• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shootout between JBL M2 and Revel Salon 2

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 8351 with a sub (preferably 7382) is on par with many big speakers. GLM (Genelec’s DSP) makes sub integration child’s play. How big is your rom? Listening distance?

The room is roughly 3m x 5m, that's a bit inaccurate though because one side opens up directly into the kitchen which increases the volume of the space by probably +50%. Right now I have speakers in front of one of the long walls, so listening distance is ~2.25m. The 7382 looks... a bit too serious for this space, haha. So I'd probably want to do something like 2x 7370.

I'm not in any particular rush to buy new gear, and as I mentioned in another thread I'm probably going to try a (relatively) cost effective multi-channel setup. It would be cost prohibitive with 8351s for me, which is why I'm curious about the Kali IN-8s. I may also end up moving pretty soon, and might have more space. So I'm probably just going to wait and see, get a proper measuring mic and take some measurements of the performance of my current setups and then decide what to do later this year.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
The room is roughly 3m x 5m, that's a bit inaccurate though because one side opens up directly into the kitchen which increases the volume of the space by probably +50%. Right now I have speakers in front of one of the long walls, so listening distance is ~2.25m. The 7382 looks... a bit too serious for this space, haha. So I'd probably want to do something like 2x 7370.

I'm not in any particular rush to buy new gear, and as I mentioned in another thread I'm probably going to try a (relatively) cost effective multi-channel setup. It would be cost prohibitive with 8351s for me, which is why I'm curious about the Kali IN-8s. I may also end up moving pretty soon, and might have more space. So I'm probably just going to wait and see, get a proper measuring mic and take some measurements of the performance of my current setups and then decide what to do later this year.

3x5 meters is perfect for 8351. I had them in a real nearfield setup last week (my family was away for a few days so I could rearrange a bit) and the sound was so good I cannot think of much better speakers if distance from speakers is just a couple of meters. I used them for both music and film. So you could argue that 8351s are dirt cheap...

In bigger rooms, 8351 may/will get too small.

I suggest you go rob a bank!

;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
3x5 meters is perfect for 8351. I had them in a real nearfield setup last week (my family was away for a few days so I could rearrange a bit) and the sound was so good I cannot think of much better speakers if distance from speakers is just a couple of meters. I used them for both music and film. So you could argue that 8351s are dirt cheap...

In bigger rooms, 8351 may/will get too small.

I suggest you go rob a bank!

;)
I find it had to buy into a near $10K a pair for stand mounts?
But then I'm the Cheapskate

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
3x5 meters is a small room although the open back does change things a lot. Is $7750 almost $10 grand? I suppose a pair of 8341's for $6k plus a sub would work just as well. The nearest Genelec dealer is in Dallas, a 5 hour drive from Houston. I also find the finish to be in need of "domestication". I don't know what volumes others around here like, but in a 14'x18' which is open to a small nook and short hallway my (not known for loud volumes) fill the place up. Using a sub does help.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was looking at the 8351s recently, but at $4K/speaker the jump to D&D 8cs doesn't seem all that large, and most seem to agree the 8cs are in a class of their own and also arguably offer more functionality? Both are very expensive speakers, though(for me).
A cheaper very good alternative could be Neumann KH 310 (~2000/speaker) plus a sub. There is no real room eq though. I use the previous model with a single Genelec 7060 as 2.1 configuration in a room with 50 sqare meter for both music and movies and it is really loud enough for me.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
50 M/Sq is a big room. You could park 2 F-150's in there.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Is $7750 almost $10 grand?
Close enough for the cheapskate. :p
Not a criticism, simply an observation.
The price is easier to swallow for a full active than a passive
But still ;)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Close enough for the cheapskate. :p
Not a criticism, simply an observation.
The price is easier to swallow for a full active than a passive
But still ;)

I hear you, but if things get really tight, I can lend a box of ammo.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Filio45

I've been tempted by the 708P for my main system as well. I have the 305P Mk2 in my living room. I've been checking and the 708P never seems to go on sale. Demand must be high. At $4000 USD, its a tough one.

Have you considered 708i (possibly s/h, as they do come up now and then), along with a s/h BSS audio blu 50? Would be cheaper than new 708p's by some margin. Just a thought anyhow...

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yeah, the perfect gun for alligators and hogs who are too mean to stop with a .44 magnum.
44's a good one for groundhogs and such, that's a 44 mag on the right. Serious game call for something a bit stronger. ;)
IMG_1740.JPG

Then it's time for dinner with the bro's
IMG_9527.JPG

scan0003.jpg

Jaimo

Have you considered 708i (possibly s/h, as they do come up now and then), along with a s/h BSS audio blu 50? Would be cheaper than new 708p's by some margin. Just a thought anyhow...

I bit the proverbial 44 Mag bullet and placed my order for a pair of 708P's today. Will pick them up sometime next week.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bit the proverbial 44 Mag bullet and placed my order for a pair of 708P's today. Will pick them up sometime next week.

I got the 708P's too and set them up just an hour ago after re-calibrating with Dirac. Replaced ATC SCM19 speakers.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks, I managed to snag a used pair of 708P's on ebay. Got a very good deal and got very lucky with the seller being great.

Jaimo

Thanks, I managed to snag a used pair of 708P's on ebay. Got a very good deal and got very lucky with the seller being great.

Congratulations and it’s great that your deal worked out well. There’s a pair of 708P’s on EBay atm. The seller is in NYC and has a Steep restocking policy. I wasn’t comfortable with dealing with them and opted to purchase from an authorized dealer.

Also, there’s a pair of M2’s with I-tech amps on sale for C$5600. Seems too good to be true. I contacted the seller and he replied immediately but failed to answer any of my questions. Here’s the link if anyone is interested. - but buyer beware...

http://stereotrading.com/ads/jbls-m2-master-reference-monitor-crown-i-tech-5000hd/

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Congratulations and it’s great that your deal worked out well. There’s a pair of 708P’s on EBay atm. The seller is in NYC and has a Steep restocking policy. I wasn’t comfortable with dealing with them and opted to purchase from an authorized dealer.

Also, there’s a pair of M2’s with I-tech amps on sale for C$5600. Seems too good to be true. I contacted the seller and he replied immediately but failed to answer any of my questions. Here’s the link if anyone is interested. - but buyer beware...

http://stereotrading.com/ads/jbls-m2-master-reference-monitor-crown-i-tech-5000hd/

I did consider those you mention on ebay and yes, the 20% restocking fee is a bit tough to swallow. They claim to be authorized JBL dealers but are not listed on JBL's website. I generally avoid ebay for expensive items, but took a slight risk this time and it paid off. It definitely helps to contact the seller and also read the listing carefully.

Hope you enjoy yours.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
How many subs does one need to take care of a troublesome room?

(My floor is suspended, my room is 15' x 22', but with 3 openings and 12-15' high ceilings, and horrible nulls away from the walls)

2 subs? 4? Does it matter if the subs are push-pull with drivers on each side of the cabinet?

where is the point of diminishing returns?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Two will usually work if you have flexibility in placement. Read Toole's book, Olive's paper, or the Welti paper on the Harman site (I usually suggest starting with the latter). I have four, and for most rooms IMO that is about the point of diminishing returns, but two is plenty for many (perhaps most) rooms while four may not be enough for really challenging rooms. One of the papers suggests three IIRC.

Given the wavelengths involved where the driver(s) point doesn't matter a whole lot.

IME/IMO/FWIWFM - Don (not a speaker designer)

Top Bottom