• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you review a Synchro-Mesh S/PDIF re-clocker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
frame 1a vs frame 2a.png

Newk Yuler

When I see a reason to change my mind I will.

I've watched Steve change his mind over the years when he discovers or perceives a need to change to pursue improvements. Improvements tested on his bench. That bit about metal and fabric made me laugh, too. :facepalm:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Without EQ turned on I get -300db bit perfect with both pairs of files. Each file in the pair is offset by about 200 samples and is identical otherwise. The A set is 96 khz and the other set is 44 khz. I also get that result with L+R the only difference is dbA results are a bit over 300 db.

emperical audio complete null.png

emperical complete null settings.png

Last edited:

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I reset to the same parameters as you and also got bit perfect with the 24/96 versions.

Yes. At those levels and depending on the options selected, one gets into all kind of numerical representation/accuracy issues. Already talked a bit about those with @pkane privately. I can see people making mountains of "significant differences" in graphs while they don't actually exist.

I'd say either the ideal would be an arbitrary precision mathematical library (with the performance hit) or tracing all computations and tracking their precision, limiting the results. Some results, at the extreme, don't make sense.

(edit: just wanted to add that most of the issues I noticed and due to the graphical library, not the actual program)

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
But it's not a guitar. It's a bass.

'How many strings am I holding up, Winston?'

'Four.'

'And if the party says that it is not four but six -- then how many?'

'Four.'

The word ended in a gasp of pain. The needle of the dial had shot up to fifty-five. The sweat had sprung out all over Winston's body. The air tore into his lungs and issued again in deep groans which even by clenching his teeth he could not stop. O'Brien watched him, the four strings still extended. He drew back the lever. This time the pain was only slightly eased.

'How many strings, Winston?'

'Four.'

The needle went up to sixty.

'Four! Four! What else can I say? Four!'

The needle must have risen again, but he did not look at it. The heavy, stern face and the four strings filled his vision. The strings stood up before his eyes like pillars, enormous, blurry, and seeming to vibrate, but unmistakably four.

'Four! Stop it, stop it! How can you go on? Four! Four!'

'Six! Six! Six!'

'No, Winston, that is no use. You are lying. You still think there are four. How many strings, please?'

'Four! Six! Four! Anything you like. Only stop it, stop the pain!'

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Is it not true that women generally hear better than men? Also wives are usually husbands' closest friends and spend a lot of time around their men while they work on their hobbies (and vice versa). Wife references are valid.

Wife references are such a common trope in high end journalism as to be cliche. Pet references run a close second.

Also, women are not immune to the same psychoacoustic effects that bedevil all humans.

So female references are not necessarily more valid than male.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes. At those levels and depending on the options selected, one gets into all kind of numerical representation/accuracy issues. Already talked a bit about those with @pkane privately. I can see people making mountains of "significant differences" in graphs while they don't actually exist.

Yeah, the lesser null I got with the EQ on (I must have hit a button accidentally...) was still ridiculously good.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
There was no personal comment, it was simply an observation. EA stated he could hear a difference between files and when tested they are identical.

I have reworded the comment in case it was misconstrued.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The files pointed to earlier in the thread on the Mutec. The first two are different in some ways. Here is a Deltawave result comparing them. All the others also compare with about the same results. Most of the difference is between 500 and 1000 hz. I would think this audible. View attachment 23695

View attachment 23696

Can the difference file be made audible ?

Would/could the differences be caused by reclockers or might this be done 'on purpose' to create small audible differences in order to sell a product at the expense of a competitor (which would be a sick thing to do).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can the difference file be made audible ?

Would/could the differences be caused by reclockers or might this be done 'on purpose' to create small audible differences in order to sell a product at the expense of a competitor (which would be a sick thing to do).
Yes it's built-in to the software. Playback of the difference and adjustable boost up to 100 db. I listened and it mostly left a boost around what would be the vocal fundamentals. Everything else was all but gone. I don't know the provenance so don't have anything to say about that.

Get pkane's software and you can listen to it yourself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom