• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

mickeyd123

Forum Donor
I like all of them depending on my mood and music I want to listen to. Sometimes via tube amp, sometimes via massdrop thx 789 with balanced cables, or hiby r6 with balanced, or RME ADI-2 DAC non balanced.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is the first time I hear that one of these models is boomy. I don't think that this may be caused by the amplifier, except in cases of really bad design. The output impedance must be quite high to have a significant influence on the sound due to the Sennheissers having 300 Ohm nominally impedance.

If it's just a case of personal preference (fine with me, tastes differ) you may be more happy with AKG K5xx and K7xx. Maybe not those models tuned by musicians, just the standard models.

I found my HD600 a bit wooly when I had it and it certainly lacked bass definition compared with something like the DT 1990 Pro. I find my current HD58X slightly less wooly, and even less so with @solderdude's felt mod.

blank001

Sennheiser HD58X
Sony MDR-V6
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro
Grado 125i

The UE's don't sound very good by modern standards. The grados sound OK with no bass. I like the comfort and weight of the V6, it's balanced but kind of harsh. The 58X is good enough for most things.

Last edited:

onicept

I currently use a Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro with the averaged Sonarworks EQ profile (wonderful software/service, planning on getting my specific unit calibrated). It has replaced both an Eikon and a HD800 (!). It's very comfortable and a fantastic performer with proper EQ. I also own a KSC75 for "casual use", ie when I'm on the iPad/iPhone.
The DT1770 is plugged into an Atom/SDAC stack, which performs well. I can crank the volume way past comfortable levels without any hint of distortion.

mickeyd123

Forum Donor
I currently use a Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro with the averaged Sonarworks EQ profile (wonderful software/service, planning on getting my specific unit calibrated). It has replaced both an Eikon and a HD800 (!). It's very comfortable and a fantastic performer with proper EQ. I also own a KSC75 for "casual use", ie when I'm on the iPad/iPhone.
The DT1770 is plugged into an Atom/SDAC stack, which performs well. I can crank the volume way past comfortable levels without any hint of distortion.
Nice!!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Added NAD HP70 recently. Noise cancelling, bluetooth, etc. NC isn't as wideband as the Bose earbuds, but noise floor of the electronics is lower and the cancelling does well on plane thrum. They seal better behind my ears the HP50 did, but otherwise sound pretty similar. Maybe better defined bass. Headband is more comfortable.

The case is cost-reduced but more useful than HP50. Instead of the nicely finished standalone hard case for cables and adapters with the HP50 there's a little mesh pocket sewn in. The upside is that the new mesh pocket doesn't fall out when you open it quickly and aren't thinking about the case inside the case.

I also picked up a Twelve South Airfly, which is a small bluetooth broadcaster. The pairing works really well on long flights. It's nice to lie your seat down and not worry about pinching a wire. I have not used it with music, only in-flight systems.

Warbles

I still need to sell my HD 58X's because they sound like ass to me. I only have my two other Sennheisers, but I use them constantly. I do not even have portable headphones because I would rather just listen to open headphones at home.
Hey did you sell these yet? The latest tuning of this model and subsequent drooling on (Mass)Drop actually made me desirous for some Sennheiser action for the first time EVER (in my headphone career) . I am in NZ and shipping costs make every apparent bargain turn to custard just like that!

What does "ass" sound like???

Confused_by_tech

Forum Donor
focal elear - I can listen for long periods with good recordings - these were the phones that convinced me that an amp and dac I purchased were named appropriately.

digititus

Ultrasone Pro900. Various chifi IEM's (Dunu) for portable use.

Tup3x

Sennheiser HD 6XX
Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee
Sennheiser HD 595
Sennheiser MX 760 (best earbuds I've ever heard)
Sony WH-1000XM3
Superlux HD-668B (horrible & painful comfort and the sound isn't any better)
BGVP DX3s (lets be honest... MX 760 annihilates them)

Gave my AKG K712 Pro to my bro because I didn't like them at all (plus the comfort wasn't that good). Also had Sennheiser HD 700 but after trying send them back after few minutes of listening (absolutely couldn't stand the shshshshshs treble).

I rate HD 6XX the best out overall out of what I have and have owned. Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee doesn't quite have the same resolution and to me the soundstage is smaller than on HD 6XX. Ideal tuning would probably be something in between them.

Last edited:

jaco61

iBasso SR1 with Pt1 Pads - tonality and signature I like the most of all phones I heard till now. So I sold all the rest ;)

Last edited:

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
...oh No! .. not able to resist again some used hd58x and aq nighthawk ;)
Nighthawks, love them, just don't judge them right away, some folks need time to become accustomed to them. But when you do, you will love them.

jaco61

Nighthawks, love them, just don't judge them right away, some folks need time to become accustomed to them. But when you do, you will love them.
Yes, I had them before and was missing them. Easy to mod b.t.w with e.g. brainwavz hybrid Pads and some dampening of the highs. I love them as they are something really special.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that many headphones need time to adjust to their sound signature. I think this is what many wrongly call burn in, I don't think that burn in is an electrical or mechanical process with the headphones but a psychological one to get used to a different sound. I have just bought a pair of Etymotic ER4 SR IEMs and I did find them rather dry and light at first, after getting used to them I think that they are superb.

Fregly

I think that many headphones need time to adjust to their sound signature. I think this is what many wrongly call burn in, I don't think that burn in is an electrical or mechanical process with the headphones but a psychological one to get used to a different sound. I have just bought a pair of Etymotic ER4 SR IEMs and I did find them rather dry and light at first, after getting used to them I think that they are superb.
The Etys show differences in recording more clearly, even track to track within a recording. I am trying not blame them for showing the facts when something sounds bad. I mean, digital clipping is clear as day with these. If there is bass you get bass, if not you do not etc

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
Bose QC35 (fantastic for me)

Huawei NC 3 earbuds (was curious but NC does not really do much on non-Kirin chipsets as far as I can tell)

Bose Soundsport (makes sound, not bad sound)

Sony in-ear (they are ok but can’t see a model number on them, cost about $20 back in the day)

Apple lightning earbuds (no idea, never used them, disliked the earlier 3.5mm variant)

Verum 1 on the way.

All other stuff used and passed onward so people can have fun.

Top Bottom