven

gorg

Fellow Members
How to check the firmware version?
Regards
Ven
Just look into Topping ASIO Control Panel:
asio.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
High frequencies are better controlled and add up to the phase, which makes it possible to more accurately determine the instruments in space.

How does the phase compare at the listening position?

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Just look into Topping ASIO Control Panel:
View attachment 25154
Many thanks. Mine is from a very recent batch with serial number 1907xxxx... From the firmware upgrade instructions it says not to bother beyond 1807xxxx... Would you recommend checking it? I have no intention of using it with my laptop.

gorg

Many thanks. Mine is from a very recent batch with serial number 1907xxxx... From the firmware upgrade instructions it says not to bother beyond 1807xxxx... Would you recommend checking it? I have no intention of using it with my laptop.

Latest official downloadable firmware version is 1.02, you have 1.03 at least. My opinion is: don't bother, listen to music ;)

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Latest official downloadable firmware version is 1.02, you have 1.03 at least. My opinion is: don't bother, listen to music ;)
Will do, thanks for the advice :)

Snafu

Might be answered here already, but isn't D50's 5V power connector/socket outside 5.5mm / inside 2.5mm ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Snafu

Ok, thanks.

edit: it is 5.5/2.1mm standard connector

Last edited:

confucius_zero

Comparative sound test of Topping D30 and D50
Thx for your impressions. At times, measurements need some real world feels test, this is music after all :)

Ollieyoda3

I just received my D50 today from Massdrop and I'm getting an error message when powering the unit on. I've tried updating drivers and firmware but I think the unit is dead and thus the computer does not recognize it. I can't get past the error message into the menu. Anyone have an idea?

Very disappointed in Topping's quality.
IMG_2139.jpg

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I just received my D50 today from Massdrop and I'm getting an error message when powering the unit on. I've tried updating drivers and firmware but I think the unit is dead and thus the computer does not recognize it. I can't get past the error message into the menu. Anyone have an idea?

Very disappointed in Topping's quality.View attachment 25209
Could you operate the unit at all? If so, try to factory reset this unit.
If it's dead, that could also be caused by shipping, humidity etc.
It's better to contact massdrop and topping as well.

lotse888

The fact that error messages were displayed suggested that the unit is "alive". Would you mind describing how you start up the DAC after connecting to the PC (?). You also mentioned that you "tried" to update the driver and firmware, what happened?

Ollieyoda3

Could you operate the unit at all? If so, try to factory reset this unit.
If it's dead, that could also be caused by shipping, humidity etc.
It's better to contact massdrop and topping as well.

I was able to get into the menu for like a minute or two and then got this error message. Once it came up it's inoperable. I reached out to MD and Topping. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to hard reset the unit.

Ollieyoda3

The fact that error messages were displayed suggested that the unit is "alive". Would you mind describing how you start up the DAC after connecting to the PC (?). You also mentioned that you "tried" to update the driver and firmware, what happened?

I have the USB data cable hooked up to my windows 10 computer. The DC cable is hooked up to an apple USB adapter. I saw the normal menu for about a minute and then got the error message. Once I got the error I tried updating the driver and firmware but the computer isn't recognizing the unit and thus, none of the updates actually occurred.

lotse888

That's very strange. Sounded like the DAC was working for a brief period of time, and then stopped. I guess only Topping would understand what the error message means. By the way, is there a special reason that you hooked up the DC cable to an Apple USB adapter instead of directly to a USB outlet on your PC?

Top Bottom