• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

jthj

So mine has stuck on 3 times already in as man days requiring firm tapping to turn it off. Does this get better or should I be contacting JDS?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So mine has stuck on 3 times already in as man days requiring firm tapping to turn it off. Does this get better or should I be contacting JDS?
Wait what? Does it ever turn off? Mine had lights on all the time.

jthj

Wait what? Does it ever turn off? Mine had lights on all the time.
Yes, if you turn the volume all the way down (almost 6 o’clock) it should turn off and the light should turn off. There is a second slightly delayed click after the click on the knob. If I understand correctly this is the relay that sticks. A firm tap on the top of the enclosure is recommended to unstick it.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yes, if you turn the volume all the way down (almost 6 o’clock) it should turn off and the light should turn off. There is a second slightly delayed click after the click on the knob. If I understand correctly this is the relay that sticks. A firm tap on the top of the enclosure is recommended to unstick it.
Well that doesn't matter anymore. Because the i modded it the day I got them. (i do remember it doesn't turn off before I modded it). I changed the volume pot, and shorted the pins for the switch.
And, I don't think it should matter to you tbh. It doesn't hurt if you leave it on all the time.

Gyroscopics

Got mine earlier this week. The Atom Amp doesn't get as warm as the Spark, so my D50 can sit on top now. Haven't tried it with my other DACs (D10, MODI-3) but it drives my headphones to adequate levels (6XX, 1060, etc.)

Attachments

• 20190328_114728 small.jpg
    20190328_114728 small.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 741
  • 20190310_133635.jpg
    20190310_133635.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 830
Ok folks i have a question for you guys. Should i go JDS Atom + Topping D10, Liquid Spark + Topping D10, SMSL 10th + either or Topping DX3 pro. OR any 100ish dollar dac plus either the JDS Atom or Liquid Spark.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Ok folks i have a question for you guys. Should i go JDS Atom + Topping D10, Liquid Spark + Topping D10, SMSL 10th + either or Topping DX3 pro. OR any 100ish dollar dac plus either the JDS Atom or Liquid Spark.
Depens on your headphones. If you have sensitive iem, go atom+d10 otherwise go dx3pro.

jthj

I’ve got an Atom + SDAC and that combo works well. I’m using with HD6XX.

Gyroscopics

In my experience, the Atom could play louder and cleaner than the Spark. Don't be afraid to push the Atom's volume past 12 o'clock in low gain mode, coz that's the optimal region when using high impedance HP such as my HD6XX.

I prefer using D50 with the Atom (opposed to my D10 and Modi3) because the D50 provides different PCM FIR modes. I use Mode 4 when listening to highly compressed Pop music to minimize harshness and tame the edgy sound. My Schiit Loki (EQ) cannot accomplish that feat.

Among the 3 Dacs, the Modi3 generates the most analytical sound (but I could also make the D50 sound similar using one of the modes). For that reason, I use the Modi3 on my 2 ch stereo system to maximize the performance of the Raal tweeters on my Philharmonic Audio BMR speakers (powered by NAD 375 BEE), but thats for another topic and forum.

Last edited:
The Sdac doesn't support that much at all and it is a ak4452 chip. The SMSL M100 seems a bit better in regards to that. Seems like they lowered the priced on the JDS Ol Dac so both optical and usb are 99 bucks. Might be lazy and go that route.

Nevermind, it says 99 when you selected it but when you add it to the cart it is still 140. Damn they almost got my money.

The SMSL Sanskrit 10th is also one of the Dacs i am looking at. Right now it is between the SMSL M100, SMSL Sanskrit 10th, Topping D10 or Just go Topping DX3 pro

jthj

I agree with the comment about the Atom volume in low gain. I also have an O2 + SDAC combo on my desk and with the HD6XX more of the volume range (knob travel) is useable on the Atom.

Get a hearing test

Wonder at what volumes do people listen cause i prefer low... I find windows volume bar at 8-10% if its modern master and 20-30% if it's a classical work thats quiet as hell.

jthj

I'm on a Mac and will set the system volume to 100% going to the DAC and adjust volume on the amp itself. I've had the O2 + SDAC longer and on that setup, in low gain, I'm usually in the 9-11 o'clock range. On the Atom it seems like the pot is configured a bit differently so maybe 10-12 o'clock is similar in overall level also on low gain.

I think I also listen at lower levels than the average person.

So i have decided to go Modi 3 and JDS Atom combo. Both are american made and the modi 3 seems pretty nice for the money.

jthj

Hopefully JDS comes out with a matching updated DAC for the Atom.

Top Bottom