• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are GIK Acoustic's Sound Blocks really a revolutionary concept?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Trell

Major Contributor
Just noticed the centre speaker. Bravo for not following the crowd! As you very clearly demonstrated, a bookshelf speaker can easily does the job.

The sound with the bookshelf is better, especially the dialogue when slouching in the sofa in a corner, compared to my older 2.5 way MTM horizontal centre speaker.

When I got my OLED a couple years ago, replacing my old plasma TV, I could wall mount it as well as replacing my older 2.5 way MTM with the bookshelf as now I had the space underneath.

807Recordings

GIK: I found them to be pretty helpful in offering some real acoustic advice and actually in my earlier years helped explain some concepts. I think it was Brian (could be wrong name) who explained what is possible and not in one of my rooms. At least it set me on a better understanding that I later read and learned some more from.
I use their panels in my studio with the membrane absorbers and they do work better than standard DIY Rock wool types.

As I am not a fanboy of anyone I try to keep open minded and find it interesting what is show by the OP. Surprised Glenn from GIK didn't comment in hear as normally they have addressed concerns in the past that I also would like to see cleared up.

hemiutut

Bottom line is that these type of measurements and today's measuring standards are simply inadequate. This is also why RPG acoustics uses an impredance tube to meausure low frequencies.

Read about diffraction effects by Ron Sauro here:

Ron's conclusion is the following:
Since Mr. Ron Sauro comes up, I recommend
this video.

written with translator

Greetings

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
GIK is good source for buying built-it-yourself absorption panel materials. I haven't used them for anything else, really.

Trell

Major Contributor
GIK is good source for buying built-it-yourself absorption panel materials. I haven't used them for anything else, really.

As far as I know most of this service is only available in USA. In Europe you can buy from them acoustically transparent cloth that is fire proof, but not much else.

For the record I've many of their panels at home, and I'm generally quite happy with them. As they where bought during COVID there where some issues with QC that where solved.

Top Bottom