• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PecanPi - Next Generation Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Distortion and current output into 12 ohm headphone load
All of the posted specs are good down to 16 ohm.

I currently don't have a way of testing 12 ohm load sorry. It should not be any different as the max output current would not change, see my post above.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Thanks for all info.

What do you mean "0.7488 - 2.51dB."

That's a range for what loads?
That means the maximum volume setting you would be able to use is -2.51dB. if you exceed that volume level you could potentially damage the board. That is why it would be best that I change the volume control to never exceed -2.51dB.

The posted specs are good from 16 ohm unto infinity.

Music1969

Major Contributor
That means the maximum volume setting you would be able to use is -2.51dB. if you exceed that volume level you could potentially damage the board. That is why it would be best that I change the volume control to never exceed -2.51dB.

The posted specs are good from 16 ohm unto infinity.

Understood, thanks for all the info.

Yes, good idea to limit the volume control.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @orchardaudio

I'm interested in PecanPi for my networked Roon listening but at my computer desktop I also like to connect via TOSLink to my Mac for CoreAudio sound (YouTube, Netflix etc).

Is there a compatible HAT that can be added to PecanPi stack, with a TOSlink input, that connects to the D-to-A circuitry of PecanPi?

I know a separate DAC/Amp can be used for Mac CoreAudio sound and I could just unplug headphones between amps but would love to avoid un-plugging and re-plugging headphone cable if possible.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Hi @orchardaudio

I'm interested in PecanPi for my networked Roon listening but at my computer desktop I also like to connect via TOSLink to my Mac for CoreAudio sound (YouTube, Netflix etc).

Is there a compatible HAT that can be added to PecanPi stack, with a TOSlink input, that connects to the D-to-A circuitry of PecanPi?

I know a separate DAC/Amp can be used for Mac CoreAudio sound and I could just unplug headphones between amps but would love to avoid un-plugging and re-plugging headphone cable if possible.

Unless somebody here knows otherwise. At this time there is not a way for the Pi to accept a toslink input and then send to PecanPi.

There are toslink hats a available but I dont think the software is there to do what you are asking.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Unless somebody here knows otherwise. At this time there is not a way for the Pi to accept a toslink input and then send to PecanPi.

There are toslink hats a available but I dont think the software is there to do what you are asking.

Noted.

There are HATs with TOSlink input but it's the 2nd thing you mention that's the problem (sending to PecanPi DAC board).

Maybe in future there will be a Pecan streaming DAC with a couple selectable SPDIF inputs (in addition to ethernet input)

Would be great in TV setup too - feeding TOSlink audio from TV. And then switch to ethernet input for music streaming.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I have had multiple questions regarding volume control on the unit.

The volume control can be either through the knob on the unit or through software when you control the device remotely.

The HW volume control on the unit (knob) will be better than to the SW one. Both will sound great.

Does the knob control the line-out our just the headphone jack? Is the HW volume analog or does it use the TI chip?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Does the knob control the line-out our just the headphone jack? Is the HW volume analog or does it use the TI chip?

The volume control is for all of the outputs.

The knob is HW digital volume control using the TI's SRC4193.

Daverz

Major Contributor
The volume control is for all of the outputs.

The knob is HW digital volume control using the TI's SRC4193.

This is more of a squeezelite question, but am I right that I can set up squeezelite to use this volume control and that this is the volume control that will be used when adjusting volume in a remove app like iPeng?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
The knob is HW volume control. It is separate from the sw volume control used remotely by squeezelite or any other app.

You can use the HW volume only, the SW volume only or a combination of the two.

My recommendation would be to set HW volume control to max (disabled) when using SW one.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Another great review: https://theaudiophileman.com/pecanpi-dac-streamer-review-orchard-audio/

"The PecanPi sits within an attractive price point and at that price it offers plenty: impressive sonic abilities being top of the list. Specifically, an attractive blend of dynamic force, rich imagery and layered detail. A bit of a bargain, then."

and

"I then played Looking for a Home, two guys and two guitars or, more accurately, Kevin Greeninger & Dayan Kai at 24bit/192kHz. The string manipulation from the guitars was impressive as was the silence sitting behind the pair: the contrast set up a soundstage heavy with emotion from this serious song. The sense of clarity was also excellent as the PecanPi took advantage of the superior sound source file while the imagery that set the singers and their instruments on the soundstage was excellent. Even the bass-infused foot stomps from the guys, keeping a beat, were easily heard here. The sense of tonal balance allowed me to increase the gain without having my ears bitten off."

and

"If anything, DSD output (despite the non-native processing) was the most impressive file output across the entire sound test as inherent noise was very low. Small and subtle details were able to flow easily from the rear of the mix and the 3D structure around the stereo image added layers and a busy, almost market square feel to the song which seemed packed with people and instruments. A party atmosphere, if you will. Harmonicas here, acoustic guitars there, an accordion, mandolin, 57 varieties of percussion but throughout the PecanPi allowed this detail to reach the ear unimpeded."

Music1969

Major Contributor
"If anything, DSD output (despite the non-native processing) was the most impressive file output across the entire sound test as inherent noise was very low.

But the DAC only supports PCM right?

So his software is converting DSD to PCM?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Last edited:
Top Bottom