• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power cable tech talk and a little help for Amir at Audio Science Review

Leif

GR Research just posted a video providing some helpful information for Amir:

Make aure you turn down the sensitivity of your BS detectors before watching, otherwise you’ll be deafened by the din. I don’t want to be sued for hearing loss.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh my. This can't end well :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Evidently, all the GR Research smack talk is richly deserved.

OP
L

Leif

Evidently, all the GR Research smack talk is richly deserved.
A few days back I got into an argument with Danny in the comments section of a video. He claims the Kef LS50 Metas are mediocre, and even his cheapest kits are far better. I pointed out the Little Giant Killers review here, which concluded that it is an abysmal speaker. He said Amir doesn’t know how to do measurements.

I‘m surprised there isn’t more online fighting given that many people‘s livelihoods depend on convincing people that sound improvements come from expensive mains cables, speaker cables, cable risers and other nonsense.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A few days back I got into an argument with Danny in the comments section of a video. He claims the Kef LS50 Metas are mediocre, and even his cheapest kits are far better. I pointed out the Little Giant Killers review here, which concluded that it is an abysmal speaker. He said Amir doesn’t know how to do measurements.

I‘m surprised there isn’t more online fighting given that many people‘s livelihoods depend on convincing people that sound improvements come from expensive mains cables, speaker cables, cable risers and other nonsense.
I think the sad fact is that for the most part, the snake oil devotees simply ignore us. We're dismissed as tone-deaf engineers that don't even listen to equipment.

Hatto

Those guys to the left...
Flat earthers...

Although I appreciate the effort to defend his turf rather than hiding under a rock, it was a pain and a struggle trying to listen to it till the very end.

The red line and green line presented as "noise" is not isolated electrical noise, but the actual physical noise of the environment and a power cable can do nothing about it! You can literally hear a fan working in the background, sheesh!

He does everythig except objectively demonstrating reduced noise levels through use of his own products. Which is the first and the ONLY thing that needs to be done, it's that simple.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect he's just going through the motions so his dimmer viewers can feel like he proved something.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me get a bucket of popcorn
1667647575961.gif

OP
L

Leif

I suspect he's just going through the motions so his dimmer viewers can feel like he proved something.
I posted a comment on a video by someone who is a slightly well known audio reviewer. I asked him if he done double blind testing to check his observations. He said noone buys gear by doing DBTs. I asked how he could be sure he was right. He said he knew what he heard. In this case I don’t doubt his integrity and decency, but I do think that at best he lacks curiosity, and at worst he’s not very bright.

Hatto

I posted a comment on a video by someone who is a slightly well known audio reviewer. I asked him if he done double blind testing to check his observations. He said noone buys gear by doing DBTs. I asked how he could be sure he was right. He said he knew what he heard. In this case I don’t doubt his integrity and decency, but I do think that at best he lacks curiosity, and at worst he’s not very bright.
Well, if he's making money over claims he's not 100% certain, you can (and you should) doubt his integrity and decency.

OP
L

Leif

Well, if he's making money over claims he's not 100% certain, you can (and you should) doubt his integrity and decency.
Oh he is 100% certain, it’s just he has no interest in verifying his assessments. Someone can be honest and decent, but misguided or wrong. Such people don’t understand that placebo effects are real.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The whole point is that plenty of people buy stuff based on reviews. And they generally read or view them based on entertainment value. So that means that the reviewer has no real incentive to give objective data. In fact the goal is to sell the product, and the review is the marketing vehicle. Anything goes to make that happen.

Andysu

Major Contributor
i just saw this on google and presently watching listening and agreeing that , maybe some bs their way in collage so they can wave a certificate around that cost them $$$$$$ years and $1 a4 with it signed , me i have 0 degree 0 nothing gained from school , yet i can speak english and not so good handwriting but so what ,

i use the sniffer device it picks up all types of signal noise emi noise mains not so much on the CB radio that did surprise me , i must have tested around the home and the home is the worst emi mains offender , i take the sniffer outdoors and wow there is so less noise unless i go near street lights or anything that is , but generally its lot quieter

the sniffer when pointed at my phone , three sounds i heard and can be connected to RTA FFT

Andysu

Major Contributor
I wouldn’t eat that, it’s from 2015
lol
i looked for 2015 and couldn't be asked to take new picture with DLSR or even smart phone but i see your ice 2015 point would taste a bit stale

Top Bottom