• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

An Enticing Marketing Story, Theory Without Measurement?

tomissoawesome

Forum Donor
So on what basis are we supposed to believe the theory that various companies' pursuit of room correction products merely represents a marketing opportunity for brands and an irrational escalation of commitment for engineers?

There is ample reason to distrust the audio industry when it comes to products intended to improve sound. And no doubt some room correction products are poorly executed. That said, until someone can come up with a better measurement regime than microphones, target curves, and double-blind tests, we're stuck with what we have. Namely, a downward tilted curve and a widely held belief that room correction/compensation/eq may contribute to improvement. As @Cosmik demonstrates, that still leaves room for skepticism, but it seems to be where the science is at.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
That said, until someone can come up with a better measurement regime than microphones, target curves, and double-blind tests, we're stuck with what we have.
(I am post-pub, so may regret posting...! :) But here goes...)
Microphones and laptops would be perfect as long as they were connected to a software model of human hearing (and possibly hardware implementation of micro head movements, etc.). But if you did this, it would merely tell you that the speaker should be flat (thereby not contradicting @svart-hvitt's observation that flat frequency response is crucial - it just depends what you are measuring), and that the room could not be 'corrected' by changing the signal to the speaker. It would show that the sound of the room could be changed through bricks, mortar, plasterboard, carpet, but that it was a secondary effect, because our brains 'read' the room and then incorporate it into what we are hearing.

A truly bad room sounds bad, and it cannot be improved by modifying the source - the solution is just to make the room literally better. Beyond that there is a broad swathe of rooms that are just 'normal' and you would be hard pressed to distinguish between any of them even if a mic and laptop showed significant differences in their dumb FFT measurements.

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The historic problem arose decades ago when people were making simple pink-noise/RTA steady-state in-room measurements with an omni mic. They incorrectly assumed that this one curve described sound quality, and applied the "flat is right" criterion to measurements that incorporated the direct sound and all following reflections from any angle at any time.

I see similar errored thinking in the headphone world for diffuse field "calibrated" headphones.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Dr. Toole says that for the same reason I explained: that you can't fix the room. I find however that if I don't use a term like Room EQ, the topic is not understood. It is a better version than Room Correction.

It's all very "convoluted"...

Ha, see what I did there?

I'm also available to host Bar Mitzvahs and weddings.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
A truly bad room sounds bad, and it cannot be improved by modifying the source - the solution is just to make the room literally better. Beyond that there is a broad swathe of rooms that are just 'normal' and you would be hard pressed to distinguish between any of them even if a mic and laptop showed significant differences in their dumb FFT measurements.

I think any acoustician would agree that physical room improvements are the best path for ultimate sound quality, but that's just not sellable to most recreational listeners.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Thing is as far as I recall it has always been considered that correction above schroeder is perilous. This is nothing new.

Your speaker has to behave itself and perform properly - period. However where you are unable to implement multiple subs, within limitations EQ is a valid way to deal with room modes. FWIW I always prefer a system that has had these modes dealt with by judicious use of EQ rather than letting it boom boom boom.

Having said that, automated systems are probably always going to make decisions and adjustments that are inappropriate.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Thing is as far as I recall it has always been the considered that correction above schroeder is perilous. This is nothing new.

I think all the big room correction vendors say the same, right?

BTW, having gone 50% deaf for 3 months, and then 80% deaf for another 3 months, and then having it surgically corrected back to normal, gave me an amazing anecdotal experience on the power of the brain.

Classic example: going deaf in one ear makes hearing conversations in noisy restaurants really really hard....and yet the background noise is super loud in subjective comparison to having 2 working ears.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I think all the big room correction vendors say the same, right?

BTW, having gone 50% deaf for 3 months, and then 80% deaaf for another 3 months, and then having it surgically corrected back to normal, gave me an amazing anecdotal experience on the power of the brain.

Classic example: going deaf in one ear makes hearing conversations in noisy restaurants really really hard....and yet the background noise is super loud in subjective comparison to having 2 working ears.

I think many still do some kind of full range correction, even if it's just changing the tilt.

Personally I find highly reverberant rooms very difficult to listen in. Confusing and fatiguing. Room EQ won't/can't fix that, you have to have appropriate amount of diffusion and absorption. It doesn't have to be proper acoustic treatments, normal room objects can be enough.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I think many still do some kind of full range correction, even if it's just changing the tilt.

Personally I find highly reverberant rooms very difficult to listen in. Confusing and fatiguing. Room EQ won't fix tgat, have to have appropriate amount of diffusion and absorption. It doesn't have to be proper acoustic treatments, normal room objects can be enough.

