• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

We all know, Amir gets the most likes. But who received the most likes from Amir?

We all know, Amir gets the most likes. But who received the most likes from Amir?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dasdoing

Major Contributor
As a person who has gotten most likes, I can tell you that I have not written a single post to get likes. And I don't think anyone else is either.

The purpose of a like is to show agreement instead of posting a "+1" or "I agree with that" like we used to do with forum software that didn't have such a feature.

Yes, it is also a reward system but after the fact. I sometime see a lot of likes for something I wrote much later, giving me a feeling that it resonated with the people.

Key here is that having more likes doesn't get you anything. No new privileges, no indication that you are more right than someone else, etc.

In that sense, I think a thread like this creates some bad feelings as much as I like having the data that it shows. It makes people think if they don't have as many likes, there may be something wrong with their contributions. In reality if you post a lot, you will get more likes. Such is the case with me. So let's not judge the darn thing. It just a quick way to say "I agree." or "thank you."

well, you're in a unique position, aren't you? It's clear that you don't share your measurements solely for the purpose of garnering likes. And these measurements undeniably attract attention, much like magnets.

By the way, the posts I made in this topic are not emotionally driven. I'm simply engaging in an exchange of thoughts here. I genuinely don't care. The only thing I sometimes feel is that likes can provide more feedback on subsequent posts. Let's say two people write the same post, one being from a popular person and the other not. The reaction will be different. But I could be imagining things here, or this effect could indeed exist but its influence is rather small. Anyway, I agree and thank you.

D

Deleted member 48726

well, you're in a unique position, aren't you? It's clear that you don't share your measurements solely for the purpose of garnering likes. And these measurements undeniably attract attention, much like magnets.

By the way, the posts I made in this topic are not emotionally driven. I'm simply engaging in an exchange of thoughts here. I genuinely don't care. The only thing I sometimes feel is that likes can provide more feedback on subsequent posts. Let's say two people write the same post, one being from a popular person and the other not. The reaction will be different. But I could be imagining things here, or this effect could indeed exist but its influence is rather small. Anyway, I agree and thank you.
You are overthinking it a bit, IMO. I haven't noticed what you describe but haven't been looking either. I "like" to acknowledge or agree (not the same) without posting. Just like Amir wrote the intention was.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
As a person who has gotten most likes, I can tell you that I have not written a single post to get likes. And I don't think anyone else is either.

The purpose of a like is to show agreement instead of posting a "+1" or "I agree with that" like we used to do with forum software that didn't have such a feature.

Yes, it is also a reward system but after the fact. I sometime see a lot of likes for something I wrote much later, giving me a feeling that it resonated with the people.

Key here is that having more likes doesn't get you anything. No new privileges, no indication that you are more right than someone else, etc.

In that sense, I think a thread like this creates some bad feelings as much as I like having the data that it shows. It makes people think if they don't have as many likes, there may be something wrong with their contributions. In reality if you post a lot, you will get more likes. Such is the case with me. So let's not judge the darn thing. It just a quick way to say "I agree." or "thank you."
It's that whole social media psychology (or is it sociology?) thing -- we :cool: push a little button to get a response, be it a reply, a "like", or a "badge". Push button, collect endorphin prize. :(
1685103235274.png

b07fa410908a457a2a35a0deac663958.jpg

Last edited:

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buchholz_system

One thing to calculate could be the likes that people that has given likes to you have (not the best sentence in the world...). That is, to measure to which degree your likes come from "liked" people. Of course because the same person can give you many likes some kind of normalization would be appropriate. Or perhaps just multiply and sum and then normalize the resulting number with a some sigmoid or something like that.

Perhaps if the goal is to come up with some kind of reputation score, few likes from different people should be favored in front of many likes from few people, perhaps making the multiplying factor for each person that has given you more than one like decaying, like 1/n for instance, meaning that the first like weights 1, the second, 0.5, etc.

Last edited:

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
The problem with likes is that they foster tribalism and high-fiving one’s camp and line of thought. This is the direct opposite you want in a forum dedicated to learning, inquiry and open-mindedness. Likes should be reserved for things that are funny or poignant, not for things one agrees with.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with likes is that they foster tribalism and high-fiving one’s camp and line of thought. This is the direct opposite you want in a forum dedicated to learning, inquiry and open-mindedness. Likes should be reserved for things that are funny or poignant, not for things one agrees with.
Then... not sure what it means if I like your comment... so I don't

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, no.

