• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shielded cables for 1more Triple Driver Over Ear

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi,

The unit differs from the one on your picture:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/dac-sans-volume/audiophonics-u-sabre-desktop-k2m-dac-ampli-casque-24bit96khz-sa9023-es9018-p-11911.html

There is a convenient volume control, that's why I bought it in the first place.

The other condition was to be plug-and-play, as it's for my office where I can't install anything myself if it has to modify Windows registry.

This version does seem to have 2 AD823 output opamps...
Those opamps have a max. load capacitance of 500pF and the ceramic tweeter is probably higher than that.
Depending on which output resistors the circuit has it could still potentially oscillate.
It looks like the Rout is supposed to be 23 Ohm (2x 47 Ohm per opamp as printed on the board).

In any case... the Triple driver OE may be a difficult load to some amps.
No idea how high the capacitance is.
Maybe use the other 2 headphones with this particular DAC ?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Ferrites ONLY do something against common mode currents and only well above the audible range.
Ferrites become more effective with 3 to 5 turns of the wire going through them but this isn't always possible.
Those ferrites are usually only applied if a design has to past RFI testing.
It should not affect the signal that passes through the cable at all.
If you have more ferrites it won't hurt to try.

Those 2 headphones don't have a highly capacitive load and that's probably why they play fine.

Perhaps not use that headphone on that DAC (unless through a suitable amplifier) and use other headphones ?

Last edited:
OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you advise me a plug & play DAC with headphones amplifier with volume control which would suit those phones then?
I keep my Magnat at home since they are my favorite, and the MX 365 aren't very good.

The two ferrites I used really helped. I'll try two more when I get to the office.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
One would have to try different DAC/amp combo's.
Can't say with any certainty that this or that DAC will work flawlessly with this particular headphone.
The capacitance of piezo speakers can be between 100nF and 1uF.
Not all output stages are happy to see such a load.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The constructor told me that the voltage output for that U-Sabre was 2.2 Vrms for a 32 ohm load.

It's not a DAC but... would a JDS Lab Atom Amp would suit better?

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The constructor told me that the voltage output for that U-Sabre was 2.2 Vrms for a 32 ohm load.

It's no a DAC but... would a JDS Lab Atom Amp would suit better?

I will attest that 50 mV to those headphones is already damn loud.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

It's not a DAC but... would a JDS Lab Atom Amp would suit better?

The (possible) problem here is not the output voltage but the capacitive load of the Triple HP MAY be too much for the used opamps.
Note that 9the majority of headphones out there will be driven without many problems as there are almost no headphones around with such a capacitive load.

You can use the DAC to feed the Atom.
It has an output stage that would be better suited than the used opamps in the U Sabre.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about pairing with Topping NX4 ?

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The line-output doubles as headphone out.
In the description (very, very cheap DAC) it says: minimal analog output scheme
It does look like the output of the DAC chip isn't going through any buffers at all (only through 10 Ohm resistors) which is asking for problems.

audiophonics-u-sabre-usb-dac-24bit96khz-sa9023-es9023-v22e-tcxo-edition.jpg

It would appear as though the Triple driver OE isn't a particular difficult load it seems (Tyll's measurements when IF was still interesting) but the high capacitance of the ceramic tweeter may well be problematic in this case.

1More_TrippleDriverOverEar_Photo_TDOEHFreqPhase.jpg
I didn't really notice it but now that I've been comparing the FR of many headphones, the FR of the 1more x3 Driver Over-ear is far from being flat. Perhaps when played at low volumes the bass boost makes it sound neutral though.

By the way, one of the reasons why I don't wanna give up on the U-sabre yet is that it has one of the best volume knobs around.
Great "marmor" feel, as convenient and solid as a rotary on a mixing table.
Plus the unit is heavy and won't move when you adjust volume.

audiophonics-u-sabre-desktop-usb-dac-ampli-casque-24bit96khz-sa9023es9023.jpg

Last edited:
OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Added two more ferrites on the USB cable.
Seems even better and empty of high pitched noise now,.

Top Bottom