• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

david99

Yes although there is some language barrier on interpreting what they are saying. :)
I received it is either bad batch or wrong processing for OPA so I was also supposing there is possible that not careful handling/soldering could be meant by processing so makes sense for me. Your info is pointing only to particular OPA2140 nothing else was found as problematic?

If that really is the case, I guess some owners of faulty units will try to fix this themselves. Is there a higher performing chip that would work as a direct replacement for the OPA2140?
OPA1612. If you want fet input, then OPA1642. The LMEseries are very good too.

kukocz

Forum Donor
Hello all,

Today is sad Saturday. Right channel in headphone out of my DX3 Pro is dead. Here's the story...
I've been using DX3 Pro mainly as a preamp for my amplifier (usign RCA output). Headphone output was used rarely. Today I wanted to test headphone output (to check if there is the difference between the RCA) and during these tests suddenly a pop sound in right channel appeard. RCA output was (and still) working well but a pop is hearable when source or sample rate is changed (every time a relay pops, a loud pop is coming from right channel).
I left device without power for a while, restored to defaults and even re-flashed - nothing helped. Then I connected headphones to check if the same click sound is hearable in right channel. It turned out that the right channel for the headphones output is dead. In addition, every time I plug headphones to the jack - DX3 Pro is restarting. Production date of mine is 1808.

I'm really dissapointed. I bought mine in Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store on Aliexpress. Has anyone got a refund (a new unit) from Topping or Aliexpress seller? I'm not sure to whom I should contact first.
Here the video showing my problem:

Aliexpress seller wants to send the device back but shipping costs could be quite high. I'm also waiting for Topping's feedback if there is any other solution possible.

Walkerboh

Does this mean that if your unit has had an unintentional shutoff even once that the OPA2140 is faulty and could lead to major malfunction in the future?

kukocz

Forum Donor
Does this mean that if your unit has had an unintentional shutoff even once that the OPA2140 is faulty and could lead to major malfunction in the future?
I really would like to know that. Only Topping knows the answer, if at all :)

Yuno

I really would like to know that. Only Topping knows the answer, if at all :)

Assuming they actually know what is going on. Frankly I'm not convinced of anything I read here. They changed opamps and tested units for 100+ hours, which is supposed to be remedy for all the issues we have. My unit didn't even experience any failures for a pretty long time, I first reported shutdowns here in January and had dx3 pro since end of November. I never had any apparent problems with opamp itself, just "harmless" shutdowns. The frequency of those shutdowns being every few weeks doesn't help too.

The more this goes on the more I feel like going back to aune x1s and refunding dx3, even though I'm in love with digital volume control now. I'm starting to lose faith in the design of this device. I hope we will get actual explanation that will change my mind.

aka_Z

Based on what I understand, it is the soldering of the parts that resulted in this failing. So the fix is more care in manufacturing and not a design issue.

Well, that's bad because working device may fail any time. As I'm using it as DAC/pre-amp only, for me, would be better if is design issue and related to the headphone output/low impedance headphones. Now I cannot do anything except wait for device to fail one day.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here the video showing my problem:
That looks like the act of plugging in the headphone jack causes a short and hence the reboot. I know it is costly but sending units like this back are important for them to find out what is wrong.

kukocz

Forum Donor
Assuming they actually know what is going on. Frankly I'm not convinced of anything I read here. They changed opamps and tested units for 100+ hours, which is supposed to be remedy for all the issues we have. My unit didn't even experience any failures for a pretty long time, I first reported shutdowns here in January and had dx3 pro since end of November. I never had any apparent problems with opamp itself, just "harmless" shutdowns. The frequency of those shutdowns being every few weeks doesn't help too.

The more this goes on the more I feel like going back to aune x1s and refunding dx3, even though I'm in love with digital volume control now. I'm starting to lose faith in the design of this device. I hope we will get actual explanation that will change my mind.