And pets.

My dog is a pretty good bass trap, while my cats are better at absorbing mids and highs.

Don Hills

... My dog is a pretty good bass trap, while my cats are better at absorbing mids and highs.

I guess you could put shelves on the wall in the first reflection positions, but how do you get the cats to stay on them?

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
You can correct what's minimum phase behavior. However, most of the room response is non minimum phase behavior. If you still correct the magnitude (amplitude EQ) of this, you end up introducing distortions in the transient response. The result is something that contradicts natural sound, which IMO is easily heard with so called room correction softwares. It simply doesn't sound natural or good. While the frequency response looks better, they are adding time/phase distortion. And you will also alter the power response of the speaker.

If one could compare removing some very early specular reflections with broadband absorption with room correction of the same window, this would be easily heard.
There's a reason why most of those who have worked much with acoustics simply don't experience a good or similar result with room correction softwares.

Floyd Toole

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
You can correct what's minimum phase behavior. However, most of the room response is non minimum phase behavior. If you still correct the magnitude (amplitude EQ) of this, you end up introducing distortions in the transient response. The result is something that contradicts natural sound, which IMO is easily heard with so called room correction softwares. It simply doesn't sound natural or good. While the frequency response looks better, they are adding time/phase distortion. And you will also alter the power response of the speaker.

If one could compare removing some very early specular reflections with broadband absorption with room correction of the same window, this would be easily heard.
There's a reason why most of those who have worked much with acoustics simply don't experience a good or similar result with room correction softwares.

Taking the non-minimum phase story to the next level, the underlying issue is that the mic and analyzer are showing what looks like a problem - the acoustical interference of the direct sound and a reflection. However, because the direct and reflected sounds arrive from different directions, which the mic cannot recognize, it is ignoring the reality that two ears and a brain can recognize the difference. What looks like possible audible coloration is interpreted by humans as simple, innocuous spaciousness - a.k.a. a room. Humans have considerable abilities to separate the timbral identities of a sound source from those added by a room. It happens in all live, unamplified, music performances and all conversations.

We have no measurement apparatus that performs as a living binaural hearing system,

DDF

Taking the non-minimum phase story to the next level, the underlying issue is that the mic and analyzer are showing what looks like a problem - the acoustical interference of the direct sound and a reflection. However, because the direct and reflected sounds arrive from different directions, which the mic cannot recognize, it is ignoring the reality that two ears and a brain can recognize the difference. What looks like possible audible coloration is interpreted by humans as simple, innocuous spaciousness - a.k.a. a room. Humans have considerable abilities to separate the timbral identities of a sound source from those added by a room. It happens in all live, unamplified, music performances and all conversations.

We have no measurement apparatus that performs as a living binaural hearing system,

I posted about this earlier in this thread as well. My interpretation of Dirac's white paper is that they ask for multiple measurements spread laterally, to differentiate the reflections from side vs those from front, and either ignore side reflections or give them less attention. If my read of their technique is correct, I think this is worthy of trialing

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
So what would you recommend, I used to use Dirac/Trinnov, when you first hear your room without boom it is a revelation, as I experimented more
I only used them for the bass, and currently just use EQ to slightly reduce any bass ( room mode ) peaks ,which seems to work well with the Kii/8Cs.
Keith

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my own limited experience to try to improve my sound in a very difficult room which is not dedicated to listening I have stumbled around room EQ some. I've recently added some new gear to the system so thought another round of measurements might be in order and after reading some posts here and other places thought I'd try some different tactics. I have a miniDSP 4x10 which allows for xo, delay, IIR and paraEQ but no FIR capabilities so it's a very manual process.

In the past I've always just measured the drivers at close distance and corrected them individually for flat within the frequency range they are to be implemented and then just added a room curve but armed with my new knowledge I decided I'd try to get multiple (17 locations) measurements and try to equalize the left and right channels individually as well as even out the bass. I merrily took my measurements into REW and averaged responses for the individual channels, looked for trends to adjust for and let it's auto EQ create multiple biquads which I loaded up and all the results were absolutely terrible and sucked all life from the music. Fortunately, the software allows for 4 different configurations so I could easily fall back on something decent...

I'm sure that these automated systems are far more sophisticated than anything I did or possibly could do with the limited tools at my disposal and I would probably even like it once tuned in. However, the most important thing I learned during that long day and evening of doing all these intensive repeated measurements was identifying most all of my room nodes and cancelations - things that I knew based on math, physics and countless book and forum reads magically appeared on graphs, plots and responses.

