• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

letsgoo

Because you have it in RCA+headphones mode (activated with middle button)

You have to set it to DAC mode (2 clicks on line out button), that will switch it to non-volume controlled RCA output, meaning it will play at 100% volume. In other modes there is no way to show sample rate at all times, and that would not even be reasonable in a DAC with digital volume control, since display is the only volume indicator. It only briefly shows sample rates when you actually switch them.

Thank you for the reply!
So the headphone blinking is gone, but the volume still decreases even there is the DAC sign. Am I doing something wrong? ^^;;
Ok, I clicked again and now it works. Thank you. So 2 times the double click... ^^

Did you have any possibility to check the 768Khz?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi, is there any possibility to check if this DSD really can handle with 768Khz and DSD512?
For D10, it was able to play with 384Khz over Windows(I know. It is not the real 384 but the signal anyway yes and I could check that D10 really works with 384Khz) but this one also can only play with 384Khz and not with 768Khz on Sound control panel.
Is there a new driver for windows which at least "simulates" as if i was using 768Khz?

Everything is working fine, I just want to check if it really handles with the promised sample rates.
You need to test it by pushing 768Khz over WASAPI or ASIO. Windows driver usually doesn't show above 384Khz in control panel.

letsgoo

You need to test it by pushing 768Khz over WASAPI or ASIO. Windows driver usually doesn't show above 384Khz in control panel.
Ok, so it is normal that windows panel does not show the 768khz.
Do you have any suggestion where I can get a sample file for 768khz? I am looking for it the whole time but only found 256DSD and some 350Khz files. ^^;;

Veri

Master Contributor
Ok, so it is normal that windows panel does not show the 768khz.
Do you have any suggestion where I can get a sample file for 768khz? I am looking for it the whole time but only found 256DSD and some 350Khz files. ^^;;
Foobar, SoX resampler, just type in 768000 and it will resample to that rate. Select 'very high quality'/best, and wasapi or asio output device.
Your device should receive it if capable. A driver is likely necessary.

letsgoo

Foobar, SoX resampler, just type in 768000 and it will resample to that rate. Select 'very high quality'/best, and wasapi or asio output device.
Your device should receive it if capable. A driver is likely necessary.
Thank you!!!!!!! Yeah, it works! :) Thank you! Such a easy way and I googled for many hours for a sample file... and couldn't find any.

letsgoo

Ok, now another problem. I got a DSD 256 file of a classical music and was able to play it.
But after 6, 7 minutes, suddenly I get the notification that there was a error and the device was not able to understand that signal.
Did anyone have a same experience? When I restart and move the timebar to that point, there's no problem and continues to play.

Veri

Master Contributor
Ok, now another problem. I got a DSD 256 file of a classical music and was able to play it.
But after 6, 7 minutes, suddenly I get the notification that there was a error and the device was not able to understand that signal.

Odd. Finnicky usb connection or power plug that wiggled the tiniest bit can cause such a thing, especially if your set-up makes it possible of touching the wires by accident.

Otherwise it might be your player that stuttered but even then I wouldn't expect a driver crash the likes you just experienced.

letsgoo

Odd. Finnicky usb connection or power plug that wiggled the tiniest bit can cause such a thing, especially if your set-up makes it possible of touching the wires by accident.

Otherwise it might be your player that stuttered but even then I wouldn't expect a driver crash the likes you just experienced.
Fine. It could be the cable cause I am using a "long" cable.
But it only happens on DSD256 file and not flac or mp3. ^^;
Thanks for the comment. I think no problem with the device. (I'm testing a few things so if there's a problem, I can claim it before claim period is gone.)

Last edited:

TiborG

Fine. It could be the cable cause I am using a "long" cable.
But it only happens on DSD256 file and not flac or mp3. ^^;
Thanks for the comment. I think no problem with the device. (I'm testing a few things so if there's a problem, I can claim it before claim period is gone.)