My unit was working flawlessly since end of November too. I also really like digital volume control (including physical knob and remote control). I'm wondering if there is any alternative with similar functionality in 250$ range (headphones amp could be excluded for me). BT, USB, optical and two coax inputs are very useful, and nice big retro display (I really appreciate it, as I can keep eye on current volume level/sample rate).

Well, that's bad because working device may fail any time. As I'm using it as DAC/pre-amp only, for me, would be better if is design issue and related to the headphone output/low impedance headphones. Now I cannot do anything except wait for device to fail one day.
I'm also using it mainly as preamp (all inputs are in use), and it was working without any problems until I tested headphone output. I tested it first when device arrived and had no issues. In the meantime I tested some headphones occasionally, and on last Saturday it stopped working definitely.

That looks like the act of plugging in the headphone jack causes a short and hence the reboot. I know it is costly but sending units like this back are important for them to find out what is wrong.

I need to estimate exact shipping costs but probably I'll send it back anyway. For now this dac lost it's functionality and became dangerous for speakers (working as a preamp).

azxswq

2 Weeks now...

Bought it for $179 on Massdrop.

Using Monolith 1060, Senn 580, 6XX, power monitors.

Low Gain is perfectly able to drive them all. No problem at all. 1901-series. (I can't go past -10 db on low gain, too loud.)
Came with v1.04 using driver 4.47.0 under Windows 10.
Best purchase this year.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This made all the difference. I'm a really happy listener again :)
A bit crude, but otherwise a good first attempt. Most people tend to forget about adjusting the preamp, so good job on that, too.
HD 58X have excessive energy around 200 Hz and your EQ profile adds even more, unfortunately.
You can try my settings, attached to this post, if you like. Keep in mind that my profile has ~4.5 dB less at 1 kHz than your own, in case you want to do an A/B comparison.
If you want more feedback, you should probably PM me since this is a bit off-topic.

Attachments

• HD58X DX3 flipflop.zip
    1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

I tested the DX3Pro for a week with Ubuntu Linux, with various players. Finally is the sound I wanted. There is no more lack of mid-bass, no more strange distortion on a small signal level. I do not know what happening with the Windows 10 drivers but at least in my case, the music is not what it should be. For me, Linux Ubuntu 18.04 is much much better than Windows 10.

la2ygoo

Forum Donor
I tested the DX3Pro for a week with Ubuntu Linux, with various players. Finally is the sound I wanted. There is no more lack of mid-bass, no more strange distortion on a small signal level. I do not know what happening with the Windows 10 drivers but at least in my case, the music is not what it should be. For me, Linux Ubuntu 18.04 is much much better than Windows 10.

QQ截图20190323001307.png

In Windows 10 , If don't tick here, it will sound lack of bass to me.(Some dacs don't have this option,will not sound lack of bass)
but i run rmaa test , Frequency response is straight, no matter whether it is ticked or not.
i don't know why.o_O
Maybe psychological impact.

Last edited:

View attachment 23953

In Windows 10 , If don't tick here, it will sound lack of bass to me.(Some dacs don't have this option,will not sound lack of bass)
but i run rmaa test , Frequency response is straight, no matter whether it is ticked or not.
i don't know why.o_O
Maybe psychological impact.

Very interesting but can you tell me what is the english name of that button ?

agjell

Forum Donor
Unticking that box will enable a high pass filter for the respective speakers. I can't find information on exactly what frequency, but in surround setups with small speakers it is common to route anything below 80 Hz to the LFE channel (subwoofer). So it makes sense that you lose bass by leaving that box unticked.
win10_speaker_config.PNG

Last edited:

Pavel

Unticking that box will enable a high pass filter for the respective speakers. I can't find information on exactly what frequency, but in surround setups with small speakers it is common to route anything below 80 Hz to the LFE channel (subwoofer). So it makes sense that you lose bass by leaving that box unticked.
Use ASIO mode and you will not have these problems.

Top Bottom