• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some new stuff from Topping and SMSL.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Topping and SMSL showed some new stuff at CanJam Singapore.

From the recent well measuring products, believe many here on this forum would be interested I think.

Topping DX7 Pro.

20190330_142402_HDR~2.jpg

SMSL VMV D1 , D2 (R2R Ladder DAC), P2 Headphone Amplifier.

20190330_144039~2.jpg

Last edited:

deafenears

Forum Donor
Anything on the D50 matching P50 (LPS) and A50 (headamp)?

OP
maxxevv

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Some additional information on the D2 and P1.

The D2 is a 24-Bit R2R ladder DAC, that's to their own design. Its a parallel offering to the D1. Not a replacement. Pricing is actually more expensive than the D1 due to the R2R complexities as I was told. About US$1400+.

The P1 was designed as a match for the D1. But it won't be put into production anytime soon due to uncertain demand .

Addendum:

Great to have met @TP-Wong at the show, really happy to have had a little chat with him and gained some additional insight on the background work done at Topping with regards to their products from ASR forum feedback. And for him to have shared some additional information regarding their product releases coming soon.

The D70 is ready for release after a fair bit of refinements and tuning. Should see it in May.
There may be 2 flavours for the D70 it seems. One without and one with a BT 5.0 receiver which will be released a little later.

Also talked to the Matrix guys. Suggested that they should send one of their latest and greatest to @amirm for validation if they were confident of their product. Since the tests for Topping and SMSL have done so much good for their market exposure. : )

Last edited:

deafenears

Forum Donor
Also talked to the Matrix guys. Suggested that they should send one of their latest and greatest to @amirm for validation if they were confident of their product.
Oh yeah! Would love to see measurements for their X-Sabre Pro, especially after reading @derp1n 's review of it elsewhere.

Jimmy

An alternative to the D70 may be the new Aune S6 Pro that uses AK4497, but I don't know if it is fully balanced (probably not) and what headphone amplifier uses (the older S6 was TPA6120 based) :

http://en.auneaudio.com/index.php?s=Home/Article/detail/id/443.html

Sinad seems to be (according to their measurements) 107.70 dB

Anyway what catched my eye was the Topping DX7 Pro, curious to know if they have revamped the headphone amplifier, if it follows the path of the DX3 Pro in that regard, and price is right, it will be a very interesting product, they have even added a Sony style 2.5 mm TRRS balanced connector. If they add an additional analog input (like the X1S, for example) it could be an end game single unit for many people.

Was there a Topping D70?

OP
maxxevv

maxxevv

Major Contributor
An alternative to the D70 may be the new Aune S6 Pro that uses AK4497, but I don't know if it is fully balanced (probably not) and what headphone amplifier uses (the older S6 was TPA6120 based) :

http://en.auneaudio.com/index.php?s=Home/Article/detail/id/443.html

Sinad seems to be (according to their measurements) 107.70 dB

Anyway what catched my eye was the Topping DX7 Pro, curious to know if they have revamped the headphone amplifier, if it follows the path of the DX3 Pro in that regard, and price is right, it will be a very interesting product, they have even added a Sony style 2.5 mm TRRS balanced connector. If they add an additional analog input (like the X1S, for example) it could be an end game single unit for many people.

Its not clearly stated but the Aune S6 Pro is a single-AK4497 chip ( it seems from their specifications listing). The Topping D70 is going to be a Dual-AK4497 setup, somewhat analogous to their D50 with the twin ES9038Q2M chips. But a pure DAC like the D50, with no additional headphone outputs from it.

The DX7 Pro will be a cross between the DX7S and the DX3 Pro in terms of functions and features it seems. A balanced output circuit with XLR-4 and XLR-3 (as well as 2.5mm TRRS) like the DX7S and BT Receiver like the DX3 Pro. Pricing will be a little more than the DX7S supposedly but not fixed yet as its still about 3 months away from release.

If it performs as well as the DX7S and DX3Pro in terms of measurements and has inherited the strengths of both of these, it can really be an all-in-one end-game product for lots of people.

cjeong

Some additional information on the D2 and P1.

The D2 is a 24-Bit R2R ladder DAC, that's to their own design. Its a parallel offering to the D1. Not a replacement. Pricing is actually more expensive than the D1 due to the R2R complexities as I was told. About US$1400+.

The P1 was designed as a match for the D1. But it won't be put into production anytime soon due to uncertain demand .

Addendum:

Great to have met @TP-Wong at the show, really happy to have had a little chat with him and gained some additional insight on the background work done at Topping with regards to their products from ASR forum feedback. And for him to have shared some additional information regarding their product releases coming soon.

The D70 is ready for release after a fair bit of refinements and tuning. Should see it in May.
There may be 2 flavours for the D70 it seems. One without and one with a BT 5.0 receiver which will be released a little later.

Also talked to the Matrix guys. Suggested that they should send one of their latest and greatest to @amirm for validation if they were confident of their product. Since the tests for Topping and SMSL have done so much good for their market exposure. : )
Is there a Black color option for the D70?

OP
maxxevv

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Is there a Black color option for the D70?

I didn't ask. But the DX7 Pro came in both silver and black (as both were displayed there at their table), I would think its safe to assume likewise for the D70.

OP
maxxevv

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Oh ya, a little titbit from my chat with the Topping guys which I almost forgot about.

They are seriously working on the "ESS hump" as highlighted here on ASR.

So much so, even the ESS engineering guys have referred to the discussions here on ASR with regards to the issue.

@amirm and the rest of the guys "micro-scoping" the issue should be proud! :D

OP
maxxevv

maxxevv

Major Contributor
It was a result of the conversation regarding the delays in the D70 with @TP-Wong .

It was something along the lines of Topping being concerned about performance issues that may crop up post-analysis like the "ESS-hump" in so many ESS based products. So much so that they had referred it back to the ESS guys and those ESS guys there were actually looking at the discussions on the ESS-hump thread too! :D

Great to hear that both Topping and ESS were concerned with the engineering performance of their products and not just sitting back and acting nonchalant about it.

ceausuc

If it performs as well as the DX7S and DX3Pro in terms of measurements and has inherited the strengths of both of these, it can really be an all-in-one end-game product for lots of people.

Let's hope these dacs won't inherit also all the problems of the previous releases :) Especially considering that we are probably talking about 500$+ machines. I wish Topping would spend more time for QC as right now I don't think I would spend 500$ on anything made by them.

Top Bottom