• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

gypsygib

All, @Pavel

One dumb question does DX3Pro have DC protection circuit for headphone output? Thanks.

David

This is my only real concern, wouldn't be the end of the world if a $200 device is faulty but if it breaks the $1200 worth of equipment attached to it that would be terrible.

The stories of DX3 breaking people's headphones is unacceptable for any device.

gypsygib

Are you talking about the guy who fried his cheap earbuds months ago or has there been another case since?

There was a case of a person's speaker breaking and number people reported a very loud pop in the left/right headphone channel prior to shutdown. Although, from the number of shutdowns I've read about, these types of reports seem the exception not the norm.

peterq

@TP-Wong
My dx3 is a new batch, serial no is 1902XXXX. I found an issue of BT mode yesterday as that's the first time I was using BT. The screen shows resolution was 44.1Khz, and I heard relay clicking noise constantly even I didn't play anything. The output mode is DAC, is there any solution of this issue?

simonchretien

It's hilarious how some people keep whining about a $175 product. Imagine paying $175 for a dinner that you're not happy with...Do you go back to the restaurant every other day to whine about how bad the food taste??? If that happens to me, I'd stop going to that restaurant...that's all. It's totally pointless whining over $175. Many people pay much more than $175 for a meal...LOL.

Thats one of the dumbest posts I've seen here, good job !

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi anirm, you still have this unit? Would you test it again for -6db 1khz and 6khz thd+n spectrum of headphone output? I returned my su8 and dx3pro is the replacement. Thanks.
I do. Do you want the 6 kHz at -6 dB too?

wchens

1812 here too. Thanks Amirm for the effort and recommendation for this cute DAC/AMP
- Started using on 4/1/19,
- 5hrs per day usage
- No topping drivers are installed
- Using currently for connecting to my Audio Engine 2 only via RCA
- Turn off my dac/amp and power off after usage
- No Auto shutdown, standby mode encountered yet

Clicking issue happen only when I manually changed the sample rate

*****Update on 18 Mar 19******
- Few days ago I accidentally pressed the volume knob to switch from DAC to OPT (instead of powered off) and when I switch it back to DAC mode, the volume of my speakers suddenly went very loud.
- Encountered no sound on my right channel Audio Engine 2 sometimes but after I switch off and on DX3 pro, it seems to resolve the issue.
- Not too sure whether my DX3 pro or my Audio Engine 2 speakers are fried due to the sudden change in volume spike.

*****Update on 18 Apr 19******
-Yesterday, I encountered an issue where my DX3 pro was auto shut off by itself while I was listening to my Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80 ohms) playing games. I just on it back and everything is ok now.

q4x2

Hey All,

Just want to share my experience with Subj. I've tested 3 devices in a row 1901 and 2x1902, all three devices died in less than 100 hours.
Also last device successfully burned right channel in my Sony MDR-EX750, fortunately my Oppo PM-3 were not affected by that.
Be aware.

azxswq

Hey All,

Just want to share my experience with Subj. I've tested 3 devices in a row 1901 and 2x1902, all three devices died in less than 100 hours.
Also last device successfully burned right channel in my Sony MDR-EX750, fortunately my Oppo PM-3 were not affected by that.
Be aware.
This is just total lie.

I don't buy it.

This is getting ridiculous. I definitely don't work for Topping and this is the first Topping product I bought. I don't know why it is attacked by all the NEW MEMBERS so fiercely.

3 devices, who are you? Why would you be testing DX3 Pro?

q4x2

3 devices, who are you? Why would you be testing DX3 Pro?
I'm a regular person who use amazon prime membership advances.
This is just total lie.
Kinda silly statement.
Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 10.14.53.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 10.15.33.png

Third one was received as a compensation and already on the way to Topping Service in China for replacement.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hey All,

Be aware.
Gosh this is very unfortunate. Can you tell us more about your usage? Do you change headphones a lot? Do you pause the audio before doing so?

