• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL M300

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a USB XMOS interface and Bluetooth LHDC receiver.
All connections other than USB are digital outs. Suppose it's meant to complement the SU-8 DAC.

What confuses me is why the SU-8 DAC which has an Xmos USB input needs an external XMOS USB Interface? What is the benefit/use case?

Veri

Master Contributor
What confuses me is why the SU-8 DAC which has an Xmos USB input needs an external XMOS USB Interface? What is the benefit/use case?
You could use that new device as a wireless streamer I guess. It can also upsample to 192Khz with a (cheap) AKM sample chip.
And they will probably tell you an additional digital converter will make the signal "cleaner" somehow :D

Jaimo

I’m curious if the B2 will make a good fit with the JBL LSR 708p speakers that gave an AES input. In other words a USB to AES converter.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I’m curious if the B2 will make a good fit with the JBL LSR 708p speakers that gave an AES input. In other words a USB to AES converter.

It sure looks capable of doing that. Perhaps it can take input over bluetooth from a mobile phone and output AES. Good luck with your 708's

GioF71

Forum Donor
A balanced dac in this price range seems something new to me. I was just thinking a few days ago that we might probably be expecting to see affordable balanced DACs in 2019. This unit seems to confirm the expectation, although it seems to be happening sooner than I was thinking.
I will be waiting to read an objective review on this forum!

maxxevv

Major Contributor
A balanced dac in this price range seems something new to me. I was just thinking a few days ago that we might probably be expecting to see affordable balanced DACs in 2019. This unit seems to confirm the expectation, although it seems to be happening sooner than I was thinking.
I will be waiting to read an objective review on this forum!

There's been one around these parts for a while. Go read the review on the SMSL SU-8.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
It looks the pre-sale is burning out very fast ...

1552832202930.png

GioF71

Forum Donor
There's been one around these parts for a while. Go read the review on the SMSL SU-8.

yes thanks I have read that review. But I was assuming this dac would cost a bit less than the SU-8, at least because it does not have an internal dc converter and does not have variable output. Apparently this is not the case, so yes you are totally right.
Anyway, good to see more cheap and hopefully well performing balanced dacs around.

Crane

Forum Donor
looks like beside the chip update from the SU8, it is missing an IR sensor and remote but that's about it minus measurements.

Crane

Forum Donor
@SMSL-Mandy i assume SMSL did measurements like the SU8 you mind sharing that here. Also, does it have a remote or sensor?

GioF71

Forum Donor
Hmm, Combination Micro USB/Power input. SMSL DACs with that have not done well in Amir's testing recently. There is no 2nd power USB, so perhaps they have fixed the problem.

Another interesting new SMSL Product, the B2. I have no idea what it does as there seems to be no analog outputs. Huawei Certified!(?!)

Besides what GGroch says, how does one use this dac with optical or coaxial when it is not connected to a PC or the PC is turned off?
Is a "Y" cable needed?

k3nb5t

Forum Donor

I have ordered this unit (SMSL B-2) for this exact purpose :) I'll report my findings when the slow boat from China arrives.

D

Deleted member 4360

A bit concerned however as when amir tested the Sanskrit 10, he found out that it performs terribly without external power. As we know, the Sanskrit 10 has the ability to be both connected to power and have USB input at the same time whereas the M300 does not (unless I'm missing something?).

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A bit concerned however as when amir tested the Sanskrit 10, he found out that it performs terribly without external power. As we know, the Sanskrit 10 has the ability to be both connected to power and have USB input at the same time whereas the M300 does not (unless I'm missing something?).
Apparently you can use USB as power input, but that way you're limited with only coax and optical as source.

Rem

Can't wait to see measurements on these. I barely can ever find a good variety of balanced DACs to choose from in this price range.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can't wait to see measurements on these. I barely can ever find a good variety of balanced DACs to choose from in this price range.
Yeah me too. I'm eyeing for some good sub-$250 balanced DAC but I can only find 4 to choose from; Grace SDAC, SMSL SU-8, Geshelli Labs ENOG2 PRO and this M300. Might pick this one if it performs well.

Top Bottom