• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Munich Hi-End

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
And please, an aluminum enclosure for a loudspeaker is not a technology advantage.
Good point!

I faintly remember my earlier ACRON speakers, which were also made of aluminum and had a rounded corner cabinet shape. That was so long ago that I have forgotten when they appeared on the market back then.

Just a thought. Isn't it true that lately the breakthroughs tend to be in low-cost DACs, Class D amplifiers, and powered speakers that don't cost much but objectively deliver great sound?

Contrast that with the material opulence to be admired at this show.

Theodore8

Forum Donor
Just a thought. Isn't it true that lately the breakthroughs tend to be in low-cost DACs, Class D amplifiers, and powered speakers that don't cost much but objectively deliver great sound?
True.

Honest question though: why are we not seeing similar breakthroughs in loudspeaker prices?

Is it because physics impose that good ones be bulky and transport costs are the dominant factor?

DSJR

Major Contributor
Magico supposedly measured and optimized their room acoustics. Someone there please comment on how the new S3 sounds in this room.

View attachment 286413
You mean they might sound crap in an ordinary wealthy bod's living room?

I'll get me coat...

LearningToSmile

Thanks for sharing the link with the photos @Purité Audio I always find coverage of these shows interesting or funny, and this one has very nice shots. The sheer opulence of some of the cable solutions borders on parody:
DSC_2732ss.jpg

I should visit the show one day, I'm not that far from Germany.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some my-hiend photos that may be of interest to ASR users:

DSC_6509ss.jpg

DSC_6713ss.jpg

tomchris

Honest question though: why are we not seeing similar breakthroughs in loudspeaker prices?

Is it because physics impose that good ones be bulky and transport costs are the dominant factor?

Veblen-related reasoning, just like the luxury watch market. No new breakthroughs have been made in a long time. Well-established brands has been living off past legendary status - just like you stated with NAGRA. The list of brands goes on....

LearningToSmile

That must be a piss-take?
that wasn't even the most egregious one, at least the "cable stands" look like just acrylic(though might be crystals or something, I wouldn't be surprised) and not machined metal, and the cables aren't even wrapped in leather and engraved. Funniest part is the cables taking about twice as much floor space as the actual speakers, amplification, and sources.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would love to hear the Linkwitz LX521.4 loudspeakers. Are these "passively" driven by two amplifiers instead of "actively" driven by the usual four amplifiers?
Don't know. The photos on my-hiend did not include descriptions. I'd like to hear them, too.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Und ja, wenn Sie einen „High-End“-DAC zum günstigen Preis wollen, kaufen Sie einen guten, hier gemessenen, günstigen Preis und hängen Sie ein Paar davon an den Ausgang:
:cool:
Why would you want to distort the signal of the DAC, or does that give you the Lundahl sound?

(Nothing against Per Lundahl, I have already met him personally when he gave a lecture at a European Triode Festival and introduced his company).

I have also bought transformers from him for tube amp DIY.

notsodeadlizard

Good point!

I faintly remember my earlier ACRON speakers, which were also made of aluminum and had a rounded corner cabinet shape. That was so long ago that I have forgotten when they appeared on the market back then.

Contrast that with the material opulence to be admired at this show.

There were many of them, made of aluminum alloys.
And Piega about... I listen to their alu floorstenders every day for 2-3 hours and I'm not going to change them for something, I'm fine as it is.
Very pleasant, tireless sound, especially good for piano and small instrumental forms (trios, quartets) with acoustic instruments.
Here Piega and I agree, that's exactly what I listen to.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
There were many of them, made of aluminum alloys.
Yes this is true. My point was that there were some very early on. Which were the first? Does anyone know?

For me it was ACRON. My Neumann KH120, which I bought over 10 years ago, also have aluminum die-cast housings. I think it's a shame that the successor model's cabinet is made of plastic. But it is not so important in the end.

Vuki

Yes this is true. My point was that there were some very early on. Which were the first? Does anyone know?

For me it was ACRON. My Neumann KH120, which I bought over 10 years ago, also have aluminum die-cast housings. I think it's a shame that the successor model's cabinet is made of plastic. But it is not so important in the end.
Visonik David?

maty

Major Contributor
I strongly advise that you listen to the audio

Almost Never Go to a Room 3 Times - IO Designs - So Coherent, Dynamic & Near Perfect for My Tastes

notsodeadlizard

I dare not say.
I have small aluminum three-way Lenco (bought on the occasion for the price of two bottles of beer), they are very nice, I saw the ancient very cool Pioneer, originally from the 1970s.
There were a lot of alu loudspeakers, both small and large.
Al alloys are an excellent material, but they are still too expensive to mass-produce.
(I just love metal things, that's a fact)

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for sharing the link with the photos @Purité Audio I always find coverage of these shows interesting or funny, and this one has very nice shots. The sheer opulence of some of the cable solutions borders on parody: View attachment 286861

I should visit the show one day, I'm not that far from Germany.

More money in cables than my home is worth.

Top Bottom