• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1st gen SMSL M8 update with screensaver

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As promised, here is a little guide on how to update first generation SMSL M8 units to get the screensaver functionality and prevent the fragile OLED screen from wearing out. It replaces the auto standby functionality. When turned on, the screensaver shuts the screen down after around 15 seconds of inactivity.

Big thanks to @SMSL-Mandy and the SMSL team for providing the software and support! :D

If you already have the screensaver functionality then obviously you don't need this update. Same goes if you prefer to keep the auto standby functionality of course.
To check for this you need to push the left button while the unit is on, and keep it pushed until the functionality toggles (either "auto standby on/off" or "screensaver on/off").

The operation consists in connecting some internal pins of the unit to a USB to serial converter and run a program to update the firmware.
Simple! :)
Of course the usual disclaimer applies here: do all this at your own risk.

Here are the tools you will need:
  • a USB to serial port converter with apparent wires
  • a soldering iron
  • a phillips screw driver :oops:
  • a windows computer
  • the M8 update program, courtesy of SMSL

First things first, you need to check if the program is running on your computer, and if the USB/serial adapter is recognized.

8.png

Obviously I don't have the correct character set installed on my computer, but the important parts are in english.
Once the USB/serial adapter plugged in select its port in the drop menu.

9.png

Now is time to remove the back of the unit.
There are 4 phillips screws under the rubber feets.

1.JPG

Once unscrewed you will need to remove the back panel, which is not an easy task because of the way it is inset.
Using two small flat screwdrivers was the easiest way I found to operate, YMMV.

3.JPG

Here is are the relevant pins on the PCB.

5.JPG

You will need to solder the GND/RX/TX cables of your adapter to the first three pins.

6.JPG

I simply tinned the wires and then gently pushed them upon the pins with the solder iron to make them soak a bit of solder and fix the wire.
I must confess I am not very handy with a soldering iron, so feel free to use a better method as you see fit. Of course the quality of the connection does not matter too much here, as long as it works and is easy to remove afterward.

7.JPG

Leaving the unit unplugged from its DC adapter, press the "Download/Program" button (with the USB adapter plugged in and the correct COM port chosen in the drop list).
You should see a "Checking target MCU..." message on the console.

10.png

Plug the DC adapter.
The unit will automatically turn on and the update software will do its job.
After a few seconds here is what you should see.

11.png

Complete!

You can check it worked by holding the power button

12.JPG

success.png

Now just unsolder or cut the wires, put the cover/screws/feet back, and enjoy a unit that will not slowly self destruct while being used :D

Last edited:

Tatteredmidnight

Wish this fix had been available before my screen burned in horribly. On the other hand, I got a refund on it while getting to keep a 90% functional dac. Thankfully screens don't effect sound quality.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I just wish this was available for the DX7. My screen is slowly dieing as the DX7 is on all day every day.
Now that I don't really use the M8, its sitting in the box I received back from Amir and the DX7's screen is wasting away.
Maybe we can get Topping to do the same update!

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
I just wish this was available for the DX7. My screen is slowly dieing as the DX7 is on all day every day.
Now that I don't really use the M8, its sitting in the box I received back from Amir and the DX7's screen is wasting away.
Maybe we can get Topping to do the same update!

That is ok,get the update program first.

denydog

Thank you for this guide. Glad I ran across it.

My first gen unit's display has dimmed a bit since I got it on Massdrop for $150 in 2016, but it's not that noticeable unless compairing with new.

The guide is simple and effective.

I just wish I had tried plugging the $10 USB-to-Serial-Port converter into my laptop, before I put together the "special" connecting cable I thought I would need. lol. Also, your soldering looks fine for the purpose, better than mine. I am embarrassed to show in detail. I used to be certified solder instructor for the company, mil spec, and later ISO9000.

The kitchen workshop in action.

20190314_134826.jpg

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thank you for this guide. Glad I ran across it.

My first gen unit's display has dimmed a bit since I got it on Massdrop for $150 in 2016, but it's not that noticeable unless compairing with new.

The guide is simple and effective.

I just wish I had tried plugging the $10 USB-to-Serial-Port converter into my laptop, before I put together the "special" connecting cable I thought I would need. lol. Also, your soldering looks fine for the purpose, better than mine. I am embarrassed to show in detail. I used to be certified solder instructor for the company, mil spec, and later ISO9000.

The kitchen workshop in action.

View attachment 23647
Very cool! I've since sold my M8 though. It has a new home and someone who enjoys it!

beardyman

Does anybody still have the firmware file? Unfortunately the link no longer works.

I bought a 1st gen m8 in 2015. I've been very happy with the sound quality, but the screen has degraded quite badly over time, so I would like to make sure it doesn't get any worse!

Also wondering if anyone has managed to successfully replace the screen? It looks like an easy enough job, but the screen module appears to be proprietary to SMSL.

Thanks in advance!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Does anybody still have the firmware file? Unfortunately the link no longer works.

I bought a 1st gen m8 in 2015. I've been very happy with the sound quality, but the screen has degraded quite badly over time, so I would like to make sure it doesn't get any worse!

Also wondering if anyone has managed to successfully replace the screen? It looks like an easy enough job, but the screen module appears to be proprietary to SMSL.

Thanks in advance!
Have you tried reaching out to them? I know there is @SMSL-Mandy & @SMSL_Liu on this forum also.

beardyman

OK, I'm a moron, the link does still actually work! Going to try and install it now.

beardyman

Thanks Jimster and anyone else who read my post, I managed to get it installed. It took me a while, and for a long time I couldn't understand why it wasn't working. I thought it could be because I'm using Windows in a virtual machine on VirtualBox on a Mac, but it turned out that I'd just mixed up RX and TX, despite repeated checking!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thanks Jimster and anyone else who read my post, I managed to get it installed. It took me a while, and for a long time I couldn't understand why it wasn't working. I thought it could be because I'm using Windows in a virtual machine on VirtualBox on a Mac, but it turned out that I'd just mixed up RX and TX, despite repeated checking!
I'm glad that it worked for you!

beardyman

Thanks, I appreciate your help! If it helps anyone else, when I clicked on the link it gave me a dropbox link in a very small window, which I assumed was an error message, as it didn't seem to let me download anything. But eventually I realised I could scroll within the tiny window, and get to a working download link! Just need to sort out my worn out display now!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thanks, I appreciate your help! If it helps anyone else, when I clicked on the link it gave me a dropbox link in a very small window, which I assumed was an error message, as it didn't seem to let me download anything. But eventually I realised I could scroll within the tiny window, and get to a working download link! Just need to sort out my worn out display now!
You could try contacting them (SMSL) to see if there are any replacement displays available if you are willing to put the display in yourself. Might be worth it because I cannot imagine that the display is very costly.

OP
pos

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here is the exe file in a zip, in case it disappear from my dropbox for whatever reason :)

Attachments

• M8 update.zip
    202 KB · Views: 127

beardyman

Here is the exe file in a zip, in case it disappear from my dropbox for whatever reason :)
Thanks for hosting the file and also for your tutorial. I couldn't have upgraded the firmware without your guide.

Reactions: pos
Top Bottom