• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec setups in living rooms [how to]

Ardrazzt

No problem. The 8020D are at around 1.5-2m, while the 8351b are more like 3m away. It is calibrated to around 70dB and I never had the feeling that there was anything missing or audible distortions. The crossover (as set in Dirac Live) is at around 70Hz. Not using GLM, just the straight speakers, digitally connected (SDP-55 -> DANTE -> AES3 -> 8351b), with Dirac doing all of the tuning and integration. I did not play around enough yet to say that this is optimal for me, but I do like how it sounds already, stereo and Atmos.
Thanks, These are more or less the same distances I have. Good to know.

Yuhasz01

After reading that paper from Genelec, where is said that..." below 16 Hz, Not audible for humans." I have some books here dealing with the tuning of musical instruments and they state 15 Hz is the LOWEST AUDIBLE frequency for humans to be perceived as a CONTINUOUS, NON BEATING sound".
So lower than 15 Hz is still heard, but as a beat.

Also, very funny seeing them showing tables starting from 65 m2, 13x5 or 8x8 room !

Edit: I was warned by JiiPee that it is volume and not surface, better matching home room sizes. Thank you. Where can my glasses have got to...?
Frequency may be audible at 15-16 hz but it is not music.

Daaadou

Feedback of my installation after a few months now.
It consists in 3 8340’s, 2 8330’s and a 7370.

The room is 5m x5m and ceiling is at 2m20 height.

It can totally deliver an extremely loud home cinema experience. 7370 mandatory though, only way to get these powerful bass movies require.
We sit 3m 3m50 from the projector screen.
Plus, listening to music in stereo mode is probably the best experience I had with any system, you can listen forever to the system without any fatigue even at high volume.
Spatialisation with glm is delightful, though, the sweet spot is not super wide, I could probably perform a multiple point measurement but got lazy on this one.

Another nice feat is the ability to switch from music in the digital input to AV in the analog input.
I am using a chromecast linked to an optical to aes ebu converter and it works like a charm. Very convenient to turn the 2.1 set up into a smart appliance with the chromecast.
For anyone interested, you need to set up your genelec in automatic mode in glm.

Hephaestus

Listening room in Oulu, Finland. Notice the famous Karuselli chair which matches the design of 8361A perfectly.

2022_B-3.JPG

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is my Genelec setup. Still tweaking the wiring.

Attachments

• D1FF6E73-1CAD-4201-800E-BF8EB9170831.jpeg
    D1FF6E73-1CAD-4201-800E-BF8EB9170831.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 409

cheapsoundguy

I hate to say it, but I am surprised at how bad the pictures on the first page look. I've heard NOTHING but good things about these speakers from an audio perspective, but outside of a dedicated theatre room, they really look out of place...

Edit: I've read through the entire thread now, and some of the smaller/midsize white units look OK. (2.0 / 2.1) But the crazy surround setups with 6ft tall speaker stands in the middle of a room..... yikes. And I am usually one to allow for some performance > design considerations.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate to say it, but I am surprised at how bad the pictures on the first page look. I've heard NOTHING but good things about these speakers from an audio perspective, but outside of a dedicated theatre room, they really look out of place...

Edit: I've read through the entire thread now, and some of the smaller/midsize white units look OK. (2.0 / 2.1) But the crazy surround setups with 6ft tall speaker stands in the middle of a room..... yikes. And I am usually one to allow for some performance > design considerations.
My wife wholeheartedly agrees with you. Me I like the looks.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I love the Genelec aesthetics together with the treatments but it's just too overkill for that room.
9.2.5 in such a small room? And wouldn't the subs behind the W371 completly negate the advantage of cardioid bass?

I think 5.0.4 would be more than enough for a room like that. W371 should be capable of LFE content as well

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I love the Genelec aesthetics together with the treatments but it's just too overkill for that room.
9.2.5 in such a small room? And wouldn't the subs behind the W371 completly negate the advantage of cardioid bass?

I think 5.0.4 would be more than enough for a room like that. W371 should be capable of LFE content as well

The number of channels you need has nothing to do with the size of your room - perhaps the front wires could be dispensed with, but you cannot get proper ‘rear’ (as opposed to ‘side’ directionality without at least 6 channels, and 7 is always better than 6 due to accounting issues with directionality from a mono back signal.

That aside, I find the room claustrophobic and cluttered purely from a practical/aesthetic point of view.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stereo vs multichannel, main vs nearfield listening... What is better, holiday at the beach or in the mountains?

Such questions don't have unique answers and depend on personal preferences and recordings. The large main stereo setup can be a joy for a large stereo scene and very high SPL, on the other hand a good multichannel setup is more immersive and for many (including me) more satisfying.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Obsessing about them is free entertainment and you can assign as many magical qualities to them as you like.
Yeah, I can relate to @Pearljam5000 for sure. I ‘m just not as vocal about it ;). Maybe we should start an AA meeting to discuss..? Oh wait… we’re already doing that right here ;)

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeah, I can relate to @Pearljam5000 for sure. I ‘m just not as vocal about it ;). Maybe we should start an AA meeting to discuss..? Oh wait… we’re already doing that right here ;)
My upgrage obsession ended in 8350s. After a couple of auditions with the Ones I concluded that I'm just never going to pay the difference for the amount of sound quality improvement. I might reconsider if my disposable income increases considerably and I can buy them just for funsies, but otherwise I'm done.

The cure to obsession is just to go and listen with an open mind. Is the magic really there?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
My upgrage obsession ended in 8350s. After a couple of auditions with the Ones I concluded that I'm just never going to pay the difference for the amount of sound quality improvement. I might reconsider if my disposable income increases considerably and I can buy them just for funsies, but otherwise I'm done.

The cure to obsession is just to go and listen with an open mind. Is the magic really there?
What were the main differences between the Ones and 8350?

Top Bottom