I have gotten mine to shut off on headphone insertion but no damage to DX3 Pro or the headphones.

q4x2

Can you tell us more about your usage? Do you change headphones a lot? Do you pause the audio before doing so?
Sure, that happened always while music is playing. First two devices came in standby mode from where I was unable to switch them on back again, last one first came into standby, hour or two later it started to turn on again but this time with only left channel and EX750, which were used to test that device this time, were ruined while I performed this procedure. For all three devices headphones was always plugged in and there were no changes till failure.
I'm was aware of possible issues with devices and because of that I did played music using devices continuously till failure of the devices, and as I've already mentioned it didn't took that long, less then 100 hours for every device.
I've also did the same with D30 and A10 - no issues for 200 hours.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks. I think the standby issue where it doesn't come out of that mode is being fixed and/or is released. One op-amp is shorts out and keeps the device from powering on. The one where it damages the headphone may be consequence of the same thing. Would have been great if you could have sent these back to Topping but I appreciate it is easier to just return them to Amazon. :)

peterq

Mine is still working properly, I should test it with whole day music playing. Will try this tomorrow.

e-pirate

Hi folks!
My DX3 Pro having a bad days.. Today it had a noticeable static discharge through left metal cup of my Beyerdynamics DT 1990. So left channel started buzzing and dropped in amplitude. Volume regulation work. Buzzing appear on the left channel every time headphone output is activated.
I took the unit home from work to make some brief tests with a scope and it came out that RCA output seems to be not affected. The headphone left channel is now biased approximately -1.2V while the waveform is still present.
I'm not very good at repairing things, especially without schematics, but it looks like this is just one side of an output transistor pair.
The first question I have is how to get the PCB out? I see 4 screws on the front panel PCB and 2 that hold the front panel itself. But I don't have any of the screwdrivers that long. How to disassemble the thing?
The second question is what part of the PCB is under suspect? OPA2140 and forward to the jack connector?

Yuno

Hi folks!
My DX3 Pro having a bad days.. Today it had a noticeable static discharge through left metal cup of my Beyerdynamics DT 1990. So left channel started buzzing and dropped in amplitude. Volume regulation work. Buzzing appear on the left channel every time headphone output is activated.
I took the unit home from work to make some brief tests with a scope and it came out that RCA output seems to be not affected. The headphone left channel is now biased approximately -1.2V while the waveform is still present.
I'm not very good at repairing things, especially without schematics, but it looks like this is just one side of an output transistor pair.
The first question I have is how to get the PCB out? I see 4 screws on the front panel PCB and 2 that hold the front panel itself. But I don't have any of the screwdrivers that long. How to disassemble the thing?
The second question is what part of the PCB is under suspect? OPA2140 and forward to the jack connector?

This is known problem by now. Opa is dead, don't bother fixing, just send back for warranty. In order to disassemble you need very long hex as you noticed, there is no workaround. You can glue some hex keys together I guess, if you have adhesive strong enough.

e-pirate

This is known problem by now. Opa is dead, don't bother fixing, just send back for warranty. In order to disassemble you need very long hex as you noticed, there is no workaround. You can glue some hex keys together I guess, if you have adhesive strong enough.
You mean OPA2140?
I bought it from AliExpress, should I bother the seller or contact TOPPING directly?
It could potentially be cheaper to fix that myself than sending it back to China, especially if it is just an OPA2140 and a couple of output transistors...

gypsygib

I'm a regular person who use amazon prime membership advances.

Kinda silly statement.

Third one was received as a compensation and already on the way to Topping Service in China for replacement.

Dammit, looks like I have to get rid of this thing. Not worth risking my $800CAN headphones. I doubt they'll replace your damaged headphone too...that should be grounds for a lawsuit. I really enjoyed the functionality and sound quality of this device but QC is probably the worst I've ever seen when it's actually breaking people's equipment. Don't think I'll be buying any Topping products again. No peace of mind.

peterq

TP should give some clear root cause about this issue.
I use a headphone amp instead of dx3 headphone port and it failed recently, output 2v dc without any protection.

Top Bottom