• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SugarCube from SweetVinyl to digitize/clean LP sound

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Anyone here have experience with the SugarCube from SweetVinyl:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/axpona-sweet-vinyl-sugar-cube.330/

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/sweetvinyl-sugarcube-sc-1/

I don’t get why vinyl aficionados would want to digitize — doesn’t that beat the whole purpose of analog.

..”.As I mentioned before, the SC-1 works using algorithms in the digital domain. It is not frequency based. That is why it is so effective in removing the clicks and pops with minimal impact on the actual music. Other vinyl noise reduction devices I have encountered have relied on identifying frequencies or bands where the clicks and pops occur and then attenuating those frequencies. The problem with that approach is, along with the clicks and pops, some of the music also gets attenuated...”

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
It’s interesting, but is really too expensive. It would mostly be of use on charity shop records, which I bought for pennies. If it were a couple of hundred quid, then maybe.
If you’ve read the thread about the attractions or otherwise of vinyl, I don’t recall many (any?) comments about the value of the purity of analogue. I’ve already got plenty of digitally mastered LPs, so I am not hung up about it.
I’ve also no problem about using DSP on vinyl, or using a digital phono stage like the new Linn Urika, if I had one.
Hey even Fremer likes it, if that indicates anything.

OP
DuxServit

DuxServit

Forum Donor
I’ve also no problem about using DSP on vinyl, or using a digital phono stage like the new Linn Urika, if I had one.
Hey even Fremer likes it, if that indicates anything.

Most of my LPs are first-pressings from the 80s and 90s. I listen using my old gear (Dual TT, into preamp, etc). No digital anywhere in the chain.

Honestly, I never thought of even trying to add DSP anywhere in the chain. (Got CDs and different gear for digital).

Hmm, must be a generational thing :)

Ceburaska

Forum Donor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most of my LPs are first-pressings from the 80s and 90s. I listen using my old gear (Dual TT, into preamp, etc). No digital anywhere in the chain.

Honestly, I never thought of even trying to add DSP anywhere in the chain. (Got CDs and different gear for digital).

Hmm, must be a generational thing :)
I use a digital RIAA stage, much better than an analogue one IME. The first had an inappropriate input impedance (a microphone preamp) but the promise and low noise was already there.
Now I use a Devialet amp and the phono stage is superb.

Top Bottom