• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Allo Katana and ApplePi Raspberry Pi DACs

Music1969

Major Contributor
Also, @johan, what's the reason DSD256 is not supported by Katana DAC?

The ESS chip used can support it.

Did Allo find measurements were negatively affected with DSD256?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hello @johan

Are there plans for an Allo networked DAC (doesn't have to be RPi based) that can support DXD and DSD256 rates on ethernet input?

johan

Audio Company
Using RPI is not possible to get to DSD 256 since i2s bus is limited on all SBCs. The only option is to use some type of "streamer" lile our USBridge or the cheap RPI and feed a USB based DAC

Music1969

Major Contributor
Using RPI is not possible to get to DSD 256 since i2s bus is limited on all SBCs.

I know RPi is not possible that's why I mentioned "doesn't have to be RPi based".

And I'm looking to avoid USB (extra box and extra PSU).

So I assume a networked Allo DAC (non RPi) supporting DXD/DSD256 is not in your plans at the moment?

johan

Audio Company
No SBC (single board computer) RPI or other has that capability. I2s bus is limited. For DSD 256 or higher USB is a must

Music1969

Major Contributor
No SBC (single board computer) RPI or other has that capability. I2s bus is limited. For DSD 256 or higher USB is a must

On PinkFishMedia Forum, John Westlake says he is using the Raspberry CM3 board in his next DAC (network input) and says DSD256 is working fine in the lab so far.

Unless there is USB involved inside the DAC box?

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Thats exactly what he is doing. USB from RPI to Xmos of the DAC

Ok noted. Thanks for the info.

Hopefully a SBC does come along with I2S bus DSD256 support. Not holding my breath though.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @johan

I'm interested in Katana DAC for my networked Roon listening but at my computer desktop I also like to connect via TOSLink to my Mac for CoreAudio sound (YouTube, Netflix etc).

Is there a compatible HAT that can be added to Katana stack, with a TOSlink input, that connects to the D-to-A circuitry of Katana?

I know a separate DAC/Amp can be used for Mac CoreAudio sound and I could just unplug headphones between amps but would love to avoid un-plugging and re-plugging headphone cable if possible.

Last edited:

johan

Audio Company
Katana is a master DAC , meaning that cloks come from DAC ic. In case of Spidif , clocks must come from spidif stream so its not compatible.

wannarock2

Hi Johan, thanks in advance for your feedback on my questions. I am interested in understanding the Katana + Isolator default power source settings.

As I understand it, this specific unit ships with the default power configuration requiring two (2) power sources - one to the Micro Controller and one to the Isolator. Is that correct?

If that is correct and is indeed how this unit is shipped will I be 'covered' by ordering an additional 5V power supply from your site? In other words, the unit comes with one power supply, so I will require an additional power supply?

Lastly, in using two (2) power supplies can they both be activated (turned-on) at the same time or do they need to be sequenced in their start-up? Cheers

Last edited:

johan

Audio Company
Hi ,

we are developing a LPS with dual 5V output, it should be out in a few weeks. Yes you need 2x5V PSUs for best quality . Yes we include only one PSU

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi ,

we are developing a LPS with dual 5V output, it should be out in a few weeks. Yes you need 2x5V PSUs for best quality . Yes we include only one PSU
Is it substantially better than current allo katana low ripple switching supply? I am so far pretty satisfied with this supply :)

johan

Audio Company
yes substantially better. In fact , by using the LPS , we can see THD+N gets better by 1.5db

wannarock2

Hi ,

Thanks johan, please let us know when this LPS is released and available.

johan

Audio Company
I will let you know , tentative date less than 6 weeks away

fabio1068

Hello,

has anybody measured the difference between "Pure THD" and "Sound Quality" version of the Katana DAC?
It would be interesting to understand why people prefer the "Sound Quality" stage even if it has worst measurements.
The only difference between the two boards is a low pass filter just before the I/V conversion.

audioBliss

Very few reviews of this unit on the web so really nice to see some published figures. Looks to perform pretty good. I wonder how the new version measures with the isolation card and the "sound quality" output stage.

Top Bottom