What did I learn? My equipment is just fine, there's nothing there I can do to improve the sound with hardware or magic dust. My next step is to treat the room as best I can. That $800 I was going to blow on a 8ch DAC to liberate myself from miniDSP limitations is going to go towards diffusers and bass absorbtion to improve the listening environment. Perhaps after that is done I will find I can improve things again with gear with marginally better SINAD and dynamic range but for now it's all lumber and insulation materials.

It's a lot more work than buying another toy but can't wait to start now to do something that will truly improve my listening....

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor

@Floyd Toole , thanks for taking part here. Your presence, contributions and guidance are much appreciated.

You wrote that «because the direct and reflected sounds arrive from different directions, which the mic cannot recognize, it is ignoring the reality that two ears and a brain can recognize the difference». You mention this point numerous times in your book («two ears and a brain») and in your 30-page 2015 JAES article. Interestingly, the DRC (digital room correction) authors are following a very different research paradigm. This is what (text in bold, italic, below) the author of Audiolense* wrote just recently (99 percent Google translation, but I think the message is quite understandable):

«I have already argued that there is no fundamental distinction between speaker correction and room correction, but I can repeat this here: When correcting the speaker and then placing it in the room, the speaker correction will also change the room contribution. It is exactly the same as when you correct the sound after the speaker is in place».

«Some skeptics are too concerned about the distinction between speaker correction and room correction. It is a starting point that leads the discussion into a dead end; What could be discussions of shades of differences, potential improvements and challenges of various kinds is reduced to a dogmatic debate of the basic battle: Earth is flat - no it is round.

An echo-free correction has exactly the same effects on reflected sound as a correction based on measurement in the listening position. The only fundamental difference is that you do not have control over the resulting sound .. It seems that some do not get this into their heads, even though it is quite straight forward to understand. It is believed that reflected sound is fundamentally different from other sound. Or you do not realize that reflections mix with direct sound that is a few ms fresher in a way that makes the two create the sound together - and at the same time. Perhaps one thinks that the reflections do not interfere with the direct sound. No matter what you think and believe here: In both cases, the sound signal entering the loudspeaker is changed and in both cases this has consequences for both direct and reflected sound.

The frequency correction in Audiolense has been almost hassle-free for over 10 years, both above and below the Schroeder frequency. I think the same can be said of the one in DRC and Acourate. I have views on how some of the competitors do, but we are talking about small things in relation to the fundamental and often uninformed objections that are highlighted. This works and it has worked for a long time. There is also a lot of research that is in touch with the full-range correction that shows that it works.
Relatively advanced FIR correction has now become widely used. Trinnov has algorithms that project phantom speakers in line with different multichannel standards, Google is on the path of audio correction that changes as the listener moves around, experimenting and researching new bass solutions using many basses to control the entire sound field in room. DBA, CABS, MIMO and others. And then we have a audio interested crowd that calls for evidence that the earth is round».

So it seems like the DRC experts are of the opinion that the content of the Toole 2015 JAES paper is of flat earth quality, and the DRC experts seem to think they are the ones that are driving audio science forward.

It is this gap between for example Toole and the DRC experts - as if they belonged to different tribes - that I find interesting. We have two different research programs crashing here, haven’t we?

Though I have a balanced view on DRC myself (I use DRC), the following words popularized by Carl Sagan come to mind:

«Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence».

It is the DRC crowd that claims a new leading role in audio science, so it would be natural that the contenders come up with the new evidence, right? Intererestingly, the DRC experts use mathematics and microphone measurements as evidence, or «observations» as Freeman Dyson called it. Why haven’t we seen more than one - 1 - competently managed blind test on DRC in the 20 plus years during which the DRC models have been improved upon?

*I asked the Audiolense author to join this dicussion on ASR but he declined («not interested») and wanted to stay on the other forum where the «tribe» seems to be more in favour of his thoughts. So there seems to be a «tribe» factor in this fascinating debate.

Last edited:
OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
So what would you recommend, I used to use Dirac/Trinnov, when you first hear your room without boom it is a revelation, as I experimented more
I only used them for the bass, and currently just use EQ to slightly reduce any bass ( room mode ) peaks ,which seems to work well with the Kii/8Cs.
Keith

@Keith, nobody (or very few?) questions DRC under Schroeder. So using DRC to kill boom (more precise: take away peaks) seems to be uncontroversial.

Last edited:
Top Bottom