• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
My subjective experience confirm Amirm comments and measures concerning audibility of the LPS.

Me, too. DX3 with sbooster, or with plain power supply. The difference is too small, it will sound the same.
0.00035% versus 0.0004% distortion is inaudible.

alashikata

This is a long thread ..lol...

Does anyone get loud hum noise using TB with Tube amp? I got no problem with SS amp with the same hook up. Other devices have no problem with TB until I connect the TB.

Veri

Master Contributor
This is a long thread ..lol...

Does anyone get loud hum noise using TB with Tube amp? I got no problem with SS amp with the same hook up. Other devices have no problem with TB until I connect the TB.
It's the amp probably

alashikata

I got 2 tubes amp. The integrate hum at 75% volume. The regular tube amp that connect with receiver got loud hum even at zero volume.
-Integrate tube amp + DAC = hum at 75%
-Integrate tube amp + receiver + DAC = hum at 75%
-SS amp + receiver + DAC = No hum even at max volume
-Regular tube amp + receiver + DAC = hum at zero volume
-Regular tube amp + receiver + CD + DVD + phono = no hum at all

I think it may have something to do with the DAC. Already updated to the latest FW

alashikata

The weird thing is only happen with the DAC, not CD, DVD, etc.....All wires and hook up are the same, so it's kinda hard to troubleshooting

milw50717

I am using a tube amp and no hum using either USB or coax (from a Raspberry Pi with a Hifiberry Digi+ HAT) feeding the KTB.

Troubleshooting hums. Fun. Remove all extraneous connections, so you have a bare minimum number of components in the chain. Then try swapping components in the chain to see if it makes any difference. Check/swap all cables. Make sure all connections are tight. I'm sure you know the drill.

Is your KTB cased ? If so, remove it from the case and see if the bare board has the same issue.

Last edited:

alashikata

Interesting, I will check again. But I did test with DAC only until hooked up other devices to realize it's only happen to the DAC.
My KTB is a bare board.

Dominique-T

Interesting, I will check again. But I did test with DAC only until hooked up other devices to realize it's only happen to the DAC.
My KTB is a bare board.
You can troublecheck by using a batterypack to supply power to the Khadas via the USB input and test the DAC by connecting it via SPDIF to your CD Drive...

alashikata

why ground loop while it has no problem with other amps? Good idea, I will look into external power to see if it helps since I had tested with 3 different laptops and PC.

unklez

Digital Coax output from USB dac connected to computer seems also to be susceptible to ground loop but optical isn't.

So cleanest way seems Computer optical out -> optical to digital coax converter -> khadas -> amp

I honestly dont know how many of yall are content with USB but each to it's own, if it sounds good to you ^^

My full setup is: Jriver -> Sonarworks Reference 4 -> Asus motherboard optical out -> optical digital coax converter -> Khadas tone amp -> Fiio K5 -> Sennheiser HD650.

Sounds godly this way, Im happy.

democles

No problem on tube amps ,must be a ground thing on your computer.

I am on testing 2 separate power supply,s with a lot of film capacitors,just have to do a few more days on it,but it is sounding nice and an upgrade to other linear power supply,s.

First i didn't think there was much to get ,but i maybe wrong after several days of listening.

Give it a week or 2 before i switch back to regular supply,s, so i know it is not the dac that is burning in and gives the better sound.

Attachments

• overkill.jpg
    overkill.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 324
  • voeding 2.jpg
    voeding 2.jpg
    803.5 KB · Views: 347
  • f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    658.6 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:

wizardofoz

I’m managing to run dsd512 native into my tone board with roon on Allo usbridge. While it’s only rated at dsd256 is anyone else able to achieve this?

Top Bottom