I'd check the processor's performance, enough to take over the resampling. I had already eaten it once before when it was resampled to DSD 256 using JRiver. DSD 64 and 128 processed smoothly - about 20% CPU load. The old computer can easily get on your knees

nathanm

Guys, has somebody noticed how much the 24bit/32bit format settings in the Topping USB Audio Device Control Panel affects the sound?
After many hours of critical listening, I can say for sure that with the default 32bit setting, the sound is round, kind of veiled, lacks bass extension and dynamic range. When set to 24bit, it is the exact opposite and better overall. In theory, this shouldn't affect the SQ in any way, but...
My setup and settings are: Windows 10 Pro -> USB -> iFi Audio iPurifier 3 -> Olimex USB isolator -> DX3Pro -> Sennheiser HD6XX, powered with iFi Audio iPower 15V power supply. Low Gain and PCM filter at F-4.
Amir, it is interesting if this can be backed by your measurements - the difference is very clearly audible to me.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Guys, has somebody noticed how much the 24bit/32bit format settings in the Topping USB Audio Device Control Panel affects the sound?
After many hours of critical listening, I can say for sure that with the default 32bit setting, the sound is round, kind of veiled, lacks bass extension and dynamic range. When set to 24bit, it is the exact opposite and better overall. In theory, this shouldn't affect the SQ in any way, but...

24-bit sounds juat a bit louder for me :rolleyes: which could explain 100% of what you're hearing.

nathanm

It is not only louder. Try to lower the volume and it will not be the same as 32bit.
For example listen to Eric Clapton Unplugged (Remastered) - the bass is much more extended and precise in 24-bit.
Note that with the stock PSU and without USB filtering it is less noticeable.

Veri

Master Contributor
It is not only louder. Try to lower the volume and it will not be the same as 32bit.
For example listen to Eric Clapton Unplugged (Remastered) - the bass is much more extended and precise in 24-bit.
Note that with the stock PSU and without USB filtering it is less noticeable.
Note this is not the kind of forum where publicising your personal non-verified, sighted and fallible personal experiences will be regarded as a 'truth'. There is absolutely zero proof upgrading your PSU, 'USB filtering'(what filter?) or bit depth will have a measurable effect on the DAC output. None. This is not head-fi where this kind of 'sounds much better!' circlejerk is applauded or encouraged....

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-you-need-linear-power-supply-for-dacs.7021/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-schiit-wyrd-usb-filter.5717/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-of-intona-usb-isolator-for-audio-dacs.2616/

david99

Today after more than week of using my new DX3 Pro from "new batch" I experienced unit going to standby on its own first time. After powering it back on it is again working fine. So there is still some work to be done on Topping side. Just note I have disabled USB automatic power on / power off.

david99

So update after few hours, my new DX3PRO died - again permanent standby issue. I lost confidence in quality and flawless design of this unit. This is already my second unit which broken exactly the same way. Contacted topping really interesting what they will respond.

david99

@Pavel what is your opinion in question of replacing OPA2140 to OPA1612 as you have done, will resolve my standby issue permanently? I'm really disapointed and starting my confidence in Topping products and their quality/design. I do not believe that I could receive two units which will from some reason have either bad batch or inappropriate processing of OP2140. Thanks for any inputs.

Pavel

@Pavel what is your opinion in question of replacing OPA2140 to OPA1612 as you have done, will resolve my standby issue permanently?
I can not answer you. Because I bought a DX3 for experiences. Now my copy is changed 70% of the factory design. OPA1612 worked well instead of OPA2140. But now NE5532 stands there and I don’t hear the difference.

Last edited:

david99

I can not answer you. Because I bought a DX3 for experiences. Now my copy is changed 70% of the factory design. OPA1612 worked well instead of OPA2140. But now NE5532 stands there and I don’t hear the difference.
What are you using as op amp instead of OP1612? Instead OPA2140 you have now NE5532 right?

Top Bottom