I get the fostering of tribalism to some extent. Yet I don't think likes would be best reserved for funny or poignant things. Some of the best likes in my opinion are when someone has gone the extra mile to explain something to someone or figure out a problem someone was puzzled by. Neither of those are fostering tribalism yet using your guidelines would not get a like. Then there are posts where someone has dug up info on older gear for someone with questions about it. Those are deserving of likes and do not foster tribalism.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Ah, no.

I get the fostering of tribalism to some extent. Yet I don't think likes would be best reserved for funny or poignant things. Some of the best likes in my opinion are when someone has gone the extra mile to explain something to someone or figure out a problem someone was puzzled by. Neither of those are fostering tribalism yet using your guidelines would not get a like. Then there are posts where someone has dug up info on older gear for someone with questions about it. Those are deserving of likes and do not foster tribalism.

You’re right of course. The biggest credit should go to those who put actual effort into their posts, present research they’ve done, or measurements, or experiments. Or just thought something through in great depth. Or spell-checked their posts ;)

Slashdot had qualifiers for karma points, like 4/Funny or 5/Insightful. I liked that.

D

Deleted member 48726

You’re right of course. The biggest credit should go to those who put actual effort into their posts, present research they’ve done, or measurements, or experiments. Or just thought something through in great depth. Or spell-checked their posts ;)

Slashdot had qualifiers for karma points, like 4/Funny or 5/Insightful. I liked that.
Something like adult-facebook (LinkedIn)?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to see data/stats on ASR factoids; such as total 'bans', most 'banned', 'mutes', 'ignores', and 'Report' button usage.:rolleyes:

dasdoing

Major Contributor

Exactly, I expressed a similar sentiment earlier.

Although I comprehend Amir's intention behind implementing the like system (as he explained earlier), I can't help but wonder what's wrong with simply replying to express gratitude. Just a thought.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Identifying Top Users on the “Audio Science Review” Website​

Everyone knows that Amir gets the most likes. But who gets the most likes from Amir?​

This website has gained great popularity as a hub for audio enthusiasts, professionals, and just curious people who want to have well-informed evidence-based discussions about audio equipment. With a vibrant community of contributors, it is fascinating to explore the dynamics of user preferences and interactions within this platform. In this R notebook, we examine user data from the Audio Science Review website to identify the top users based on their likability.

Objective​

The main objective of this analysis is to identify the users who are most liked and respected within the Audio Science Review community. By analyzing user interactions and preferences, we aim to identify those who have made a significant impact, sparked insightful discussions, and attracted the admiration of others, including the website’s host.

Dataset​

Our analysis is based on a comprehensive dataset collected from the Audio Science Review website through web-scraping. This dataset includes users' profiles and comments with likes that are relevant to the study.

Using a Python script, the data was retrieved from the website and stored in .csv files.

comments.csv contains a list of all comments on this website. For each comment, we retrieved the list of user IDs who liked that particular comment.

users.csv contains a list of registered users who have posted at least once on the website.

Who gets the most likes?​

Have a look at the official forum statistics: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?members/&key=highest_reaction_score

Who likes Amir the most?​

And who did Amir get most of the likes from? To find out, we first have to find out who liked whom and how often. We will need these relations for all the website’s users:

Now we can check who Amir received the most likes from:

View attachment 286504
Hugo9000 and Veri are the leaders in this section and liked most comments by Amir.

And who is most liked by Amir?​

Now comes the more interesting part. Who gets liked by Amir the most?

View attachment 286506
As we can see, Blumlein 88 and DonH56 got more likes from the host than anybody else (over 300). But, interestingly, the numbers for each individual user don’t seem to be that high compared to how many likes Amir got from some users, e.g. Hugo9000, Veri, or Xulonn.

Who awards the most likes?​

Who is particularly generous when it comes to handing out likes? Surely we will now see some names we have seen before among Amir’s likers:

View attachment 286505
It is really impressive how many comments were liked by these people. As expected, Hugo9000 and Veri are on this list.
Amir is also presented in this top list. As the number of given comments to certain people was not that high, it means, he gave out likes to a great number of different users.

We would like to receive your feedback and further data analysis questions.
Gosh darn it, I thought those likes were special that I got from them folks! It didn't mean a thing! :D I find those graphs just a little embarrassing, but it's gotta be light-hearted! (Of course, they've mostly been around the longest too).

Top Bottom