• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal master quality wireless?

Webninja

Forum Donor
Wouldn't the Bluetooth limit the bandwidth? I believe Tidal losless streams at 1411kbps, and I don't think any current Bluetooth flavor goes that high.

Jaimo

Looks like Aptx is being superseded by something called LHDC. Check out the SMSL B2. You may need a "Waweee" phone however.

OP
O

Oukkidoukki

Ok, yes that smsl might be good even though expensive...........would be fun to know how close it gets to cable set up. Maybe someone will test one day?

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was going to start a thread about this, but I'll pile on to this one.

I am exploring upping my streaming game. Currently Tidal Hi-fi via iPad Airplay > Apple tv (older gen with optical out) > amp with DAC (Cambridge Audio CXA60). All streaming, no stored files or discs.

Are there streaming improvements to be had for a reasonable cost (under $250 USD)?

From what I understand, Airplay is limited to 48khz. There is debate about the audibility of higher rez files vs good old 16/44, but I'd like to be able to test Tidal Masters myself. It sounds really good now, but is this a mixing/mastering difference? Also, optical cables are known to be susceptable to jitter, so maybe a dig coax out would be better. Not advocating for MQA, but would there be a benefit to being able to unfold the entire MQA stream since Tidal already has it?

I'd appreciate some opinions - surely no one here has any opinions on this?

I was looking at the Digione player from Allo. Could I could stream hi-rez files to this from my iPad? Seems it works well as a Roon endpoint, but what about directly from Tidal via iPad?
I also have a Chromecast Audio, which Amir proved is bit perfect with Roon. What about directly from Tidal via Ipad?
Am I just splitting hairs here and looking to make improvements that will likely not even be audible?

Lots of questions here, would appreciate answers to any. I think as streaming technology continues to improve, more and more will just move to 100% streaming to be used in their main rig, so this line of questions may be of interest to many.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Eurasian

Forum Donor
My Essential PH-1 (Android) streams Tidal 24/96 to an EarStudio Radsone ES100 via Bluetooth to my Audi's audio system (at least that is what it says it is receiving, but maybe it or my phone changes the sample-rate?). It works great and the little box has many eq options. I haven't tried it in my home system, but noise and volume with my AKG IEMs wasn't an issue. It also hasn't dropped a connection even once. Awesome $100 device that uses an AK4375A. It even has 2.5mm balanced output!

Snafu

searched latest tidal thread to ask :

does your tidal play gapless ?

they had gapless play issues earlier but it was fixed and now it looks like gapless play is gone again :rolleyes:

Willem

Major Contributor
Using bluetooth of any flavour to stream 24/96 or similarly high resolution files does not seem to make any sense to me. My best bet would be a Chromecast Audio (capable of 24/96) using its digital output. Yes, its optical output is somewhat jittery, but a good DAC should deal with that. It does presuppose wifi, of course.

Sheriff1972

Forum Donor
I will have a play with my Shield TV and see if I can get that to work as a Tidal front end. Whilst not wireless, still convenient for me

Top Bottom